It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PETA Gets to Your Kids

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It is not neccesarry to eat meat in our culture. The slaughter PETA tries to prevent only serves to make your lunch taste a little better. As treatment of these animals becomes worse, so does our justification. I think they have a very valid point, however out of the mainstream it is.

And I hate salad.

[edit on 21-5-2005 by jacquio999]

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by cw034
Struting about with dead animal carcasses, scaring children into believing everything is bad and humilating those that don't believe in their ways is nothing more than strong arm tactics.

Why can't you live with dead animals, the consequences of your actions? Are you afraid to SEE? The truth has never hurt anyone. Go back to your cave, eat your plateful of dead creatures, and get out of the way.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I have not read all the responses here, nor will...Usually when PETA is brought up you get two things…some nut that just has to say “people eating tasty animals” as if it’s the first time anyone has ever said or heard it
and people that don’t particularly care for animals….along with a lot of other discussion of course…and I would just get Po’ed so I won’t read…for one, I distrust anyone that doesn’t like animals…I personally feel it is a deep flaw within the personality of a human that doesn’t care for something that can’t care for itself, that loves so unconditionally….Aaaaaaanyway…...I am an animal advocate. I love all creature as those here who know me...know. I work with animals for a living and shave my home with several different types from cats and dogs to tarantulas, rats and ferrets....you can hate PETA or you can love PETA..it doesn't matter to me. They have ending a lot of cruel unnecessary animals testing… they have done more to bring animals rights to the for front, to be thought about and be discussed...than nay other organization. While I do not always agree with their tactics or their views on all things…they are making head way in animal rights, and that’s more than fine with me!

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
What would happen to all the food animals and pets we have if we freed them today? They wouldnt last one generation in the wild so what is the difference if WE eat them or a wolf eats them?

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Oddly enough, though, I don't feel there's anything wrong with meat aquired through hunting. Arguably, a hunter may not get a good shot in on an animal, and the animal may suffer before death. However, the animal did have the advantage of running free in its natural enviornment. Any hunter will tell you, most of their shots are wasted. Only a small percentage of the shots a hunter makes actually result in a kill. Thus, the animals have a good chance of surviving. This is far more fair to animals. Also, a wild animal in its natural enviornment is far from defenseless. A buffalo can easilly gore a man. A rabbit has many places it can hide from the hunters. A deer has great speed which it can use to avoid getting shot. Most animals also have some form of natural camoflauge that allows them to remain unseen. It is for these reasons that I feel meat that was hunted down and killed in the wild is quite appropriate for human consumption.

Hunting is not all that impartial fight as it is supposed to be. A modern hunter has overpowered weapons and clothing that insulates him from the environment. He compensates his physical and genetic shortcomings by using large wheeled vehicles to move around. Compared to the animal, his superiority is unquestionable. A well-equipped hunter runs no risks, except from other hunters. The average hunter is also not very efficient, as he sometimes is seen to shoot at random at flocks of birds until one drops to the ground. He can spend as much ammunition as he wants, because it's cheap. The reality of hunting is that in the average it is not a fair contest, it is just one more form of entertainment.
The kind of idealised hunting you speak of, a predatory relationship, would only be fair if the hunter became the natural predator of the animal in its own environment. But this is currently impossible, so we are left with mostly debased imitative behaviors, which carry only a small fraction of the meaning you are pointing at.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I have not read all the responses here, nor will...Usually when PETA is brought up you get two things…some nut that just has to say “people eating tasty animals” as if it’s the first time anyone has ever said or heard it
and people that don’t particularly care for animals….along with a lot of other discussion of course…and I would just get Po’ed so I won’t read…for one, I distrust anyone that doesn’t like animals…I personally feel it is a deep flaw within the personality of a human that doesn’t care for something that can’t care for itself, that loves so unconditionally….Aaaaaaanyway…...I am an animal advocate. I love all creature as those here who know me...know. I work with animals for a living and shave my home with several different types from cats and dogs to tarantulas, rats and ferrets....you can hate PETA or you can love PETA..it doesn't matter to me. They have ending a lot of cruel unnecessary animals testing… they have done more to bring animals rights to the for front, to be thought about and be discussed...than nay other organization. While I do not always agree with their tactics or their views on all things…they are making head way in animal rights, and that’s more than fine with me!

So what's next--convincing predators to leave their prey alone? "Oh, please, Mr. Lion, you should LOVE that soft, cuddly animal, it's an animal like you!" Not very likely! So if humans and animals are equal, and animals can hunt each other down, why can't humans eat animals? (Note--I do not for one second believe that animals are on the same level as humans, especially since humans are NOT animals.)

Time for a reality check. What's next, plant rights? We kill those too. I've actually eaten a dandelion at sixth-grade camp, since we had a lesson in edible plants. You up for dandelion rights now?

XL5

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Some times one liners get noticed. What if animals were ugly? Does peta kill insects (or don't those have "feelings")?

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
Some times one liners get noticed. What if animals were ugly? Does peta kill insects (or don't those have "feelings")?

