It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16% of all Iranians are drug users.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

I agree that we should probably see some other statistics, but to use the "well, I know XX many that use.." doesnt work. Because for every person like you who may know a ton of users, I know virtually none.

[edit on 5-5-2005 by skippytjc]

I can promise you that you know alot more users than you think. Most people tend to hide their use from intollerant people.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
How come I have the image of village wise men etc. with a bong? Maybe it's cultural thing, they dont criminalize and condemn drug use so the elite and family heads etc. are free to entertain their guests with a bong? I might just have some twisted media image in my head but I've always though that it's not illegal in the middle east.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun

I agree that we should probably see some other statistics, but to use the "well, I know XX many that use.." doesnt work. Because for every person like you who may know a ton of users, I know virtually none.

[edit on 5-5-2005 by skippytjc]

I can promise you that you know alot more users than you think. Most people tend to hide their use from intollerant people.

Logan, I understand your statement, but you have no idea who I am and what/who I know. I grew up in a houshold with many drug dependant people. From illegal drugs to alchohol. Could some of the people I know be users without me knowing? Sure. But not that many as I have lived the life.

But in my life now, there arent many at all. You also need to take into account lifestyles as well. Users tend to suround themselves with users, and vice versa.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
That's not bad considering 100% of Americans use drugs. I'd say we're still number one, so y'all can sleep soundly, comfortable in your superiority.

Nicotine, Caffeine, pharmaceuticals, opiates, hallucinogenics, psychotropics, they're a part of everyday life in every corner of the globe.

If you want to talk about drug use, let's talk about drug use. Every human being on the planet uses drugs, they have been doing so since our species came into being, and they will continue to do so until the millisecond preceeding the extinction of our kind. Man is a drug addicted monkey, face facts.

If you want to talk about how evil the Iranians are, I'm going elsewhere. So which is it?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I guess we didn't really discover anything in this thread. Comparing the Prozac and Zoloft usage statistics here in the US with the hashish smoker statistics in Iran isn't too illuminating. There are plenty of both kind.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

People are executed in the streets for speaking out, but they allow drug use to run rampant.

Can you substantiate this?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Hum.............I wonder about drug users, I though here in the US we are the most drug users, after all we all have some prescribe drugs in our medicen cabinets at home.

Oh........wait, they are "prescribe drugs" so that doesn't count as drug users statistics.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
That's not bad considering 100% of Americans use drugs. I'd say we're still number one, so y'all can sleep soundly, comfortable in your superiority.

Nicotine, Caffeine, pharmaceuticals, opiates, hallucinogenics, psychotropics, they're a part of everyday life in every corner of the globe.

If you want to talk about drug use, let's talk about drug use. Every human being on the planet uses drugs, they have been doing so since our species came into being, and they will continue to do so until the millisecond preceeding the extinction of our kind. Man is a drug addicted monkey, face facts.

If you want to talk about how evil the Iranians are, I'm going elsewhere. So which is it?

Thank you for a sensible response. I believe the US has the highest per capita use of caffiene in the world (coffee, soda, tea, diet pills). Smoking, while certainly on the decline due to draconian legislation, is still highly prevalent here. Certainly alcohol consumption here is very high. Shall we continue? Sleep pills? Diet pills? Anxiety pills? Antidepressants? Muscle relaxants? Right there we're already talking a huge segment of the US population using what is essentially recreational drugs or mood enhancing drugs. I throw diet pills in with recreational because they are typically filled with stimulants. So with caffiene, alcohol, tobacco, and over the counter and prescription drugs we've already pretty much nailed 99% of the US population right there are occassional to full time drug users. Then we overlay illegal drug use over that, and just the major ones, pot, speed/meth and maybe heroin, and we're pretty much at 100% coverage of the country. You're talking about a country that markets drugs 24/7 on television to its population. That weans its children on refined sugar and caffiene and Ritalin. That has a Starbucks every block. That is willing to drink crappy beer for the sake of getting drunk. Iran has got nothing on us.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn

People are executed in the streets for speaking out, but they allow drug use to run rampant.

Give me a few minutes, this will take a while. I have dozens of sources for this. How many refferences do you want? 5? 20? 50? Ill start with a few as I am at work.

#1 www.iranfocus.com...
#2 www.iranfocus.com... (just a flogging, but close...)
#3 www.iranfocus.com... (including a 5 year old boy!)
#4 www.iranfocus.com...
#5 www.iranfocus.com... (jail for speaking out. Just speaking out!)
#6 www.iranfocus.com...
#7 www.iranfocus.com...
#8 www.iranfocus.com...
#9 www.iranfocus.com...
#10 www.iranfocus.com...
#11 www.iranfocus.com...
#12 www.iranfocus.com...

