It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air America Radio Investigated after Bush 'Gunshots'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
This appeared on DRUDGE. Very unprofessional, if you ask me.

quote:**Exclusive**

The red-hot rhetoric over Social Security on liberal talkradio network AIR AMERICA has caught the attention of the Secret Service, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Government officials are reviewing a skit which aired on the network Monday evening -- a skit featuring an apparent gunshot warning to the president!

The announcer: "A spoiled child is telling us our Social Security isn't safe anymore, so he is going to fix it for us. Well, here's your answer, you ungrateful whelp: [audio sound of 4 gunshots being fired.] Just try it, you little bastard. [audio of gun being cocked]."

The audio production at the center of the controversy aired during opening minutes of The Randi Rhodes Show.

"What is with all the killing?" Rhodes said, laughing, after the clip aired.

"Even joking about shooting the president is a crime, let alone doing it on national radio... we are taking this very seriously," a government source explained.

Developing...
endquote

Typical of Randi Rhodes to laugh about it.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Wow, interesting move. Now, if the government does enforce the law and hold them accountable for their actions, Air America will start crying that the government is trying to silence the nation's only democratic voice. If they don't enforce the laws, we find that some people are above the law and Air America will be empowered to do something even worse.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I remember listening to that. It was a skit for the NRAARP. The National Rifle Association of Retired People! Air America is great! I listen to it all the time at work. I stream it from the web. My favourite show is the "Majority Report" with Jeanne Garofalo. Smart and funny stuff!

Let the secret service investigate, more publicity for Randi!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Yeah, nothing smarter or funnier than assassination humor. That stuff kills!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I'm uncomfortable about the actual use of the audio clip. I'm a fan of Air America, I listen to it. I enjoy crass, offensive humor, but some things are just crossing a line, and this is one of them.

It's not because I respect Bush, or even like him, because I don't. I just remember how outrageous I thought it was when Rush and others did it to Clinton. If I think it's wrong when that nutter Michael Savage does it, then it has to be wrong when Randi Rhodes does it too.

There are funnier ways to make fun of Bush then this, God knows he gives us a enough material. To improv some silly, colt 45 revenge fantasy is just plain stupid. Plus, it just gives malcontents like O"Reilly and Hannity something to complain about.

This is classified under "things that sounded like a good idea at the time"

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Two Schlock Jocks down South once threatened Clinton like this and said "he'd better come down with bodyguards."

Secret Service investigates anyone who makes threats. Yawn.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Two Schlock Jocks down South once threatened Clinton like this and said "he'd better come down with bodyguards."

Jesse Helms said the same thing about Clinton visiting military bases down south! I'm listening to Randi now, no one from the secret service has ntacted her. She's apologizes for the lame skit. She doesn't listen to all of the "bumpers" (The stuff right before or after a commercial break) but since her name is on the show, she accepts responisibilty.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Maybe this will give Air Amerika the bump it needs in it's flatline ratings, who knows?

Sat through the afternoon in the car listening anyway, the "Liberal" with me thought it was stupider than Hannity. I did too.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realist05
Maybe this will give Air Amerika the bump it needs in it's flatline ratings, who knows?

Sat through the afternoon in the car listening anyway, the "Liberal" with me thought it was stupider than Hannity. I did too.

Now you know how I feel when I listen to Rush or Michael Savage

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

"Even joking about shooting the president is a crime, let alone doing it on national radio... we are taking this very seriously," a government source explained.

Developing...
endquote

Typical of Randi Rhodes to laugh about it.

So, are the secret service going to take this as serious as they did the Kennedy assasination? Sit back boys, we have nothin to worry about.....................

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I think the law against speech involving possible death threats against the president should be struck down. I think death threats against any U.S. president can be pretty damn funny, and I cant think of a clearer and more blunt way of expressing disapproval against an administration.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by brimstone735
If I think it's wrong when that nutter Michael Savage does it

I listen to The Savage Nation everyday and he has never done anything like this. Michael is out-spoken, but he has not broken any FCC laws.

