It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silent Conspiracy of the Lurkers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I wasn't going to reply because I have nothing to add to this thread that hasn't already been stated by previous posters, but since that is exactly what the subject is about, I will simply reply to state that I have nothing more to add to this thread that hasn't already been stated by previous posters.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
i read a lot of posts just go gather more information/insight and to see things in a different way than i do. Another reason that I dont post too often is becuase a lot of times, if someone posts something they believe without any evidence, they are quickly shunned by those that can't prove their own stance. I guess it all goes back to the fact that anyone can post anything on the internet and there are people that will take it as fact just becuase it's on the internet. So I dont want to be drawn into those battles. I like learning new things and hearing things I've never heard about, but at the end of the day, I have my own beliefs about things and though I cannot 'prove' them in a court of law, I dont have to in order to believe them or think they happened. Just becuase I cannot 'see' the brain in someones head doesnt mean that they dont have one. Whether they choose to use it is another story... HAHA

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
There is a silent conspiracy of lurkers and I am a member, but we are having problems because we are not talking to each other so our conspiracy is falling apart. I agree with many of the previous posters on this thread as far as why I "lurk" more than I post. It seems to me though that in many threads there isn't really to much discusion about things, its more of a fact finding mission. Just because you can't find links supporting a position doesn't mean it should be dismissed, and sometimes I feel this happens. Sometimes I don't post because of this. I want people to input new thoughts and not just regurgitate facts.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
For me it's having WAY more questions than answers. And most of those have already been asked and well responded to.
The depth of subject matter on this site can take a lot of time to sift through and I mean sift cause more often than not new questions will arise.
I like to think of it as a perpetual information machine.

If you use the search tools correctly you don't need to bother asking the same old questions which make everybody shake their heads, sigh and put you on ignore.

Basically, I'm finding answers to "my" questions but don't have the answers/time for everybody Else's.
I do contribute in my own way though. Right now I have about a dozen friends on this site everyday, that I've referred here and they are VERY active posters "unlike me"

Not controversial or opinionated. Just too busy informing myself.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This would be the first time if posted in weeks if not months im a lurker to the core.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I myself view alot of these posts at work. I'm at work right now for example and I often don't get a chance after reading lengthy posts to have the time to actually interject my own opionions or ideas.
Often times someone has already mentioned something I would have brought up anyway.
Don't really mean to lurk, I find all of this very interesting and also very informative.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
...just passing...

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Just stopped by again. Hi Icarus! I didn't lurk this time.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
doesn't Icarus get ATS points for every reply made to a thread?

...i'm going to post a new thread that says "post here to win an I-Pod"

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Not that even a percentage of the viewers here are, but I have an inkling that maybe 1 or 2 clicks may just be from the government monitors...

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Points are not the point for me. I start threads because I'm interested in a topic that fits a category (there's one for just about everything), and this is a great site to network knowledge. Many sage members here. Lots of interesting subjects. I often start threads with a question, and my opinion. Sometimes I even have a link or two to back it up. What's great is reading what other people think, what they're passionate about. It is rewarding to me to find out what people are interested in on this site and have a popular thread. I'm trying to develop my writing skills as well, and posting alot helps. I seem to have backed (or gone sideways) into some strange, ATS type material in my life, too, and this is the place to air it out.

That's why I don't want it to be apathy that is driving the lurkers. Lurking in itself is not a bad thing. The fact that folks are here checking out the site is a good thing. I wonder what the motivations are, that's all. Bemused distance (look at what these people are saying now!), confused silence (not necessarily a bad thing), ulterior motives (big brother had better be watching)? Don't be shy, let it fly! If you have questions, pick the appropriate forum and ask 'em. Do a search, read and add to existing threads. Start a new one. Go for it.

MauiStacey, thanks for the shout out. You rock.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Do you really want my opinion?

I only post when I think I have something to add to the conversation.

Sometimes, I'll type up a reply, think it's dumb and never hit the Post Reply button. Not afraid of looking dumb, it's just Post Reply button shyness or something.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
hhmmmm i'm not a lurker.........i post alot too. but like some of the others i would SWEAR that i'm a thread killer.

as is the norm several folks get in to serious conversation and totally disregard all others posting on the thread..........bummer.........cause sometimes i have really good things to say!

lots of times on some of the longer threads...........it takes me FOR EVER to read thru it. i mean a LONNNNGGGG time.........so by the time i get to the end i've forgotten some of the good posts..........sheesh!

and sometimes i have NO CLUE as to what on earth some of the threads are about..........so i click for purely educational purposes cause some stuff is OUT THERE............and i can't add a darned thing.

good thread!

angie

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
It's funny that you should compare us to that old Asteroids cheater's mechanism (lurking).

Nice to know I'm in the majority (99%). There's so much here to get caught up on and sometimes I can't tell what the topic is really about until I take a look. Other times I think I'll have something to contribute and see that someone has already mentioned the same point.

But mostly I don't say much because the forums are pretty intimidating. Not in an intentionally bad way, but say you go open bowling and find yourself flanked by a bunch of pro's on their night off. They're just being themselves and good at what they're doing. So you do your best and maybe learn something from being in proximity.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Nobody will know unless you lurkers hanging around out there respond to this or another thread and explain yourselves! Don't be thread parasites. Engage in the discussion or mind your own business!

I'm being harsher than I really feel or intend in order to try and stir some passion in the leeching lurkers.

Show yourselves!

Well if I have to respond to every message then, I like beer. I especially like Coors beer.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
What about the ones that lurk and arent even members yet? There must be thousands of those...thats eerie...

Why do you come here?
Why not become a member?
What are you afraid of?
Is it me?
Is it that Asala is rumored to bite? (quite the contrary)
Please dont lurk. Come join us so we know who you are

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
May I suggest Blue Moon Belgian White Ale. I believe it is made by Coors. Find it at your local supermarket. Enjoy it while visiting ATS, and reply to lots of threads.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I used to be a poster, turned into a lurker, and am becoming a poster again.

I think there is a "conspiracy" that is worse than that of lurkers. It's the "conspiracy" of people who just can't stop posting, even when there is nothing what so ever to say. Maybe they are after points or attention, but what ever the reason, I am much more bothered by folks who post nonsense than by those who are silent. Silent folk do no real damage of which I am aware, but people who just can't stop typing when there's nothing to say can do damage - they degrade the quality of the entire site.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
wellwhatnow,

You come across as kind of disgruntled to me. Have you been seeing alot of garbage posts lately? Do you think the sight is being dumbed down?

I don't. The mods do a good job of moving stuff where it belongs, and most members eventually figure out where to post stuff. We all have something to say, and most stories start at the surface. Its getting started with telling the story that counts.

As a story or thread unfolds, the deeper meanings behind a topic can be exposed, leading to more relevant exchanges of ideas and perspectives. There is no limit, other than time available for looking, to the scope and breadth of the knowledge available here at ATS.

The important thing, to me, is that people post freely without the concern of being labeled inane or pointless. Every member is entitled to share their opinion or comments, regardless of what other members, or our good friends the lurkers, think. Find a place to get started, and dive in. Oh, and keep it short and to the point for wellwhatnow, will ya?

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Thanks Icarus for exposing us. Now I will have to go find some other clandestine, secret group to join. I really liked this one too. Nobody bothered me. I didn't have to go through any weird ritual initiation. No loyalty oaths. No boring meetings. I could just read lots of posts and plot my take over of the world.

Not anymore...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join