It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to know whats in the Patriot Act 2?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Would you like to know what may be in the new patriot act 2? Got questions as to which rights you will lose? Here are the answeres to your questions. The link below will take you to a page that contains a document marked confidential that is a copy of the Patriot Act 2 draft. This may or may not be the real thing, however, it originated from the PBS website.

www.daily...-------------------------/source-docs/patriot2draft.html

Read it and let me know what you think.

Edit:

Skeptic Overlord suggested I put this link up as well.
www.pbs.org...

[edit on 11/29/04 by Kidfinger]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Scary stuff, man...scary stuff...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Here is a small excerpt.

Section 105: Law Enforcement Use of FISA Information.

50 U.S.C. � 1806(b) currently prohibits the disclosure of information "for law enforcement purposes" unless the disclosure includes a statement that the information cannot be used in a criminal proceeding without the Attorney General's advance authorization. This provision would amend � 1806(b) to give federal investigators and prosecutors greater flexibility to use FISA-obtained information. Specifically, it would eliminate the requirement that the Attorney General personally approve the use of such information in the criminal context, and would substitute a requirement that such use be approved by the Attorney General, the Deputy Attorney General, the Associate Attorney General, or an Assistant Attorney General designated by the Attorney General.

Translation: We will now trample all over your judiciary rights.

Of course this is just my opinion, but.........It reads this way to me.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Soylent Communications assumes no liability for the content of this file, nor any errors or inaccuracies in the transcription. When in doubt, refer to the source document

Is that Soylent, as in Soylent Green?

friggin hilarious.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
i can only hope that this one doesn't get rushed through congress and members actually take the time to read it. We're all going to be screwed if that thing passes.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by moxyone

Is that Soylent, as in Soylent Green?

friggin hilarious.

Are you reffering to the made for TV movie released in 1973? Stared Charlton Heston as a gritty NY detective. The soylent green wafers in the movie ended up being processed people! Nasty food substitute

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The ACLU website also has an analysis of the PAII that is excellent reading. It breaks down various sections explaining how the Act diminishes civil liberties.

The legal analysis can be found here - ACLU

B.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Absolutely.

I loved that flick...course I was just a kid.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
i can only hope that this one doesn't get rushed through congress and members actually take the time to read it. We're all going to be screwed if that thing passes.

I think this is why the draft was released on the net. So more people could read it and be aware of its contents. A bold move for whomever released the document, and perhaps a blow for those who are trying to pass it.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
what the hell? never thought....this will happen.. wonder if these laws are enacted, will they remain there, for good? if that is so, we are in a mess!

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I�ve been reading more of this draft. What I�ve read really scares me. This act removes all privacy rights you ever had. All you have to have happen is to be accused of being a terrorist. There are no checks and balances to the system to prevent this. Your financial records, bank statements, credit reports, all are far game if you have been labeled an terrorist. Here is a quote of some of the draft that shows this.

(1) 18 U.S.C. � 2709--Providing FBI access, in connection with investigations of international terrorism or espionage, to certain electronic communication transactional records maintained by communication service providers.

(2) Section 625(a)-(b) of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. � 168 Iu(a)(b))--Providing FBI access, in connection with investigations of international terrorism or espionage, to certain consumer information maintained by consumer reporting agencies.

(3) Section 626 of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. � 1681v)--Providing access to consumer reports and other consumer information maintained by consumer reporting agencies, where needed by government agencies authorized to investigate or carry out intelligence or analysis activities related to international terrorism.

(4) Section 1114(a)(5) of the Right to Financial Privacy Act (12 U.S.C. � 3414(a)(5))--Providing FBI access, in connection with investigations of international terrorism or espionage, to financial records maintained by financial institutions.

(5) Section 802(a) of the National Security Act of 1947 (50 U.S.C. � 436(a))--Providing access by authorized investigative agencies to financial records and information, consumer reports, and travel records in relation to a person having access to classified information, based on indications that the person has disclosed or may disclose classified information to a foreign power.

Oh, if your arrested for possession of a drug, even if its marijuana, they wont have to release you. So if you smoke pot, you better watch out. You may be held as a terrorist because you had drugs on you. They have made a profile of a terrorist and any laws that a terrorist might break have been included. So if you break just one of these profile laws, you can be held accordingly.

This section would amend 18 U.S.C. � 3142(e) to presumptively deny release to persons charged with crimes listed in 18 U.S.C. � 2332b(g)(5)(B), which contains a standard list of offenses that are likely to be committed by terrorists. This presumption is warranted because of the unparalleled magnitude of the danger to the United States and its people posed by acts of terrorism, and because terrorism is typically engaged in by groups -- many with international connections -- that are often in a position to help their members flee or go into hiding.

If this new Patriot act is passed, our basic rights are gone. Period. End of story. There are many more examples if you read this. I just find this all a little disturbing that if you want to be a patriot in the eyes of Bush, you must give up certain rights.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

The last one was a complete farce, with various memebers being threatened by Ashcrof to vote for it etc.

Some "democracy"

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas
The last one was a complete farce, with various memebers being threatened by Ashcrof to vote for it etc.
Some "democracy"

The bigger question is why didn't those members stand up and say "No!"? Is is because they are afraid of losing their privilege and status?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by titian
The bigger question is why didn't those members stand up and say "No!"? Is is because they are afraid of losing their privilege and status?

I have a feeling that its even worse than that. I think thier power in government has been undermined and they knew it when they passed the bill. This is also why I think this new patriot act 2 will pass as well.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Do not allow this to happen without mass public regection!!

I seen and witnessed time and again how the police severly abused phase 1 !

If you my fellow americans lay down for this without protest you have absolutly no idea the monster you are going to unleash!!

This Act Only Has One Goal If Allowed to Pass You may as well step back into history 65 years into Germany! Dont Believe Me Let it Pass And have one small brush with the law!

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Under the Patriot Act, Everyone Is a Terrorist, Any act of breaking the law under the Patriot Act (the name is the farthest from its true nature) is considered an act of terrorism therfore anything you do, or Dont Do, falls under the "Patriot Act"

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Patriot Act 2 totally shreds the Constitution.

The first Patriot Act was passed quickly because people were told that if they didn't, and they had another attack, people's blood would be on their hands. Keep in mind this was right after 9/11 so emotions were still running high.

What's really bad is, if people say no way to Patriot Act 2, suddenly there might be another attack, and 2 will pass--like, see, we told you!

Either way you look at it we're screwed.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst

Either way you look at it we're screwed.

I agree. If this doesnt get passed, I wouldnt put it past the current administration to provoke the passing of it. There is nothing this administration will not do to remain dominating in todays society.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
There is going to be a mass exodus from this country.

What is happening to our country? Do we just sit back and allow this to happen?

This is all very upsetting.

Every country in the world has experienced some terrorism. No other country has taken these drastic steps. Does anyone now believe we're thouroughly screwed?

If this isnt the most pathetic effort to the road to tiranny i dont know what is. sick.

[edit on 30-11-2004 by dgtempe]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
There is going to be a mass exodus from this country.

And go where? UK's coming up with the same kinds of BS, and so is Australia. Canada has these stupid hate speech laws, so a Christian isn't welcome there.

Every country in the world has experienced some terrorism. No other country has taken these drastic steps. Does anyone now believe we're thouroughly screwed?

I've known this for some time. I don't see other countries with that stupid little color chart. Who cares about terrorists--we already have our gummint trying to freak us out!

On a lighter note, you should see some of the Fark.com photoshops with that thing! Sesame Street characters....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join