It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: N.A.S.A to be Sued by Russian Astrologer Over Planned Comet Explosion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
A Russian Astrologer who believes that the destruction of a comet by N.A.S.A in July this year will disrupt the the natural balance of the universe, has been given the go ahead by a Russian court to sue the U.S space agency. Earlier a lower court threw out the case over jurisdiction but a new ruling has been set after Marina Bai's lawyer argued that it does fall in Russian jurisdiction with the space agency having an office in the Moscow US Embassy. Mrs Bai is seeking to restrict the space agency's plans to carry out the "Project Deep Impact" which will release an impacter after travelling to the comet Tempel 1 which will create a crater on the comet that could be as big as a football field.

www.abc.net.au
A Russian court has ruled that an astrologer can proceed with a lawsuit against the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) for its plans to bombard a comet.

In a $US279 million project, NASA in January launched the Deep Impact spacecraft.

It will travel to the comet and release an impactor - a 370-kilogram self-guided mass - on July 4, which is expected to create a crater that could be as large as a football stadium.

Effects of the collision will be visible from earth with an amateur telescope.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Mrs bai's lawyer has said the comet holds special significance to her after her grandfather pointed out the comet to his future wife.

N.A.S.A launched the Deep Impact spacecraft in January this year with the project costing 279 Million dollars US. The space agency has said that the project will give clues on the formation of the universe and information on altering courses of comets and asteroids who are on a collision course with the planet.

Even though this woman may sound a tad "Nutty" she is right in what she says. Once again someone is destroying a part of nature and our balanced universe all in the name of experimentation.

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Mayet]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Haha the russians seems to do anything to gain money from the us government, i think what the nasa did will help us a lot on understanding on the comet + now we might have a way to destory a comet if it ever going to hit the Earth.

quote>>>A Russian Astrologer who believes that the destruction of a comet by N.A.S.A in July this year will disrupt the the natural balance of the universe

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
First off we are NOT destroying any commit, we a blasting a hole into it. Oh yeah I forgot everything Humanity does is BAD and we should go extinct as our very presance disrupts the Universal Balance. Phaw, what arrogance these New-Agers are portraying these days.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Mrs bai's lawyer has said the comet holds special significance to her after her grandfather pointed out the comet to his future wife.

Yeah right and I have a special significance with the moon and Mars because my dad pointed them out to me when I was real young. Does that mean I can sue NASA for landing on them?

The mission has a purpose and if proven to be right it may some day save the earth from one of those hitting the earth.

This lawsuit is beyond reduckuless rots of ruck settling it.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I agree that parts going overboard but a man made explosion in space can has serious ramifications. Say for instance that comet splits in half by the explosion and then part of it hits another asteroid which changes its course and it comes flying in to hit the moon or the earth. Not likely you may say but i say remember "The Butterfly Effect"

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
deepimpact.umd.edu...

According to this link, deep impact probe is 0.376 AU away from earth. More then a safe distance away IMO.

FYI The blue circle is Temple 1's orbit and the red one is Deep Impacts orbit aroudn the sun.

[edit on 6-5-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I do agree, it seems a safe distance but I also still think butterfly effect but either way we won't know if it was a good thing or a very bad bad thing until later this year. I do feel it is not necessary and it is possibly the greatest danger to our balanced solar system.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
oh please, a solar flare is much more dangerous than blowing up a piece of rock.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
it is possibly the greatest danger to our balanced solar system.

It's a danger NOT to do this, as we need DATA. If we detect one of these coming at us I would like to have as much information as possible. I personally do not see any "balance" to our solar system. It's constantly changing on much larger timescales then we can comprehend yes, but I guess you're also the type to say "Fix Earth before mars" right?

Another Plus is to this mission is we will finally find out whats inside one of these things and that could be huge in the long term for future Space Mining Companies.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Balance? Where how when?

I think you meant CHAOS!

