It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xbox 360 versus Playstation 3

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Yea thats a good point cyber. But I do think that nintendo games are mostly crap. No offense to the nintendo people but IMO nintendo hasnt made the best games out there. They do have some really good games like metroid and ssbm.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Remember the days when you could give a # about the graphics and you played the game b/c of the GAME itself...

*sighs*

The way I do it is, I buy all the systems and the games I'm interested in, and then I just trade them in when I get tired of the BS....True, I loose money by trading them in, but in the end, I'm still just throwing my money in the trash anyways.....

A gamer picking sides isn't a true gamer...Refusing to play one console b/c in general you think it's a lame duck is not appreciating the very core of what gaming is all about....Gaming is about the experience

It's like saying that you are a die hard rock fan, but among all rock bands that ever existed and ever will exist, you're going to choose to listen to one band for the rest of your life....

Who cares which is better among any of the systems?! They’ll all have excellent games and at one point or another, they’ll all be worth buying…

[edit on 6/8/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Exactly enron.... even though I prefer some consoles over others overall.... I still play them. I own all threee major ones now. I plan to get all 3 major ones then to.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Yea Im going to buy all of them and let the titles decide which I like best. There were a lot of cool new games that I liked not just because of the graphix. Crash Bandicoot, halo, ssbm....good times.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by truttseeker
Yea Im going to buy all of them and let the titles decide which I like best. There were a lot of cool new games that I liked not just because of the graphix. Crash Bandicoot, halo, ssbm....good times.

boy i wish i was in yer shoes to freely and abled to buy all i want.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Exactly, as much as I'd like to have all the consoles, I can't. You see in my financil position I have to choose, one and only one system. The good news is every system has plenty of good games, it's just a matter of finding them.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Exactly, as much as I'd like to have all the consoles, I can't.

Just a quick question....Do you have an EB near you? Often times they offer competitive trade in values that come close to used-product prices....Granted, you loose some money, but as I've mentioned before, that's the premise behind owning ANY game/gaming system....

I waited near 6 months before I bought my first Xbox....I've since bought 3....Separately of course, but each one was based upon my desire...sitting around and waiting for the next good game to come out...Selling my old Xbox for games on other systems as I waited...

Just something to consider....

[edit on 6/9/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
Sony just owns the entertainment business. The triniton screen is by sony, as is the world's first portable walkman.

All Microsoft does is steal ideas. Steve Jobs was the first to come up with GUI, Bill Gates stole the idea and called it windows.

The Xbox360 is not as high tech as one would have imagined. It's just not visually appealing to me. All I see is a box with curves, kind of stupid, not the kind of futuristic gaming system I was expecting. Whats with the controller, a replica of N64. I would have went with the sidewinder.

sidewinder 1st choice for xbox [controller]
It would have been that with force feedback and wireless support.

Get your facts straight my good man. Steve Jobs bought the first truly marketable GUI-based OS from Xerox (just as Gates bought DOS from a little company in Washington state - Gates and Jobs are one and the same, it's all how you market yourself). And Steve Jobs was never the true brains behind apple's hardware/software - his buddy Steve Wozniak was. Woz was the technical guru - Jobs was the marketing genius.

As far as XBOX 360 and Playstation 3 go - show me the games. What does it matter? You can have the most powerful system in the world, but it doesn't mean jack if you don't have the games to go with it. As far as Sony is concerned - I don't buy their bull. If anyone here remembers, the Playstation 2 was supposed to have games with graphics as good as CGI - it's all how your market yourself. The only difference between what Microsoft showed and what Sony showed is that Microsoft actually had playable hardware at E3 (althought it was on a pre-development platform - a dual G5).

