It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silent Conspiracy of the Lurkers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I'd consider myself a luker, and I usually don't respond to a lot of threads because there's usually someone who has said something that I probably couldn't say better myself.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Awesome responses from what I feel are some of the best members on the site. You guys are great. Really shed light on an interesting subject for me.

No offense dj, I just find some friction sometimes helps a thread. I don't want to go overboard, though. Besides we're not parrots playing 'Polly want a cracker' here, are we. Bygone are bygones, my friend. ok?

I really like the building up to posting concept. I encourage those that have the time and the inclination to go for it, it can be very rewarding.

The re-read ratio may be higher than I thought, as well, another good point.

Life is not a spectator sport, and neither is ATS. As I've said, I'm currently disabled due to injury and on a long recovery, so having the outlet of ATS for no extra charge is a godsend for me. Lately, I've found it hard to keep to myself about a lot of things. If I've offended anyone, I want you to know that these are only my opinions, and yours are just as valid. No matter what my words may convey to you, please remember that this is all in good fun, and I'm not getting upset or trying to upset anyone.

I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time here, only to inspire those that want to post, for whatever reason, but don't for the same. I sensationalize things to try and draw attention to the important aspects as I see them.

There is an awesome networking of knowledge here at ATS, all through give and take, wordplay. Its a great opportunity to use your voice and participate.

[edit on 30-4-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I have read a few of your threads and posts, but have replied to none. Why? I suppose that your light hurts my eyes a little bit.

I could say that in your case particularly I tend to lurk, lol...no offense intended, though. I just don't wish to add anything of my own to those discussions of yours that I have read.

Hope that you're having a lovely evening!

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
OK, so I lurk here just about every day. I did for a while before finally getting around to register when I had something to say.
I think most of the threads are well represented by a number of viewpoints and I don't often have anything worthwhile to add to help others make up their own minds.
I'm not a pushy person and I think it's up to everyone to read the facts, or intuitions, to come to their own conclusions.
I find myself learning a great deal from these threads, often a lot more information on subjects that I thought I knew about - but obviously didn't.
In those cases I keep my mouth shut. Like Mother always told me if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
I don't want to waste the bandwith with crap basically.
I think ATS is more than just a forum, the information here can help to shape our future and what we decide to do with it. I thinkit is extremely underrated, undervalued and often ridiculed by those too ignorant to bother investigating facts for themselves (oops my husbands ears are burning)
And now I will sink back into obscurity till I feel the need to stick my oar in again..
thanks for asking for opinions though!

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Well here is some food for thought for other lurkers.

Have you ever read the "Deny Ignorance" definition? It has real meaning that includes you. At the site entrance, click on the about menu tab.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Regarding opinion, in most discussion forums one sees both extremes and little in between when a topic arises. However, due to the unique cross-section of knowledgeable participants found at ATS, and their voracious appetite for truth and fact coupled with an unmatched ability to collaborate, track down, locate, expose, and share information, one finds a virtual bell curve of opinion here. With this "bell", one can easily ignore the extremes and average the remainder, thus generating the aforementioned vivid picture. This explains the inverted nature of ATS's member to traffic ratio. Perhaps you can trust everybody collectively! It is the denial of ignorance that draws the crowds.

So let yourself be heard, your opinion does matter. I think we all need to be reminded of this from time to time.

See you in the funny papers.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
Well isnt it true when ever anyone opens that thread, it counts as a view? It could be just the same people who replied are viewing the thread over and over again just to read any other followups on it. I often check threads that interests me at least 10 to 20 times a day. And sure I reply but not everytime i view it.
I always check back to see if a quote or a reply has been made and this counts as a view. I may not have anything to add but I want to follow the thread.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Reasons why.

1. It has already been said.
2. I post like I talk. I only say something when it needs to be said.
3. I don't like being called a liar, and yes I have been called a liar.

4. There are some post I would love to add my opinion to. But to tell the truth I am afraid to. Why? Well I am an American citizen, and to be frank I am afraid of my goverment. I am afraid what I post will be used against me.
5. I am not the best speller in the world, and the spelling police on this board like to tell me everytime I make a mistake. I don't need to be told my spelling sucks. I know this.

Sis

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I always want to post, but when the time comes I forget my password. I hate having to go check my email when I do the password reset. I know I should just change my pass to something I can remember, but I am just too lazy lol. I enjoy reading and learning as much as I can about a subject before I make a post.

Also, to the person who has a problem with spelling. Download the new google toolbar. It has a simple button that will check your spelling before you post.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Ok...I confess! I am a major lurker! I read the site a few times a day, although to read all the posts I am interested in takes quite a bit of time. I also don't usually respond for the numerous reasons that previous posters have stated. A lot of topics I have to really learn more about, so I don't feel I should post until I know more about it. I also use ATS as an alternate news source. Have faith though...even though I may not post, believe me I do talk with people who do not visit here about a lot of the things that I have read or found out about that I was not aware of previously. So maybe I am still doing my part to deny ignorance? I sure hope so!

I have also wanted to start some threads about certain things, but am never sure if it has been brought up before. I start to search as the site is so big, but then get discouraged, and since I don't want to be repetitive, I just forget about it. I have also wanted to submit stories, or news that sometimes I seem to find earlier than I see posted here, but the whole news submission thing seems to intimidate me. lol

[edit on 1-5-2005 by frogs453]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I read a lot these days but don't post often for a few reasons

1) same old topics over and over again and now it seems that no one at all even bothers with the search to see if there may be other detailed threads on the subject....they are really missing some good conversations! Many of the same old topics do not get more than a page when there are other threads on the subject much longer.