Sorry I was only able to refference just ONE SOURCE and only posted a dozen, but I only had a few minutes you see. Maybe later when I have some time Ill post a few dozen more instances for you if youd like.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn

www.iranfocus.com...

Not exactly "speaking out" I know. In fact, I'd say this "crime" is far more trivial. It warranted a street execution though.
People are executed in Iran for what we would believe to be doing nothing more than practicing basic freedoms, wether you want to bury your head in the sand or not. It happens.

Mind you. Some people deserve exactly what they get.

www.mensnewsdaily.com...

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
I wonder if they included alcohol in those numbers?

Right. Does the Iranian government consider alcohol a DRUG? Does this statistic include alcohol?

If America were to include alcohol into it's drug use statistics, I wonder what our percentage of drug users would be. Probably around 30% or so.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by KhieuSamphan

How could you have missed that?

Sorry my friend, I just get used to people posting in order to try and distort others' view of dfferent cultures/races, but then there is no hint of that in this post is there?

That's funny, I don't remember EVER seeing you post these feelings on ANY of the myriad threads that bash the U.S. Level playing field please.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This thread is pretty weak.

Who gives a damn about drug use stats? As a person who would NEVER
partake in the use of drugs, I could care less. But of course, illegal drug users are good targets for demonization, while people like Rush Limbaugh can be fiends on "legal" drugs and not get in trouble.

This is truly a pathetic way to attack Iran, skippy. You would do better attacking them on issues that actually hurt people. There's enough of those to keep you busy for a while...

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
This thread is pretty weak.

Who gives a damn about drug use stats? As a person who would NEVER
partake in the use of drugs, I could care less. But of course, illegal drug users are good targets for demonization, while people like Rush Limbaugh can be fiends on "legal" drugs and not get in trouble.

This is truly a pathetic way to attack Iran, skippy. You would do better attacking them on issues that actually hurt people. There's enough of those to keep you busy for a while...

Again, truly insightfull commentary from you Truth. The content you have added to this thread is nothing short of amazing.

I made a great post yesterday regarding Iran and its state sponsored terrorism. But the US haters got so hatefull and nasty they had to shut it down. You see, only posts hating the USA are alowed on these boards. Everything else gets shut down.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
First you have to consider cultural influences.
Then you have to question which drugs we're talking about.
Then you've got to compare the percentages of other nations.

I'm from California of course, but up to a third of the people I know use drugs at least occasionally. It might not be such a staggering figure.

Drug abuse has lasting effects in Texas, too.

The variance in the "official" study of addiction in Iraq and the politician's estimate is extraordinary.

In other Islamic nations the penalty for possession of certain drugs even in small amounts is death. What's the story with Iran, why is it as liberal as the US in this regard?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The two most abused drugs in America? Caffeine and alcohol. Pharmaceuticals as well. If you get a painkiller for a broken ankle that doesn't hurt, and give one to a friend, that's drug abuse.

These numbers mean nothing without info on what drugs people are using.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Again, truly insightfull commentary from you Truth. The content you have added to this thread is nothing short of amazing.

I made a great post yesterday regarding Iran and its state sponsored terrorism. But the US haters got so hatefull and nasty they had to shut it down. You see, only posts hating the USA are alowed on these boards. Everything else gets shut down.

Ok, what was wrong with my post? Was it the fact that I "appear" to endorse drug use? Was it the fact that I pointed out the legal/illegal drug double standard? Or are you mad because I called your thread weak?

Well, get mad again because your thread is WEAK.

In my class today, we were wrapping up the semester by looking at ways that statistics can be manipulated. Thanks for providing another real world example of this.
There's so many ways your argument is flawed, it ain't even funny.

Oh, your thread that got closed was better than this one, though not by much. You were doing ok when you posted the stuff about Iran, but you got caught up in talking about how evil they are that you shot yourself in the foot.

And don't flatter yourself; Oops had a MUCH better thread going than you did, and it got shut down. And yes, it was "bashing" the US, like you say.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Nice, real nice. Another thread proclaming that one nation is more evil than someone elses. *shakes head*

Will we ever learn? Probably not................

*Walks out the door in disgust*

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Play nice, truth. There's no room for insults, thread slandering, and other members' threads in a discussion about drug use in Iran.

NOW, how about that 16%?

Sep

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I'd say 16% is very very good when we see the geographical situation of Iran. Right next to the boarder of the biggest opium producer in the world I would say that no country would do any better.

www.alternet.org...

www.iranian.com...

"But outgunned and outspent by ruthless adversaries who travel in Toyota Land Cruisers and 4x4 pickups equipped with anti-aircraft guns and missiles, Iranian forces can only claim modest gains. According to international agencies, Iran still manages to interdict approximately 17 percent of drugs entering its territory, a quantity exceeding that seized by all other countries in the world combined."

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Sep]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join