Check out this site. I was laughing! It's satire, andaccording to the webmaster there, PETA doesn't like embalming because it deprives maggots of food or something. That would not surprise me at all!

Then there was something a while back about management at this mall having an ant problem, and PETA had their panties in a bunch because they didn't want the ants to be exterminated. I remember reading about this on Fark.com and the Farkers there had an absolute field day with this nonsense!

[edit on 5/21/2005 by Amethyst]

XL5

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Hmmm I need to find some roach eggs. I still bet most peta members kill insects knowingly, the spokespeople just want an all loving image.

I say Bush should hire peta to make clever propaganda and as payment, buy an island (untouched) for them to all live on that has every thing thats needed for survival. Then see how long they last without killing anything. We could call it "survivor pains" or "indecission island", which animals get voted off first.

If that worked, I bet it would prove thier point alot better, however they will learn the lifestyle needed is not popular even among them or the amish.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
This is all you need to know about this "witch" chick. Man has dominion over all animals and "women". PETA is over run with "Feminazi's" and hence are complete liars and metally disturbed, just as anyone that pratices witchcraft.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The remark about the lion is just utterly ridiculous and really doesn’t even merit any further response as any intelligent person can see the absurdity of the remark. This also has nothing to do with how an animal looks....there are many creatures that are not cute and cuddly yet are still magnificent within own right....take an alligator or rhinoceros as an example....I would also ask some people to re read what I wrote or to at least try to comprehend what I wrote, as I did state that I do not always agree with their tactics not do I agree with all of their views. I am against hunting though.....I see no "sport" in killing something for fun....and I have to wonder about anyone that gets a "thrill" out of killing and taking something’s life for "fun".

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xenersys
This is all you need to know about this "witch" chick. Man has dominion over all animals and "women". PETA is over run with "Feminazi's" and hence are complete liars and metally disturbed, just as anyone that pratices witchcraft.

This kind of response was uncalled for and just shows the ignorance of the poster. I am sure all the women on this board will be shocked to find you have "dominion" over them......LOL

BTW....What is METALLY disturbed? maybe not enough Iron in her diet?

I see no "sport" in killing something for fun....and I have to wonder about anyone that gets a "thrill" out of killing and taking something’s life for "fun".

I don't either.

But I do hunt (and fish) for food. I do enjoy the hunt but I eat what I kill. Man is a predator whither we like to admit it or not. My freezer is FULL of meat from hunting and also from pigs and a calf slaughtered here. I am a meat eater and make no apologies about it.

I am against "trophy" hunting and one of the first things I taught my sons were not to kill for fun. I do not agree with harming animals for fun either and have been known to "harm the harmer" a few times.

All hunters are not drooling inbreds that just cant wait to kill something you are believing a stereotype not any different then that of our our "metally disturbed" poster above.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Hi Amuk! ::::waving hands wildly::::

As to the stereotype...yes, it "is" a stereotype but a true one! While yes, there are those that hunt for food....though now a days we do have grocery stores and such...there are near as many who go out hunting to "hang with the guys, drink beer and shoot something". One of my brothers is a game warden and you wouldn't believe how many animals they have to go behind the so called "hunters" and put out of their misery because those doing the hunting don't know what they are doing or have had one too many and wounded the animal and left it to suffer!

Oh and Xenersys
....yep… I am a girl and I am a witch......I am an "intelligent, well educated" "witch girl" one that can recognize another who is neither educated nor intelligent...sad really.

[edit on 5/22/05 by LadyV]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   

As to the stereotype...yes, it "is" a stereotype but a true one! While yes, there are those that hunt for food....though now a days we do have grocery stores and such...there are near as many who go out hunting to "hang with the guys, drink beer and shoot something".

LadyV

I expected better from you than that.

I guess the stereotypical devil worshiping baby eating witch that lives to wreck havoc on god fearing Christians is true too?

Have you never met a "Witch" that you were ashamed of?

Most hunters that I know of are responsible hunters that will track a wounded animal for miles to make sure its dead and it will be in the freezer soon after.

Yes we are hunters and we enjoy the hunt, its hardwired into us but I for one and those I know would not hunt with the people you describe. You say there are stores for food but the animals that are raised for food are no different then those in the wild. A deer is meant to be born, live, pass on its genes and fall prey to a predator. Do you think being torn apart and eaten while you are still alive by a pack of wolves is a gentler death than a bullet to the heart or brain?

Which one would you choose?

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by XL5

In the famous words of Dennis Leary:
"We only want to save the cute animals. We should have animal auditions. Line them up one by one and interview them."
What are you?
I'm an otter.
And what do you do?
I swim around on my back all day and do cute little human like things with my hands.
Ok, you're free to go.
What are you?
I'm a cow.
Get on the freakin' truck!
But I'm an animal.
You're a baseball glove, pal. Get on the freakin' truck.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
No, I don't believe in killing animals for fun. That's a bit pointless IMO.

The lion thing was meant to illustrate a point. If PETA believes that animals are equal to humans, then why aren't they in an uproar over animals hunting and killing each other?

