It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Gays Criticize Proposed Foster Parents Ban in Texas

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Under legislation proposed by Rep. Robert Talton, R-Pasadena, gay and bisexual Texans would be prohibited from serving as foster parents. The law has already passed the House and a vote is pending in the Senate. The Senate version of the bill does not contain a provision against gay fostering.

www.usatoday.com
Eva Thibaudeau and her partner, Christina Rodriguez, have been foster parents to nearly 80 children since they were licensed eight years ago. They've adopted four of them.

But they would have to stop taking in kids under legislation passed by the House on Wednesday that could make Texas the only state to bar gays from becoming foster parents.

"I'm just so hurt and surprised, especially now (when) we are facing an ongoing crisis of not having enough resources to take care of foster children," said Thibaudeau, a social worker who lives in Houston.

She and Rodriguez brought their four children to the Capitol on Wednesday to speak out against the provision.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a heated issue almost everywhere. I disagree that kids are unaffected by the sexual activity of their caretakers. My own experience convinces me that children prefer not to be placed in the homes of openly gay foster parents.

Related News Links:
www.ehow.com
slate.msn.com
slate.msn.com
www.gay.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
ARE YOU A HOMOPHOBE????

[edit on 05/4/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
That’s wonderful. I’m glad some states still have morals and haven’t accepted to the "queer eye" philosophy. I hope that bill passes. Who and heck wants to go to school and talk about their two dads or their two moms. Just because some people are born messed up (Gay) doesn’t mean that they have to confuse the kids they adopt.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Foster children are probably already quite messed up and confused, no need to further complicate their lives by temporarily putting them in a gay or lesbian couple's home.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Foster children are probably already quite messed up and confused, no need to further complicate their lives by temporarily putting them in a gay or lesbian couple's home.

Ya you're probably right. I didnt even think of that. Still thats no excuse.

[edit on 20-4-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I'm glad Texas is doing this- maybe some other states will 'come out of the closet' as well.

Children need normalcy. Foster children need it even more.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks

Children need normalcy. Foster children need it even more.

Very nicely said. I could say more, but I won't.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

You're right. Kids need stability and normality, even in the midst of tribulation, and placing them with gays, or lesbos, or mixed race couples, or other deviants will end up hurting them in the long run.

Yeah, so enough of the sarcasm. Sure kids may be somewhat uncomfortable with foster parents who don't fit the Ward and June Cleaver stereotype, but the bill (link to Texax House version here) doesn't state any qualatative reason for this prohibition. Since there is no harm cited in the bill, I think that it should bear some serious scrutiny.

If Talton can come back and provide statistics to show that children with homosexual parents suffer a statistically significant increase in problem behaviors, then there's a point to argue from. In the meantime, this can only devolve into "Gays are icky and against God" versus "Nuh-uh, it's perfectly natural, just live and let live."

Of course this, being the Internet, will obviously favor the latter

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I hope all of you homophobes rush out and take in the foster children you don't want the gays to raise. Or do you only care about the children when it gives you an opportunity to mask your insecurities through hatred?

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Can't say I know much about what happens to abandoned children in the U.S., but I suppose this shows that Texans would prefer unwanted children to remain in orphanages rather than to be in the care of somebody who actually wants them to live with at least some semblence of a normal life just because of some pointless bigotry.

I wonder when the anti-buggery laws will start being proposed in Texas?

[edit on 21-4-2005 by Frith]

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
This isn't about caring for children.

It is about promoting the Heterosexual Agenda.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I believe that if parent's are generally happy people, so will there children be. Parents as individuals who hate themselves, will hate their children. And this is like AIDS... it doesn't care about a person's sexuality. There are Gay and Lesbians that are great people, and will make great parents too.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whiskey Jack
If Talton can come back and provide statistics to show that children with homosexual parents suffer a statistically significant increase in problem behaviors, then there's a point to argue from. In the meantime, this can only devolve into "Gays are icky and against God" versus "Nuh-uh, it's perfectly natural, just live and let live."