2) Same old responses over and over again.....I read though and do, very occasionally, find a new response

3) I get aggravated with some things that go on and I just leave for the day

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I think the main reasons why I quit posting are:

• I'm tired of explaining the same over again. People here should use ATS search before asking something that has been discussed zillion times.
  • Frequently I have only a few minutes; hence I can read some threads only
  • I hate to convince and argue with trolls as they are not willing to listen

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stonecold
I always want to post, but when the time comes I forget my password. I know I should just change my pass to something I can remember, but I am just too lazy lol.

www.digitalpersona.com...

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Icarus

I just stopped by this thread and didn't want to offend you by not posting LOL.

I don't think your avatar is too bright. I think it's beautiful. Your Screen name reminds me of one of my favorites pictures, the Lament for Icaurs, very beautiful too.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I'm stoked by how this thread has taken off, and the thoughtful and informative responses it has drawn from new and long-time members alike. Reading about what motivates you reflects in my own insight.

I know the rehash issue looms larger the longer you have been a member. The search feature works well if you apply key words to thread topics and posts, but I usually just search recent threads right from the forum I'm thinking of starting a thread in. Getting turned off by the same old urbane nonsense comments from flippant, dis-interested posters is a challenge, too. Maybe some fast software that compares new threads to existing topics in that forum would help weed out rehash. I don't have an answer for the urbane nonsense, I think I may be guilty of it myself at times.

For those that are new and want to post but aren't, defining areas of interest and researching those topics can help develop thread ideas and expand existing threads with well considered replies. The forums themselves are a treasure of all sorts of data just waiting to be mined. Its great for everyone when members look through there and add comments to existing threads, rejuvenating and extending them.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Some people don't reply probably because they feel their viewpoint won't be accepted, or they're afraid of getting flamed.

This was the main reason why, at first, I would never post. Many times on other boards, when I would post, I would be certain that some type of negative comment would be forthcomming, such as why did you dredge up this old topic, you should have started a new one, or why did you start a new thread, there is already a thread on this topic, or the typicall noob comments.

But then I came across this:
"Calling such beginning members "n-0-0-b", "n-e-w-b-i-e", or other derogatory names just because they're beginning their journey to enlightenment is generally frowned upon. (I'm so much against this vile practice I've applied a censor for the words, n-0-0-b = n00b)"

That statement told me that this was a freindly board, so I decided to give it a go, and here I am, a posting fool!!

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I post at a LOT of Internet boards, plus I have a blog that I occasionally post on. Kinda hard to keep track of everything over here! Plus I've been very busy--I'm a stay-at-home wife and mother.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
well yes..i guess i have silently conspired to "lurk" on this board. you ask why?

a few simple reasons :

1. topics have been discussed to death ( in the short time i'm a member here and before when i just read threads and did not even register )

2. often everything has been said already, i don't need to add a " yes/no i (don't ) agree on that" to any thread out there just to leave a "mark"

3. the incredible amount of "wars" between religious and/or political ideologies which ends usually in insults & flames. no need to waste my time with this BS, it's like convincing a german neonazi that he is dead wrong. that's often the point where i leave this site, calm down and realize again that we are indeed in the 21st century

4. often i read threads just for entertaining, ATS is very entertaining if you relax, lean back and don't take it serious. for me this is the case in almost every section of the ATS forums, from the "war on terror", over UFO/ET's to secret societies. while all sections have good reasons to be there, it often heads into a quite unreasonable and unproductive exchange of chars ( don't want to call it discussion.. ).
but don't get me wrong, i don't want to ridicule any of these topics. in fact , my personal interest in the ufo-phenomenon has led me to this site, but when i take a look at the majority of topics...well there is simply nothing to contribute for me...so i lean back, relax and enjoy the view.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer
One expects "ignorance denied" and finds complete idiots running amok...."

Oh man. You just got one of my 'way above' votes. Your entire
post was great ... but this was classic.

If I go into a thread and see so much junk that it would take weeks
to educate the posters then I just leave. I have gotten way too tired
of posting and posting and reposting and repeating facts ... and having
those facts ignored because the people (or person) are so brainwashed
by their cult of choice that they can't see facts. It's a waste of time.
(BTS religion forum - unbelievable!!)

Other times I'll go into a thread and read, but because I don't know the
subject matter I have nothing to add of significance. I'm just there to learn.
Still other times, I'm just reading to entertain myself. No conspiracy here.
Excellent thread question however.

[edit on 5/9/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Conspiratorially speaking, my lurking goes in cycles. There's times when I'm heavily involved, and then I step back to lurk and watch, allowing the other members of my team to do postings. We've been gathering information on all of you: watching; learning; posting when necessary to blend in with the other members. For example, a few weeks ago, I came back on "active duty" for my secret society (The Left-Handed Misinformation Distribution Analysis Corporation For Dyslexic Paranormal World Domination -- LHMDACFDPWD for short, if you're wondering) and so I began posting again.

So yes, there's a conspiracy. And we're out here. Long live the LHMDACFDPWD!

hahahah.

HAHAHAHAHAH!

MU-WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

*cough*

wooo.... need to cut back on the evil laughter so late in my day.....

Now where did those nice meds the doctor gave me for situations like this wind up....?

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
This thread's made me click the register to be a member - been lurking here on and off for about four years or so (possibly less, possibly more.) I've always been interested in the 'why's' and 'wherefores' of current events and not so current events, so I'm here more to read, digest and process. Not sure if I'll ever have anything too mind or earth shattering to say...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join