It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newsweek Got it Right (Quran in the toilet)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
So the Bush Butchers are lying again, so what’s new.

Newsweek Got it Right
By Calgacus
www.mediachannel.org...

Snip~

CAMBRIDGE, MA, May 15, 2005 — Contrary to White House spin, the allegations of religious desecration at Guantanamo published by Newsweek on May 9, 2005, are common among ex-prisoners and have been widely reported outside the United States. Several former detainees at the Guantanamo and Bagram prisons have reported instances of their handlers sitting or standing on the Quran, throwing or kicking it in toilets, and urinating on it. Prior to the Newsweek article, the New York Times reported a Guantanamo insider asserting that the commander of the facility was compelled by prisoner protests to address the problem and issue an apology. Link

"Ehsannullah, 29, said American soldiers who initially questioned him in Kandahar before shipping him to Guantanamo hit him and taunted him by dumping the Quran in a toilet. 'It was a very bad situation for us,' said Ehsannullah, who comes from the home region of the Taliban leader, Mohammad Omar. 'We cried so much and shouted, "Please do not do that to the Holy Quran."'
(Marc Kaufman and April Witt, "Out of Legal Limbo, Some Tell of Mistreatment," Washington Post, March 26, 2003.)

Also citing the toilet incident is testimony by Asif Iqbal, a former Guantanamo detainee who was released to British custody in March 2004 and subsequently freed without charge:

"The behavior of the guards towards our religious practices as well as the Quran was also, in my view, designed to cause us as much distress as possible. They would kick the Quran, throw it into the toilet, and generally disrespect it." Center for Constitutional Rights PDF Format.

My Hell in Camp X-Ray

ATS
WAR: Newsweek May Have Erred in Koran Desecration Report

[edit on 18/5/2005 by Sauron]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
they are still not sure, maybe NYtimes has the same source

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
Snip~
have reported instances of their handlers sitting or standing on the Quran, throwing or kicking it in toilets, and urinating on it.

So the rabid left and terrorists are lying again, so what's new?

I don't believe terrorists. Newsweek has already said it was wrong.
Deal with it.

Oh ... and even if our people did sit, stand, throw, or urinate on
the Quran, so what? It's just a book. And it was a book that the
USA paid for to put in the cells of murderous terrorists. We didn't
have to. We could have left them without anything, or just killed
them like the terrorists do to those who don't believe exactly like
they do. The terrorists rape, maime, torture and kill (all against the
Geneva Convention). THEY desecrate holy places in Christianity
and in the Jewish, Hindu and Buddhist religions
all the freak'n time. 2 years ago they left the Church of the Nativity in
shambles with broken wine bottles, cigarrette butts, and the BIBLE
used as toilet paper. They didn't care. Recently they completely sacked
Joseph's tomb. Geee no apologies from them at all. And on and on
and on they do it over and over ....

Double standard. They think they have God's mandate to do it to
everyone else, but no one had better dare sit on a Quran or they
are evil and worthy of death. Freak'n idiots. To them I say -
'booo - freak'n - hoooo' I don't care.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Wow, this is quite a conspiracy! Newsweek is even in on it, which is pretty ironic considering they're the original ones who published the story.

I love how a single individual's words, as long as they rabidly hate America, hold far more wieght than evidence and the words of people serving their country. I guess if I try to kill children and plot the removal of the United States as a world power, I would gain a lot of credibility.

Odd

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
this is silly and irrelevant. anyone can say anything, if they have a web site, and it's not very hard at all to dress B.S. up like a news story.

[edit on 5/18/2005 by Odd]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
These allegations have been bandied about for years, but have never been able to be confirmed at all. Where Newsweek was wrong was in saying that the military had confirmed them. Newsweek certainly didn't get it right here!

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

You have voted Sauron for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

I like You Sauron, altho your name somehow Frightens me...

Thanks for clearing this mess up. I smelled that Rat in the Beginning.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

I like You Sauron, altho your name somehow Frightens me...

Thanks for clearing this mess up. I smelled that Rat in the Beginning.

I think I need to change my sig to the Wizard's First Rule: People will believe what they want to believe or fear to believe.

Uncorroborated and unsubstantiated reports that support what you want to see (that America is the Icon of Evil with Satan himself posing as Bush), and you know it to be true, beyond a shadow of doubt.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The whole things a tempest in a teapot, Newsweek simply reported the same stuff that has been reported over and over again since the first prisoners were released from Gitmo and started telling their story.

It was just convenient for the administration to use it to shame the media into silence. The line from the right sems to be that the media ought not to report things that make the US look bad, regardless of whether they're true or not.

Not particularly suprising I guess. When your whole worldview is based in make-believe, you don't want anyone screwing it up with uncomfortable facts.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
The whole things a tempest in a teapot, Newsweek simply reported the same stuff that has been reported over and over again since the first prisoners were released from Gitmo and started telling their story.

It was just convenient for the administration to use it to shame the media into silence. The line from the right sems to be that the media ought not to report things that make the US look bad, regardless of whether they're true or not.

Not particularly suprising I guess. When your whole worldview is based in make-believe, you don't want anyone screwing it up with uncomfortable facts.

Well, that or report things that they can back up. You know, things that are...oh, I dunno, true and provable. Otherwise, move it to the editorial page.

