It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Gates contributes 250 million bucks.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
u think Bill Gates really cares about AIDs victims or is this just for public relations to show Microsoft in good light instead of some coporation that cares only about money.

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 16-5-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
u think Bill Gates really cares about AIDs victims or is this just for public relations to show Microsoft in good light instead of some coporation that cares only about money.

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 16-5-2005 by deltaboy]

of course he is evil, he is successful ! we all know you have to make a deal with the devil to be a business success. Nobody can do it on hard work and guts. satan !

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Gates realizes that the 40 Billion Dollars in assets he has is worthless. Since he cannot spend it all, he knows it can do good in the hands of those that need it. Yeah, rich and famous, must be the Anti-Christ. Next people will say that 250 million is a drop in the bucket. These are the same people that will forget that Gates has already contributed over 25 BILLION dollars to 3rd world countries. Then again it can be said hes just working on future customers for his software. Why cant somoenes generosity just be seen as that, not some big conspiracy or devil worship?

www.gatesfoundation.org...

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Actually in a documentary I seen on him somewhere, they talk to him and so on about things he has, had, will do in his life. He goes on to say this.

"My life long goal is to give away most of my fortune to people who are less fortunate than I am."

He also give to alot more than 3rd world countries.

He has given computers to libraries, given money to countless groups, and all and all he seems to be a very decent guy outside the MS name.

If I would pick anyone to be my hero I guess it would be Bill Gates, cause he is the only person on the planet to show what a nice person is, who dont care how much he give to someone else, just to talk about it somewhere else where most people do, as for him he keeps it to himself and nobody ever hears about it till now and wants to make a conspircy on it cause he is the anti christ or something.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Well that's about half of what he should commit to creating an O/S that works.

Sanc'.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
He's also shut down state governments demanding proof of operating system liscenses on every one of their computers used by the state (he's done that twice now, effectivly closing down the state's governments for several weeks while they try to gather the info Gates demanded.) The only innovation Microsoft has come out with that is their own is that damn paperclip helper, and there's question as to Gates stealing that idea from someone else. His business practices are some of the shadiest I've ever read about, making Steve Jobs look like a boyscout.

Bill Gates bullies, monopolizes, buys out, or punishes everyone who gets in his way, be it government institution or start-up company.

Y'all who know me know I'm a pretty hard core conservative. However, conservativism doesn't work if there are no business opportunities which can grow. With Bill Gates at the helm of Microsoft, that opportunity doesn't exist in the computer world. If you come up with something innovative, you will either be bought out, or Microsoft will make a similar product and give it away until you're out of the market.

See this for more info on Bill's fantastic business practicies.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   

[u think Bill Gates really cares about AIDs victims or is this just for public relations to show Microsoft in good light

With that much of a donation,who the heck cares.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
How is this a conspiracy, btw? His motives for the donation are conspiratorial??? That seems pretty weak.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Two things:

About investing in an OS that works, no software is perfect. Windows alone brings in profits of at least $1Billion a year. If you dont like it, try Linux or whatever, stop bitching about it.

The OS license thing is the right of Microsoft to demand at anytime, especcially for large organizations. And I doubt that the state governments shut down. Heck, the state and federal governments barely work as it is now, so would you even notice a shut down? They will be allowed to use the software while they compile thier COAs.

Bill Gates and Microsoft are the most successful buisness ventures in the last 20 years, and everyone hates that. Standard Oil was the target last century, I guess its Microsoft this time. So Netscape has failed, and Apple cant get a market share of more than 5%. You know why, because Netscape was charging 40 bucks for thier browser in the beginning. Microsoft offered it for free. Free or pay 40 bucks? I think Ill pick free.

Apple computers are great, but they are so expensive. They are very stylish, but I dont think Im going to fork over 4000 bucks for something when I can get something even better for a quarter of that. If Apple really wanted a larger market share, the cost of thier junk would drop by at least half.

Mozilla and Google are competing against Microsoft, and people are picking those products. Despite your raving conservative values, there is plenty of innovation in the technology market.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by WissNX01
Apple computers are great, but they are so expensive.

You get what you pay for.

Sanc'.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Yeah, Im a cheap Jerk, okay, I dont like to pay for anything.

[edit on 05/5/16 by WissNX01]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
No you don't Sanctum. You see, Macs are a type of Grie Grie, like a rabbit foot or "lucky" pair of socks. They don't actually do anything, but you think they do, but they don't.

Also, WTF? "YEA! I can type 5 papers up at once! Oops, tried to play solitaire, system overload, crash, everything lost for unlike WIndows, you lose something, it is GONE!

Or, "Hmmm, can only type up one paper at a time, so slow.... But can play Half Life 2, D2, Doom 3, and any other kick ass game."

Macs are like Nintendo, if they were the only ones they would be great, but since the competition is better, they suck.

Also, loved this commercial. "Apple says people don't hack their computers. Well, here's why." Cuts away to a rusted out pos car with the Apple symbol. Next to it is a Jaguar with "PC" on the door. A guy walks up and it stops. "You are going to steal a car, do you take A:Rusted Out Apple B:New SHiney PC: C:Neither" Then it goes back and the guy goes over and steals the Jaguar. "Just because people don't hack your car doesn't make it better."

members.cox.net... This is another good one. Should work, if it doesn't I will edit later.