Exactly.
The thing is that there IS no proof that having gay parents messes you up in any way. In fact a lot of gay parents make better parents than normal parents because they realize like noone else that everyone around them is watching them and the way they raise their kids.

The law is ridiculous and based on fear and ignorance, typical for the state it was made in.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I don't have the time right now to hunt down the links, but well, do a search on the foster care system in texas, and well, the mental health plan that Bush put into effect there that the federal one he is working on is based on...
I'm sorry, but there's bigger problems in the texas foster care system (and probably every other state) for them to be worried about. just the fact that this law took precedence over them cleaning up the mess they have is outrageous!

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
How completely loathesome.

The people of Texas are apparently A-OK with foster kids being handed over to drug addicts, child abusers and child molesters, as long as they aren't "dirty homos." How charming...

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
I hope all of you homophobes rush out and take in the foster children you don't want the gays to raise. Or do you only care about the children when it gives you an opportunity to mask your insecurities through hatred?

You got my vote for this month curme, I wonder how many of the "hate filled homophobic" will take some of this abuse and mistreated children specially the Crack babies that nobody seems to care for it.

The only life of normalcy that they could hope for is they same homes that hate against homos are going to be closed to them.

Go ahead start opening your arms to them, taking care of children with mental problems due to abuse or drugs, only can be done by people with love in their harts.

Now homophobic hate pushers.

Another hate pushing thread against homosexuals, how sad, sometimes I wonder what they have done to any of you.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
You know, I've never understood this battle. There's just as many heterosexuals out there who can seriously screw a kid up. If nothing else, we heterosexuals have gotten really good at hating gays--this article is case in point. And homosexuals actually want kids. Yeah, there's a lot of heteros out there who do too, but the main, obvious difference is that we can have kids when we want to. Barring infertility, we don't have to adopt.

I think we should be more worried about the quality of the person trying to raise the kid instead of their sexual orientation. Yeah, the kids might get teased in school because of their parents. Who wasn't made fun of in school? That's part of growing up: getting bullied and learning to stick up for yourself when you need to. I wish the Christian Conservatives would keep their cross out of everyone else's business. What happened to "Judge not lest ye be judged?" My only regret is not moving out of Texas sooner...

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
It's not that gays have done anything to them.

For Fascism to get a foothold, you need to constantly spread fear of "enemies within", subverting the society (fatherland) and the will of the "real Americans" (the Volk). You need a focus for public fear and hatred to convince people they need to surrender their liberties for the greater good.

I'm sure some of this is motivated by genuine antipathy towards gays, but in large part it is simply one piece among many in the conspiracy to turn the US into a fascist state, using religion and predjudice as unifying memes to get the people behind the Fascist takeover.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Makes no sense to me....Must be part of this new faction in America that thinks the Bible was written by the same people who wrote the Constitution....

Get this - We have a system set up that filters out the potentially bad parents from the potentially good...

We have a group of people who are caring and willing to show their support for a young human being who has no place to live in this world - They're willing to pay for that child's food, house him/her and educate them....

But b/c some of those people have personal preferences in their sexual lives that deviate from a religious agenda (and now an ever-growing political one as well), We suddenly decide to through logic, and reasoning right out the door with a 2/3 vote on something that has no fundamental support behind it other than a bunch of Bible-thumping people yelling "faggot" at the top of their lungs and making veiled threats while our backs are turned.....

This country gets better by the minute!

Peace out....I'm going to Disney World guys.....

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
Makes no sense to me....Must be part of this new faction in America that thinks the Bible was written by the same people who wrote the Constitution....

Hey, take it easy there.
The bible is not THAT clear on this subject, there are several interpretations and the one you talk about are lacking if you ask me.

The bible even reveals that David may have had an affair with Jonathan if you look at the original untranslated texts.

Anyways, it's sad but not unpredictable that Texas is the first state in which this kind of madness starts.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Wow what an intelligent move, not.

So more children get to stay in care homes, which is never a good environment for a child, instead of living with loving parents.

The only reason these kids may have any problems is due to bigots and religous no-brainers calling them names. Gays are not the problem.

Way to go backwards Texas.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join