It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Anti-Muslim Crimes on the Rise in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
A report released by The Council on American-Islamic Relations has shown that there has been a significant rise in the number of Anti-Muslim crimes, one-fourth of these incidents stem from police or law-enforcement abuse.

www.antiwar.com
Reported incidents of anti-Muslim bias including hate crimes, discrimination, and harassment rose sharply in the United States last year, according to a new report by a major Islamic group.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), in a report released Wednesday, said it received 141 reports of actual or planned violence against Muslims or mosques nationwide, a 52 percent increase over the 93 reports the group received in 2003 and the 42 it received in 2002.

In addition, the number of incidents reportedly involving some form of police or law-enforcement abuse, such as unreasonable arrests, detentions, and searches, rose sharply in 2004, constituting more than one-fourth of all cases of abuse or discrimination, according to the report, "Unequal Protection: The Status of Muslim Civil Rights in the United States 2005."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is what happens when the government invents new methods of terrorizing the public with clever color codes and in turn demonizes a small minority of the American population. What I find interesting (but not surprising) is how authorities actually contribute to a large portion of these Anti-Muslim crimes.

America has turned into a Islamaphobic society but it's only natural when you discover that America is arguably the strongest Christian country in the world. We have long said goodbye to democracy and now we have embarrassed a totalitarian form of theocracy which is directly opposed to any country that is 'pro-Islam/Muslim'. Why else would we fight a war with Iraq, fund the Syrian opposition for a regime change in order to weaken the nation, and be on the verge of fighting another war with Iran?

Related News Links:
www.cair-net.org

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
WAKE UP!

Yeah, that's right. Wake up.

Moslems are blamed for killing thousands on 9-11, 'honor killings' and other acts that are anathema to any civilized society yet want to be treated civilized? Won't happen.

One semi-important Moslem made a mild rebuke to the Al Queda group and that is all. Until Moslems realize and then ACT to publicly denounce their brethren the tar brush will swing.

It doesn't matter whether it is right or wrong, it is human nature.

American Moslems need to be public in their denouncement of Al Queda and all similar groups. Until that happens it (the bad treatment) will worsen. That is a fact of life.

Christianity has nothing to do with- you still are missing the point. Don't blame someone else for troubles brought upon yourself. While Christianity does not preach unfettered acceptance (contrary to what many claim) this is not the source nor cause for any anti-Moslem actions.

Same thing happened with Japanese Americans and German Americans (although this has been swept under the rug).

Again- wake up

I voted for this and hope it makes it. This is an important topic.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
"Is that an AK-47 under your burnoose... or are you just glad to see me?"

CAIR is hardly an impartial source for accurate reporting of such crimes.

If in fact the authorities are giving special scrutiny to Muslims, ill received by that community, I applaud the authorities and encourage further efforts.

The Muslim/Christian aspect of the current conflict is that which the Muslims wish to be at the forefront. It enables the idiotic 'crusader' references that permeate the muslim media.

It is Islam and the Muslim world that nurtures the suicide-bombers who kill innocents by the dozens
It is Islam and the Muslim world that harbors the sick criminals who behead journalists, contractors and other civilians.
It is from Islam and the Muslim world that came the "magnificent 19" who hijacked 4 US airliners, and inflicted the horrific 3,000 dead americans on 9/11.
Islamophobia? Yeah i got it. I'm phobic about what these soul-less bastards are going to justify next in the name of their quest to honor Allah.

The source of Islams problems are within. if they cannot eradicate it themselves... others will.

If in order to prevent another 3,000 americans from being slain, it requires the expunging of a considerable portion of 1.2 Billion muslims, so be it.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
So Muslims are supposed to apologise world wide for what one group did? Purely because they share the same religion? Chortle.

Are people really that pea brained that they cannot distinguish for themselves?

[edit on 12-5-2005 by Kriz_4]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I do not find this surprising at all. In fact, the thing that surprises me, is that it has taken this long for people to start taking matters into their own hands.

If the US is one of the stongest Christian nations in the world, we should also be the most tolerant. Something about if someone slaps your left cheek, you are supposed to turn your head to they can slap the other one.

I don't see a happy ending in site. As this continues, and the fanatical religious folk continue to kill in the name of their god, others are going to start retaliating against the non-fanatical.

It will escalate until there is a global religious war, with more than just the fanatical people fighting.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Yep- you got it.

Think about it.

IF a group calling itself Zebra 2 and claiming Catholic something or other killed a bunch or people and claimed a holy war the Vatican and American College of Cardinals would disavow them publically, as would whatever the French and Spanish spokesmen are called.

Muslims keep mum and more violence will happen. whether you think it 'fair' or not it is life.

Want to argue the esoterics- fine. Go ahead, it won't change reality. We aren't talking PC gere.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   

IF a group calling itself Zebra 2 and claiming Catholic something or other killed a bunch or people and claimed a holy war the Vatican and American College of Cardinals would disavow them publically, as would whatever the French and Spanish spokesmen are called.

Thanks for making this statement, Doaks. You've just pointed out one of the biggest differences between Christianity and Islam.

Christianity's sects have appointed leaders and a clearl heriarchy.

Islam does not.

It's kind of hard to denounce a group or action when authority ends at your local imam. There are no defined leaders for the Muslim sects, and no one wants to listen to the local imam...so are you surprised there's no massive denouncements? There's no leader to make it, and the western media isn't listening.

DE

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Thanks for making this statement, Doaks. You've just pointed out one of the biggest differences between Christianity and Islam.

Christianity's sects have appointed leaders and a clearl heriarchy.

Islam does not.