[edit on 16-5-2005 by James the Lesser]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Yeah, Im a cheap Jew, okay, I dont like to pay for anything.

WissNX01, yeah there's nothing as sweet as a free trojan.

Sanc'.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I dont have a problem with viruses or trojans. I have so much security on my PCs it take half my RAM to keep them going. PCs that get infected with these things are operated by inexperienced and unknowing users.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Two things:

About investing in an OS that works, no software is perfect. Windows alone brings in profits of at least $1Billion a year. If you dont like it, try Linux or whatever, stop bitching about it.
I do, but I'll keep bitching about it because my company forces Win 2k as the standard operating system. Therefore, as a sys admin, I work extensivly with Windows. Plus, it doesn't look like I'll be able to use Linux for much longer. Because Microsoft controls most of the market share, most programs are made for Windows. Thankfully, there have been Windows shells for Linux, Unix, and OS9. However, Microsoft has figured out how to combat use of shells. There is now, if you want to download something like DirectX9.0 for those Windows programs to run on your Linux box, a check to make sure you are using an official Microsoft product instead of one of those rogue shells.

The software will work on your shell if you can get the microsoft components to install on that computer. They'll work if they're on there, you just can't install them without having an authentic copy of Windows.

They will be allowed to use the software while they compile thier COAs.

Check out that link in my last post. It has the detail of what happened when Microsoft decided they wanted to check on the liscenses. They like to use that power on small business, especially competeing business, more so than large businesses. Large businesses are prepared for audits. Small (< 100) companies don't have the resources to have a department exclusivly for audits. As a result, it hits them especially hard, considering Microsoft's typical deadlines.

Bill Gates and Microsoft are the most successful buisness ventures in the last 20 years, and everyone hates that. Standard Oil was the target last century, I guess its Microsoft this time. So Netscape has failed, and Apple cant get a market share of more than 5%. You know why, because Netscape was charging 40 bucks for thier browser in the beginning. Microsoft offered it for free. Free or pay 40 bucks? I think Ill pick free.

Netscape wasn't charging $40 when they started. It was a free download, or you could pay for the disk to be shipped to you. Microsoft even came out and said they were going to stay out of the browser business. However, Netscape really started to take off with their product, as did other companies with things like Opera. Microsoft changed its mind, but didn't have much of a market share. They had been out of the internet market while it flourished, so to catch up, Microsoft created Internet Explorer and added proprietary HTML commands to it. Then they paid companies to develop their business websites to be compatable with IE. Following that, they included a copy of IE with every copy of Windows 98 SE sold. Now, if you wanted a non-Microsoft browser, many websites wouldn't work and you would have to go out of your way to change it. Plus, there were (and still are) calls that automatically call IE instead of your default browser (for those of you using FireFox and have AIM, try clicking on one of the ads in the AIM buddy list).

That is exactly the kind of business practice Teddy Roosevelt went to war with back in the day. That kind of abuse of a market share would label a company a monopoly and get them shut down or broken up. However, Microsoft pumps enough money into Washington today to where that will never happen. Politicians are more interested in their pockets, not the welfare of their nation.

Apple computers are great, but they are so expensive. They are very stylish, but I dont think Im going to fork over 4000 bucks for something when I can get something even better for a quarter of that. If Apple really wanted a larger market share, the cost of thier junk would drop by at least half.

Apple killed its self in the days of the Mac. Steve Jobs had the great idea of only allowing Apple liscensed software to run on their computers, while PCs allowed any kind of software any Joe in any garage could crank out. Apple gave its self the 5% market share then, and it's stuck all these years. The only reason they still have that 5% is because Macs are great for graphics and Apple came out with the first PCs, creating a customer base.

Mozilla and Google are competing against Microsoft, and people are picking those products. Despite your raving conservative values, there is plenty of innovation in the technology market.

Mozilla is starting to take off with all of the publicity it has been recieving, and Google is an internet icon. Microsoft taking on Google would discover Google, too, has the money for legal battles Microsoft likes to wage. However, as I mentioned earlier, Microsoft is activly taking steps to eradicate any competition. For any of you who have a hotmail (Mircosoft's email client)email account, ask a friend from gmail (google's email client) to email you something. It always goes in the junkmail folder. Hotmail flags any gmail account as junk, and has since about mid-beta testing.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I have so much security on my PCs it take half my RAM to keep them going.

That just answered my next question.

I'm out of here...this thread is going way 'off topic'.

Sanc'.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

...... Why cant somoenes generosity just be seen as that, not some big conspiracy or devil worship?

www.gatesfoundation.org...

i'm with you on that one WissNX01, but,
expressing an opinion is not equivelent to prosecuting the man.

sure the monies may be tainted, according to different viewpoints,
but our Pastors & Reverends & clergy
dont scan or test the monies dropped in the collection plates on Sundays

i bet theres plenty of 'dirty' money, tainted w/ drugs, bacteria, blood, etc
which is put to a better more productive use
Because it was donated !
Then Again, i'm sure not going to trip all over the place, patting bill gates on the back or doing a hero-worship routine

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I never said it was hero worship, merely pointing out that he is doing good works with his fortunes.

new topics

top topics

join