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Thanks Lysergic, yes i do. The Chaos of natural order, which is natures balance.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Who said anything about explosion?? They are simply planing on tossing a chunk of mass at the comet so it will impact and break off a tiny amount of material so they can study the comets make up. There is no explosive device. It will not destroy the comet. Can I sue Russia because their satellites block my view of the stars from time to time??? Rubbish. sheer greedy rubbish. She should be sent to the Gulag.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The 300 million makes her case ridiculous and that part should not even be in the equation. It takes credibility of the claim away. But does NASA have the right to do this? Does NASA own space? Has it the right to alter comets and asteroids? Does it have the right to make that decision? What are the future dangers resulting from this impact?

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
waite a minute he is launching a lawsuit BEFORE the event happens? wtf? i mean that is just a wee bit early to sue don't ya think
cool we can sue mc donald's BEFORE we get fat
. gee and i thought i had seen some ludicris lawsuits before
i think it should be tossed on the grounds that first you need a cause, THEN an effect, after that mabe a lawsuit would have validity. this IS a little bit too soon don't you think?

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Yes the lawsuit is way overboard and a great belly laugh really but it should open peoples eyes to precedents set by nasa in space and the consequences of action

action - reaction

Of course suing is only an option after the fact but it also true that NASA should not be able to just go experiment in space. At one time people argued that nuclear testing was the proper thing for our future and that bombing atolls in the pacific was perfectly natural and would not harm our environment or quality of life. I don't see this as being any different. What are the ramifications...no one really knows

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
You know as much as this sounds wacko there may be a legal basis for this lawsuit but I doubt the women will get any money. Why? because she don't own the comet and no one does or can. However allow me to explain my thoughts on this matter.

The Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies was signed into international law in 1966 by the UN. The main provisions of the treaty are below

• the exploration and use of outer space shall be carried out for the benefit and in the interests of all countries and shall be the province of all mankind;
  • outer space shall be free for exploration and use by all States;
  • outer space is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means;
  • States shall not place nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction in orbit or on celestial bodies or station them in outer space in any other manner;
  • the Moon and other celestial bodies shall be used exclusively for peaceful purposes;
  • astronauts shall be regarded as the envoys of mankind;
  • States shall be responsible for national space activities whether carried out by governmental or non-governmental activities;
  • States shall be liable for damage caused by their space objects; and
  • States shall avoid harmful contamination of space and celestial bodies

www.oosa.unvienna.org...

Three of these clauses seem pertinent to this case

• the exploration and use of outer space shall be carried out for the benefit and in the interests of all countries and shall be the province of all mankind;
  • States shall be liable for damage caused by their space objects; and
  • States shall avoid harmful contamination of space and celestial bodies

Now the United States in conducting this experiment for the good of all mankind by attempting to understand how to deflect such comets in the future but are they not also causing damage and contaminating a celestial body? Seems like a contradiction to me. But as for the lady she has no dog in the fight.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal

I think that alone says it all. That is the intention of the project, by trying to figure out if an astroid can be diverted from hitting earth.

That alone is well within the treaty.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Alienation is hoping you're some other form of intelligent life...I wanna find another planet
Years ago I wrote a science fiction story about a manned attempt to leave the solar system...they get out past Pluto and are stopped by Micheal with his flaming sword...it seems the Bible had it kinda right, backwards but still...humanity had indeed been exiled from the garden...the rest of the universe was the garden and we as a speices was banned for it and confined to our own little solar system never to leave...of course we try to force our way out and fail only confirming our insufferabe arrogance for all the Universe to see. God I hope broadcasts of Bush don't reach the wrong ears, they'll never let us off this planet.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Damnit, does this mean I'm going to get sued for blowing up the sun?
I was so close to completing my reverse magnifying glass that would cast all the suns heat back at it and burning it out like an ant under a normal microscope.

Drats, foiled again.

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Legalizer]

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Legalizer]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Maybe they should rename the mission : Deep Pockets.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join