Actually Islam is seperated by different family lineages and thus creates a hiearchy in itself.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I voted NO due to obvious bias.

We have long said goodbye to democracy and now we have embarrassed a totalitarian form of theocracy which is directly opposed to any country that is 'pro-Islam/Muslim'. Why else would we fight a war with Iraq, fund the Syrian opposition for a regime change in order to weaken the nation, and be on the verge of fighting another war with Iran?

Oh yeah...

...embarrassed a totalitarian form of theocracy...

While I would certainly love to do this to the Dogs of War at the White House and Christian Right, in context I believe you meant to write embraced.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   

DeusEx said Christianity's sects have appointed leaders and a clearl heriarchy.

Islam does not.

So what?

BFD- just a lame excuse. IF Islamic leaders (and don't tell me there aren't any) acted responsibly then the problems in this thread would not exist.

Islamic silence will not quel anything- get it? ANYTHING!

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I'd like to invite you to read through the ATS thread linked below..

Over 1 Billion Muslims and Growing

Can we blame them all?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:57 AM
link   

quoted by Chuck Stevenson
I voted NO due to obvious bias.

Dude, thats his opinion. If you actually read the "submit news" section, then you will see that he is entitled to his opinion in that section. Only the opening paragraph and News items need to be as less bias as possible (note "less bias here, as everyone is biased)

Read it for yourself before opening your mouth (although I doubt you would have read it as you have submitted 0 contributions:

News Submission form

You must give us an additional one to three paragraph comment, in your own words, that will help our members understand your analysis or point of view on the news article you're submitting. Please do not copy-and-paste material from the news source into this area of your submission.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Joe Doaks
Many, many muslims went on the air following 9/11 and spoke about their pain, their fear, their desires for fair treatment, and their love of the American way of life. Hell, they even had Sihks beamed live into barrooms and living rooms across the nation, frightened and angry that they were now being persecuted because most flamingly ignorant racists can't tell the difference.

I guess you weren't watching televsion for those several weeks. Or if you were watching television, were you thinking, "know thine enemy?"

From an outsider perspective, I hope the fundis on both sides of the fence eliminate each other somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. It would free up so much real estate, and we might have a good century or ten of relative peace and prosperity.

To sum it up: Your religion isn't better, they're not blameless, and I assure you, we'll all get what we deserve.

I ask myself constantly: Are you the monkey or the stick? The piper or the rat?

Do enough people ask themselves that question? Why do people think the things they do?

If only they knew...

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   
actualy you are wrong when you say that christian sects have a highrarchy. sure some do and you could even say that most do as the catholic church has so many members. but in fact many christian churchs have no "chain of command" at all. many congregations only use the bible as a guid. they may have some aliances but NO hiarchy like bishops and stuff. the churchs that i have attended all choose their own minister and have no one that dictates the rules to them. these tend to be refered to as non-denominational churches. as such that arguement is WRONG, sorry.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
i have relatives that barely escaped the massacre in Bosnia, went to Chicago, all got jobs, bought a house,.... little did they know they will have to deal with violent idiots even in the "land of the free".

How ironic life is....

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Whats even worse is that these attacks aren't limited to Islamic people.

Everything that has the right color, wears a robe, wears a turban (and you goto know, Islamic people in the US generaly don't wear a turban.. but people from Indian and Asian religions) are all getting harassed like this because they think these people are muslim.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I was under the Impression Turbans where from the Sikh religion, which incidently came into being to fight Islamic expansion into India, so surely all those attacking them are just ignorant racists who are just looking for anyone who is not white to attack?

And to nukunuku, that is realy sad. escaping murder and persecution from one country, only to get it in the new one (the one that is supposed to be land of the free etc etc) just because of the God you worship! Same God people, just everyone gives him a different name and spin! Wake up!

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Turbans are worn in the middle east as a part of the clothing tradition to help them against the heat over there. Not as part of the religion.
I did a trek trough the sahara desert a few years back and I firsthandedly experienced why the people in the middle east wear a turban. It helps alot against the heat.

Some of the first people after 9/11 to be attacked for being muslims were in fact Sikh.

People see Muslims on tele and see them wear turbans.
They think its part of the religion, yet the actual religion that does wear turbans as part of the religion has nothing to do with muslims.

People are stuppid and people who are enraged or blindly racist are equal to stuppid people with a lobotomy.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I know they were headscarves, I thought the word "Turban" is referring to the Sikh dress. May be wrong, but there is a distinction none the less.

They think its part of the religion, yet the actual religion that does wear turbans as part of the religion has nothing to do with muslims.

Sikhs do in a way have something to do with Muslims. In order to survive (against a expansionist muslim Moghal King) they militarised and have been used for centuries since to fight as warriors (mostly against Muslims)

Read this BBC site on Religion (Sikhism) if your interested:

Sikhism

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks
So what?

BFD- just a lame excuse. IF Islamic leaders (and don't tell me there aren't any) acted responsibly then the problems in this thread would not exist.

Islamic silence will not quel anything- get it? ANYTHING!

Well, if your religious leader only interprets the Koran for a small area, then it doesn't matter what he says, right? The media's not going to pick up on the imam for Chicago's Lower East Side protesting, and the Muslims in the middle east sure as hell aren't going to care. Yes, there is a prestige system, but there is no clear, leveled CoC like in Catholicism. There are no carnidals, no bishops, no single head of the religion.

Drogo, learn to read. Or write. Or both, if you can. The previous poster used catholic examples, which both has a heirarchy, and is the largest sect of Christianity.

It's not silence, you're just not listening.

DE

top topics

join