Oh, and this just in:

An unnamed source has just called me and told me that ATS is actually being run by aliens trying to figure out how to stop the believers in them from believing in them. Expect a visit from your local Grey.

That little story had as much evidence supporting my claims as the Newsweek one did.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
News organizations are under no obligation to report the truth. Fox won their case against the two reporters, remember?

The news is entertainment now, that's indisputable.

And "You don't listen to terrorists"???

How do you know who is a terrorist? Do you conduct your own investigations, or are you just swallowing the line that's fed to you?

I'm sure it's the latter.

Look, the technique is probably very effective, and it's not physically harming the detainees. It's morally repugnant, but then again, what isn't these days?

We've lowered ourselves to fight this war, and that lowering, that process of abandoning the higher ground, it will lead inexorably into defeat.

Always does.

But don't jump all over Newsweek for printing a story Fox would have loved to get their hands on.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I'd like to see the toilet that accepts books the size of that one.

Regardless, as far as I'm concerned, the true story is the reaction of the Islamic world to that alleged incident. The killing of, what, 17 people who had nothing to do with it? Meanwhile, the routinely blow up innocent people, kill Christians because they tolerate no other religion, etc. This is the story that should be noted, but the media continues to make it the religion of peace.

Pull out, let the country go whichever way it wants, and leave them the heck alone unless they become a direct and overt threat.

At the same time, stop ignoring the fact that the U.S. mosques are recruiting grounds for those who hate this nation and want to overthrow it. Realize that it is not the American nation that practices intorlerance, but the Islamic world, and take steps necessary to protect ourselves.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
People will believe what they want to believe or fear to believe.

This Applies also to you my Friend - so tell me, what is that you want to Belive?

I sure dont buy ANY stuff, that your president, along with his mafia bosses is trying to sell Me!

Sooner or later, the Truth will come out - and then you will realize your own mistakes, when defending these people.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Rumsfield: News week has made us look bad in the eyes of the world. Excuse me while I try to stop laughing.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
To those who talk about being fed lies by the meidia well maybe you right we are fed lies by the media, May i suggest to you to make arabic website and tell that to the morons who killed each other in a riot because they blindly believed the media.

Or do these lies only work one way?

[edit on 18-5-2005 by C0le]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
WyrdeOne, it appears you've already assumed guilt here. What is your justification/reasoning to assume the story must be true?

I'd also like to point this out, too.

Also, for the record, how did they get those copies of the Koran at Gitmo? Oh, right, those horrible, intollerant, evil Americans gave them to the suspected terrorists. Ahh, and the infidels went and gave the prison guards training on proper handling of the Koran and even went so far as to get them all gloves for when they have to handle the book. Yet, that doesn't get reported. That can be confirmed, and has been by detainees who have been released. Instead, reports of alleged defilement of the Koran (if it gets knocked to the floor somehow, the Koran is to be destroyed) with no named sources and only one, for that matter, get major press and are assumed to be true because America is so evil and intollerant of Islam.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

This Applies also to you my Friend - so tell me, what is that you want to Belive?

This applies to everyone, myself included. However, like prejudice, recognising it is 90% of the battle. After you know you're inclined to believe what you want to believe, you can take steps to confirm of negate that which you are in the process of believing. Why do you think I come to a largely liberal, anti-American message board regularly?

I sure dont buy ANY stuff, that your president, along with his mafia bosses is trying to sell Me!

So you believe (or rather "know") that everything America says is a lie? And this mentality seems sound to you? I don't even believe that when it comes to North Korea!

link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Guilty Until Proven Innocent, But Only For The GOP And America

Oh, JJ, if we only had it that good! The real rule is GOP and America always guilty -- Dems and Liberals always innocent and right, no matter the evidence. Look at Clinton, even DNA evidence couldn't convict him.

link   
Double post, please delete.

[edit on 5/18/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Newsweek Got It Right?

:shk:

Okie dokie.
Another "a" typical liberal move.
Worthy of a read. Don't be scared.

Newsweek retracts story but the liberal media says it's probably true anyway and points the finger at the bullies in the administration.

Newsweek has rejected the resignation of Michael Isikoff, which is probably the correct thing to do. Although the fabricated story was written by Isikoff, it was Newsweek that published the libel and it is Newsweek that is responsible for the deaths in Afghanistan.

But all the big shots at Newsweek were innocent. In the case of the Koran item, Newsweek Managing Editor Whitaker said he did not see the final version because he was traveling on personal business. Managing Editor Jon Meacham said he was out of town for an interview and for the White House Correspondents Association dinner.

Now, the mainstream press press is circling the wagons and coming to the defense of their colleagues at Newsweek. And in their analysis and reporting of Toiletgate, the liberal media is employing the Dan Rather/Memogate technique of denying any culpability while repeating the libel and slander endlessly. The press is defending Newsweek with one of two theories. The first is al Qaeda doesn't lie. The second is it's not Newsweek's fault.

Absolutely more here:
Who you gonna believe, the administration or al Qaeda?

The liberal media has taken the position of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."

17 Muslims dead, countless wounded, but its not Newsweek's fault, its Bush's fault........againX100. :shk:

seekerof

top topics

<<   2 >>

join