It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BNP sees marginal rise in votes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

The British National Party has slightly increased its share of the vote, but failed to take any seats.

The party took nearly 200,000 votes across the UK, but its overall share of the vote was up just 0.55% on 2001.

Leader Nick Griffin said he was delighted with his party's progress. He polled 4,240 votes in Keighley, West Yorkshire - 9.16% of the total cast.

But the BNP's best result was in Barking in east London, where Richard Barnbrook won 16.89% of the vote.

Mr Barnbrook polled 4,916 votes, coming a close third behind the Tories. The seat was won by Children's Minister Margaret Hodge for Labour.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

BNP sees marginal rise in votes

Even though they done well, im glad they never got one seat in the house. Thank God, that our country were wise and didnt let the far right slip in.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I'd be interested to see how many seats the BNP would get under a PR system, from the number they polled I guess they would get a couple of seats but nothing major that would threaten Britain.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
I'd be interested to see how many seats the BNP would get under a PR system, from the number they polled I guess they would get a couple of seats but nothing major that would threaten Britain.

i was speaking to my college tutor today about a PR system and the far right, she doubted that they would gain any major support under a PR.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
i was speaking to my college tutor today about a PR system and the far right, she doubted that they would gain any major support under a PR.

But with the seats linked to vote percentage, the small number of votes they get could get could get them a MP or two, not much of a threat but enough to make me very angry.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 05:18 AM
link   
In Germany they keep BNP type parties out of their PR system by have a clause in the system that means there must be a 5% share of the vote before a party is admitted to the reichstag.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
In Germany they keep BNP type parties out of their PR system by have a clause in the system that means there must be a 5% share of the vote before a party is admitted to the reichstag.

The NPD has got a lot of support in Germany and has got seats before in the past and present.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I bet this rise is because of the kids of these nut jobs coming into voting age.

top topics

join