I caught the tail end of a show on SpikeTV (I was waiting for World's Wildest Police Videos to come on) and they showed chimps killing and eating monkeys. It wasn't terribly graphic...but if a human were doing that, PETA would have a collective heart attack!

BTW while man has dominion over animals, he doesn't necessarily have "dominion" over woman, though the wife is supposed to submit to her own husband. BUT--if you read that same Bible chapter, husbands are commanded to LOVE their wives! Husband/wife is not master/slave--it's more like pilot/co-pilot. I have no problem with it, especially since my husband has no problem with consulting me about things!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
The lion thing was meant to illustrate a point. If PETA believes that animals are equal to humans, then why aren't they in an uproar over animals hunting and killing each other?

This question is often posed. The view is that animals live in their own realm, having ecological functions in the environment they were created for. Humans are an external influence that disrupts this realm, destroys the complexity of life, and replaces it with a monoculture of industrial production. Instead of one realm, you have now two (the lucky and the unlucky), both made subservient to man and degradingly intertwined with human life.

I caught the tail end of a show on SpikeTV (I was waiting for World's Wildest Police Videos to come on) and they showed chimps killing and eating monkeys. It wasn't terribly graphic...but if a human were doing that, PETA would have a collective heart attack!

Humans behave like that in Africa. They hunt for other primates and eat the flesh thereof on big occasions. Rumor has it that also in Africa the warlords of Congo prefer rare breast. You see? It is all connected. Africa is hell, as a result of human actions. One of these ill-advised actions is the ancient behavior of flesh-eating.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Struting about with dead animal carcasses, scaring children into believing everything is bad and humilating those that don't believe in their ways is nothing more than strong arm tactics.

There is no link between the image posted and the story. biased journalism ?

Nothing wrong with treating animals humanely, like you said. But animals are not on the same level as humans. Humans are superior to animals, period--God gave us dominion over animals.

LMFAO !! Says who?
Religious fruitcakes are not better than overboard peta nuts!

Animal testing has saved millions of people, nothing wrong with it.

I disagree

But they are against torture of animals, or makeup places going "Gee, lets jab lipstick up it's bum and see what happenes.".

I agree, makeup and cosmetics have nothing to do with saving people.

Imagine for a moment, this world had no other animals, just two species of humanity, us and species x. Both ate plants until one day, one species (us)discovered it could eat the other (x).
Gradually this became a normal practice, over many generations we became omnivors. Likewise our children did too.
As we 'progressed' and populations grew, we discovered farming. So we began to heard 'x' together in pens, in preparation for slaughter.
Civilisation and technology also 'progressed', more of us meant we needed more of x, so we learned techniques to increase the yeild from x. Space was also at a premium, so we kept x in intensive farming conditions, crowded together in small pens, standing intheir own feces, and we pumped x full of steroids for faster growth to increase meat yeild, and with antibiotics to decrease losses from unsanitary conditions.
WE had our own health problems aswell, so we needed to 'research' the effects of new drugs.
We built labs and devised torturous mechanical devices and more torturous test to determin the effects of these new drugs on ourselves.
These test were almost always lethal, if not immediatly then by the time they were done.
We were a vain species aswell, we wished to look younger, thinner, etc, so we created all kinds of drugs and cosmetics. WE needed to test these cosmetics on X because we had to be sure they were safe, for us.
So we applied various chemicals to the eyes and skin of x, they were cheap to obtain. Anesthesia was not cheap, so it wasnt used.
Some of us were not happy with these practices, it didnt seem fair, what made us special? what made x not so?
these of us formed organisations to try to turn the great tide away from this mindset, afterall, did x not share our world?.
They called themselves PETX people for the ethical treatment of X.
WE ,as a species had been eating and 'using' X for so long now, that this new idea was considered lunacy. PETX were considered mad extremist.
How could they possibly consider X as anything more than Tools and food? The idea was preposterous!
So immense was the task of turning an X using/eating world away from what it had been doing for thousands of years, that PETX, in face of constant scorn and Mockery and outright deliberate arrogance, grew desperate.
They so deeply beleived in the rights of X people, that they began to use more extreme methods to get their point acrross. A gentle, "hey wait a minute..." approach, yeilded only derision, no hope of even a moments genuine consideration.
Violence was nothing new in the world, sometimes it took violence to make a point, so they did...................................

[edit on 113131p://470511 by instar]

[edit on 113131p://520511 by instar]

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
"quote: Animal testing has saved millions of people, nothing wrong with it.

I disagree"

Wait, you disagree it has saved millions, ot that there is nothing wrong with it? Because it has saved millions, and there is nothing wrong with it. hell, you have been saved by it one way or another.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I personally would not harm an animal in any way shape or form. I give these guys props for wanting to protect animals and inform kids about how bad it can be to treat animal. These people tend to take things way to far way too much. At first I was appalled at the images I saw now, it just like "OMFG, why can't these people just go away and leave me and my steak alone..." seriously these guys get annoying

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join