This cheap Stunt was the last gasp of Air America..its ratings are in the toilet and its on the way to the garbage heap...where it belongs.

Michael Savage has 10 Million listeners a week on his show because he is an independant conservative and NOT a cheerleader for President Bush or the Liberals....he rips into both of them.

Maximu§

[edit on 063030p://333 by LA_Maximus]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Sorry to break it to you conservatives out there but maybe you should research before you make blanket statements about ratings.

Al Franken's show gets better ratings than O'Reilly in NY.

radio.about.com...

They must be failing since they went in a year from 6 stations to 52, and just signed a contract with XM.

www.blogd.com...

I wonder, did you hear about the ratings from Hannity or Limbaugh and just blindly repeat it?

BTW, Micheal Savage kicks arse. I may not like his vitriolic rhetoric about gays and liberals, but when he talks about food or just tells old anectdotes I can't change the station. Oh yeah, and he thinks Bush is incompetent, what a guy.

[edit on 27-4-2005 by LeftBehind]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus

This cheap Stunt was the last gasp of Air America..its ratings are in the toilet and its on the way to the garbage heap...where it belongs.

Maximu§

Savage should of stuck with selling vitamins, he sounds like a Klan member, a not vey well informed one.

What makes you think its ratings are in the toilets? They are expanding in their markets, and beating their competition in the 18-35 market. Or do you something they don't?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus

Originally posted by brimstone735
If I think it's wrong when that nutter Michael Savage does it

I listen to The Savage Nation everyday and he has never done anything like this. Michael is out-spoken, but he has not broken any FCC laws.
Maximu§

Gosh, I couldn't tell that you listen to Michael Savage every day. You're so easy going and tolerant of people who are different.

Seriously, when Clinton almost died, what did Savage say? "Hell was full"

Savage is nutcase, and the people who listen to him every day? I'll leave that up to your imagination.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeftBehind
Sorry to break it to you conservatives out there but maybe you should research before you make blanket statements about ratings.

Al Franken's show gets better ratings than O'Reilly in NY.

radio.about.com...

They must be failing since they went in a year from 6 stations to 52, and just signed a contract with XM.

www.blogd.com...

The ratings you cite were from July 2004, when AAR was new and still a curiosity. Since then, they have steadily declined, to their lowest point yet:

Between the hours of 10 A.M. and 3 P.M., the period that includes Al Franken's program, Air America drew a 1.4-percent share of the New York audience aged 25 to 54 in Winter 2005. That number is the latest in a nearly year-long decline. In Spring of 2004, Air America's first quarter on the air, it drew a 2.2-percent share of the audience. That rose to 2.3 percent in the Summer of 2004, then fell to 1.6 percent in the Fall of 2004, and is now 1.4 percent — Air America's lowest-ever quarterly rating in that time and demographic slot

ratings slide

They're both blowhards, anyway. O'Reilly just happens to make a ton more money than Franken.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The Secret Service goes after people who have 'off with his head' bumper stickers and a radio sketches.

These people obviously don't have anything useful to do with their time.

Can you say 'Secret service losers'?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
The Secret Service goes after people who have 'off with his head' bumper stickers and a radio sketches.

These people obviously don't have anything useful to do with their time.

Can you say 'Secret service losers'?

They seemed to do a pretty good job today, reacting to the WH airspace invasion. To me, the losers are those running around with 'off with his head' bumper stickers. They really need to get a hobby.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I hope the Secret Service hunts down this woman like a wild animal and throws her in front of a firing squad!

[edit on 4/27/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
jsobecky,

I am sure the president has many very REAL threats to his life.

The examples i cited absolutely are not.

It is a waste of taxpayer dollars to persue these absurd cases and is an attempt at intimidation and restriction of free speech.

The VERY FIRST amendment is about freedom of speech, press and expression.

You may want to note that the next time you're waving your flag.

A little advice though, learn spanish, This government has sold out to big business and its desire for virtual slave labor comming in illegally across our southern border.

A nation without borders ceases to be a nation rather quickly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join