It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new improved body armor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
i watch the Fox News this morning where some professors built a new body armor weighted abou 10 pounds that protects almost the whole body. it looks good, but still bulky and still heavy but this maybe the first generation of the new all protection body armor, lets see what the future holds for the next generation body armor, i think the armor material is called dyneema or somthing have to chek on dat. its 15 times stronger than steel. i dink i saw some pictures of the prototypes being used by the Marines so have to see how far ahead they are on it.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I wonder when battle rifles will return too defeat this amour more easily.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
I wonder when battle rifles will return too defeat this amour more easily.

It all started of with a sword, well sorta, then we made armor, which defended against the sword, then we made guns which defeated the armour, then we made kevlar which defended against the guns, Then We make death rays which defeated he kevlar Muahahahahaha

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
www.hsapretac.com...

here is some pics of the new body armor, it looks ugly but at least its functionally, thank the professors for making it. pretty fast to develop dis technology after the interceptor body that just came out.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Here's a U.S interceptor vest that found it's way into China

Also is it true that western body armour is made there anyhow?

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
That Chinese guy is stiff, the poor bastard is too big for the armor and looks like he is choking

And U.S. military body armor is not made in china its produced inside the US, there is a plant not too far from my city that produces them.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
why does the wearer even wearing a U.S. of A patch on his right shoulder?

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
why does the wearer even wearing a U.S. of A patch on his right shoulder?

Hey, they stole our logo!!! We should sure them for this!!!

or...!!! it is because it is made in the US of A?

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
intresting pictures of the new body armour.
Thanks.

My first reaction to it is that it looks hot ..to wear..as well as bulky. However ..when ones life is on the line ..one hardly concerns ones self with looks. Heat exhaustion my be a problem in places like Iraq or the Asian Jungles. Curious about this aspect..does anyone know.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
intresting pictures of the new body armour.
Thanks.

My first reaction to it is that it looks hot ..to wear..as well as bulky. However ..when ones life is on the line ..one hardly concerns ones self with looks. Heat exhaustion my be a problem in places like Iraq or the Asian Jungles. Curious about this aspect..does anyone know.

Thanks,
Orangetom

that is one of my concerns about this new body armor, i saw the video and it shows the professors in the interviews that they already dealt with that possibility of heat exhaustion in Iraq and Afghanistan. as well as other possible climates and environments that the future soldiers may have to be deploy. this is the first generation body armor so maybe the future generation will have cooling systems inside to keep them cool for combat operatioins before returning back to base.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
heres the video as well as other pics of the new body armor.

www.foxnews.com...

u can clik on the video to see it.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This thing looks kind of bulky and limiting as far as motion goes, well hopefully they'll get this a bit more streamline as time goes by, get something more akin to samurai armor which was incredibly flexible and gave a wide range of movements considering. You might actually need the extra protection if this limits your movements more than you already are especially when fully outfitted and deploy with a good 30-40+ percent of your body weight added to your load out.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oblivions void
This thing looks kind of bulky and limiting as far as motion goes, well hopefully they'll get this a bit more streamline as time goes by, get something more akin to samurai armor which was incredibly flexible and gave a wide range of movements considering. You might actually need the extra protection if this limits your movements more than you already are especially when fully outfitted and deploy with a good 30-40+ percent of your body weight added to your load out.

should be glad dis is the starting point for all body protection against shrapnel and bullets. in the future armor may be stronger and lighter and more flexible.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
yeah this is a step towards full body protection, hopefully with nano tech or artificial muscle (mechanicle/bio engineered) we would have full body armor with the added benefits of increase strenght for the extra weight and stuff, but this is veryyyyyyyyyy far off.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I know the material that this is made of is Dutch but i wonder how well does it stop bullets? Also can anybody tell me more about Interceptor?

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
do we have any idea on how they stand up to armour pearcing rounds? they have also designed B8 level armour for vechiles which actually withstand IED'S (improvised explosive devices) good news all round when the design something to protect our troops and security forces

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
I know the material that this is made of is Dutch but i wonder how well does it stop bullets? Also can anybody tell me more about Interceptor?

www.dupont.com...

this dupont Kevlar shows that it is 5 times stronger than steel, while the new dyneema is 15 times stronger.

the interceptor body armor information u can look at this
www.olive-drab.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

its design to stop high caliber rounds like the 7.62 round used by insurgents and terrorists. i dont know about how good dyneema is against those rounds, but the professors design it says its design for IED shrapnel and assault rifle rounds but i prefer to see the tests.

[edit on 10-5-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
here is the information on dyneem materials being used for the all protection body armor, there are advantages and disadvantages, im sure the professors had dealt with the weaknesses.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
here is the information on dyneem materials being used for the all protection body armor, there are advantages and disadvantages, im sure the professors had dealt with the weaknesses.

en.wikipedia.org...

Dyneema has no unbonded groups on the outside which easily bond to water. Because of this, Dyneema does not absorb water readily, but it also does not wet easily, which makes bonding it to other polymers difficult. The weak bonding at the sides of the chain means that the edges break easily, making the fiber surface feel "slippery". Since Dyneema does not contain chemical groups (such as aromatic rings, amides or hydroxylic groups) that are susceptible to attack from aggressive agents, it is very resistant to water, moisture, most chemicals, UV radiation, and micro-organisms.

awesome which means resistant to biological, chemical and radiation.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Nice but does it stop them at point blank range? I heared somewhere that the latest bullet proof vests can stop a AK 47 bullet at 50 m. Is this vest the one from that source possibly?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join