The majority of what Sony showed was what they always show - CGI, nothing more. Microsoft actually showed real games, and you could tell, some of the games would slow down from time to time (that's from not actually having final development hardware to play on). And you want to know how you can tell that most of what Sony showed was bunk? It was all running too smoothly (and certainly, as I said, wreaked of typical Sony-hype CGI)! Sony doesn't even have any of the hardware in production (neither does Microsoft; however, because they are using a customized version of IBM's PowerPC processors, they can use G5's as pre-development hardware - albeit much slower than what the final development hardware will be), let alone a computer that could even emulate (the design of the Cell is so vastly different from your typical processor that there is nothing equivalent) the type of power that Sony and IBM claim it has.

However, they do have alpha development hardware going around (in very short supply), and Epic Games said that they running Unreal Tournament 2007 in real-time on the dev hardware (one of only about 2-3 games actually running in real-time on PS3 dev hardware at E3). Epic Games ported over a game that was already working on Windows hardware - so they were actually displaying a game that has been in development for quite a while now. And I read somewhere that the alpha dev hardware for the PS3 only became available a few weeks or a month before E3. So the odds of the Killzone 2 video being real are next to nil - they were showing a fully working game that would have taken years and years to develop. They only recently released (11/02/2004) the first Killzone on the PS2 (they had no other games before that). So how the hell could it look that good in less than a year when they just barely finished the first Killzone? There is no possibility that they could have been working on them both concurrently - they're Sony only developers. Epic Games develops on multiple platforms - they aren't reliant on a company to have dev kits to develop their games. The Killzone developers are solidly reliant on Sony. Sony wants to hype up their machine to maximum proportions because Microsoft is a fierce competitor to them. So what's the easiest way to hype up a machine and make people believe that what they are seeing are actual games (in the quickest amount of time)? Just like I said before, CGI. And Sony has always relied upon CGI to market their machines.

So people can believe the Sony hype if they want, but go do your research before you jump to the conclusion that Sony's console will be more powerful than Microsoft's - the proof is in the pudding. Go look back on how Sony marketed the Playstation 2 (when it first appeared) at E3 so many years ago, and then try and tell me that the Playstation 2 is doing what they claimed it would be capable of. One thing is clear: Sony's systems have never been easy to develop for. They know hardware - they don't know software. Microsoft knows software like the back of it's hand (which made the XBox extremely easy to develop for - not just because it's hardware was basically that of a small form factor pc), and in the end, that's what's important. The hardware is supposed to be transparent to the developer/consumer. All anyone cares about is whether their software will work or not.

If Sony delivers, I'll eat my own words. But their past history of promising things and not delivering (almost always) is what's important. So be prepared when the latest Killzone or Tekken comes out on the PS3 and don't look, or play, anything like what was shown in Sony's little hype videos.

Forget the hype that is the PS3 - show me the actual games!

[edit on 6-9-2005 by EmbryonicEssence]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
If Xbox 360 has the power to create this in-game character:

...then I honestly don't think Ps3 even has a chance.

It looks great doesn't it? Epic Games actually had Gears of War (the game that this creature comes from) up and running in real-time at E3 on XBox 360 pre-development hardware (dual G5s). If you haven't seen the trailer for the game yet, check it out (you'll need Quicktime): Link

Check out Epic's Unreal Technology webpage for even more great pictures! Link

[edit on 6-9-2005 by EmbryonicEssence]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
The Logic is flawed, "if xbox 360 has that, PS3 doesn't stand a chance."

I mean, the PS3 is going to have more power then the xbox 360, so either the same or better will be made.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

boy i wish i was in yer shoes to freely and abled to buy all i want.

Yea thats the good thing about being 16. I have a good job and I dont hav eto pay any bills...except my insurance. If i was out on my own i couldnt even afford a ps2

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Blah blah blah. Most of this anti-Nintendo crap is awful. I won't even look at it from the "capitalist" perspective. Let's just look at the good game percentage. Of all the things released, I would put the GC with a solid 50% good game percentage. Ps2 would have around a 25%. And Xbox would be somewhere in the 30's.

Sorry folks, GC has mostly solid games, especially if you look at 1st party games. It may have a smaller game selection, but most of their games are solid. PS2 probably has the least. That is because their third party is allowed to put out any crap they want. And the Box falls somewhere in the middle of that.

People, Nintendo is not the enemy. Not only do they put out a solid system, but they also release dern good games. Get over it.

Graphics won't matter at all in this generation. DEAL WITH IT. We are at the point in which graphics don't matter. This next generation will be decided purely on games and gameplay...

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanK
People, Nintendo is not the enemy. Not only do they put out a solid system, but they also release dern good games. Get over it.

Graphics won't matter at all in this generation. DEAL WITH IT. We are at the point in which graphics don't matter. This next generation will be decided purely on games and gameplay...

Amen. I think you just summed up what I've been thinking the whole time.

Anyhow the topic is PS3 vs. X-Box 360, which makes sense seing as there isn't enough info on Revolution to make any assumptions. So let's get back onto it.

Figure for those of us who can only afford one system, what does PS3 actually have against 360? I mean cell technology is nice, but to be honest sheer power is pretty useless if you can't use it. And let's face it, no console has ever been used to it's fullest, I don't really see power and graphics coming into play this time around.

I personally think 360 will win this time for a number of reasons. The controller, although practically the same as last time, still looks more comfortable. Also I think the 360 looks nicer, sure it won't make it a better system but it will help sell systems. That and well, Microsoft actually has a few franchises that it's capable of holding onto, unlike Sony who's been losing GTA little by little.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I personally like the new controllers. I dunno maybe its just me but theres more to hang onto. Plus I think the PS3 is gunna win just because of a lot of third party support. If sony takes out the standard hd then they are going to have a lot of problems. In that case 360 will pwn ps3.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
First off, next gen games are going to look great. What worries me though is that many mainstream gamers have fallen for Sony's bs at their e3 conference and actually think they will be playing those CG games there
they were only representations, it is too early to say what the games will look like and we have only seen tech demos that look impressive, but nonetheless are just tech demo's.

I remember when the PS2 came out, Sony showed us all the pretty CG videos and told us the emotion engine was a graphics supercomputer and that we would be playing CG quality graphics with the ps2, so why bother buying the dreamcast? what we got on launch day was a bunch of lame games that looked like ps1 and played awful. The Dreamcast games looked much better at the start.

Now Sony has done the same thing again to try and rally support around the PS3 because it is worried about Microsofts head start and how far behind it is.

I do not think Sony will make the spring 2006 launch window. There are only a limited amount of dev kits out there and less than a year to make launch titles. Fall 2006 is going to be more likely but they cant be seen to be that far away form microsoft.

Anyways if they deliver i'll have my ps3 on day one just as i will have my trusty 360. GTA 4 will be good no doubt.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
sony's a lying shack of crap xbox 360 is way beeter iv look at all the stuff they have for both xbox has better every thing

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Yea well guess what...xbox 360 isnt reverse compatible, so all of those great games for xbox wont be able to be played. Sony rules.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Yea well guess what...xbox 360 isnt reverse compatible, so all of those great games for xbox wont be able to be played. Sony rules.

actually it is, it will be using software emulation and be released with emulation profiles for each 'top selling' (i.e. the ones everyone owns) game. As time progresses, microsoft will be releasing updates until every xbox game can be played on the xbox 360.

Sony never could say the same with playstation 2.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk

actually it is, it will be using software emulation and be released with emulation profiles for each 'top selling' (i.e. the ones everyone owns) game. As time progresses, microsoft will be releasing updates until every xbox game can be played on the xbox 360.

Sony never could say the same with playstation 2.

thanks,
drfunk

yea your right...sony could never say that...they just skipped the bs and made all games reverse compatible

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
TS, you are so right! Xbox 360 is gonna waste time/make bs for people, while SOny just goes Hey, Make Em Work The First Time Out.

Unlike Nintendo, which just laughs as people spend money on the game systems and games then come out with a new one that makes everything before it a paperweight.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join