It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Missouri Man Spits on Jane Fonda

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
Nixon or Johnson didn't fly overseas to have lunch with the enemy in the field.

(BTW, I am not a Viet Nam Vet, but a Persian Gulf I Vet).

No, they sent hundreds of thousands to an unwinnable, unpopular war. VN was a huge P. contest and the servicemen/women were just pawns to them.

I am not American but I grew up with that war on my TV from the time I can remember until I was 13. Every damn night.

This was just wrong. As that war was. It has got to be let go.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks

Originally posted by goose
The protesters actions brought about the end to the war. I never heard anyone say they were protesting the soldiers or against the soldiers only that they protested the war and the fact that our sodliers were dying in it.

Don't go so far-

Returning soldiers(including marines)/sailors/airmen (after somewhere around '68/70) were:
    assaulted
    spit on
    not given their jobs back (that was a law)
    denied emplyoment
    divorced by surprise
    excluded on campuses

It was a bad time. The protestors in large part helped end the war. They did not end it.

If you read my first post on this matter you will see I am well aware of how the vets were treated by some very looney protesters, my husband was attacked by a woman screaming baby killer along with a few other obscene words and also physically attacked my husband by beating him in the chest with her fists at an airport, back then the military were required to wear their uniforms when traveling. I think the political unrest in this country caused by the protesters made our politicians at least consider taking that first step to end the war, maybe I am giving them too much credit but I don't think they the politicians would have considered it at all had it not been for the protesters. I am talking about the sane ones who protested not the looney ones who attacked vets in any way. But the protesters did not stop the supporters from greeting the soldiers with a heroes welcome, the supporters who helped send them there were the ones who deserted the soldiers. Thats generally the way it is though the ones who want you to go fight in a war are seldom there to greet you when you get home, to them you have served your purpose and now you are of little use to them, especially if you need medical care. It really makes me sick the way the vets are treated in this country, they deserve better.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   

. . . back then the military were required to wear their uniforms when traveling. . . .

I remember well going to a Salvation Army store and getting 'civvies.'

We (the guys I was with) had a tough time until then. Ugly clothes and hats! One guy wore a wig

This was in Arizona no less.

The time we went we left proudly, when we returned we hid. It was sad.

Our military had lied to us (Stars and Stripes news paper) and shock was the first impression when we tried to 'come home.'

California was nuts- Arizona, even the red necks gave us &%ll. The trip east was more than an experience.

Never travelled by bus again.

*edit to add-
but we didn't learn any real lessens. We still let them send our sons off to Grenada, Lebanon, Somalia, Iraq (twice).

Maybe the protestors were right? Maybe we really are barbarians.

[edit on 21-4-2005 by JoeDoaks]

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks

. . . back then the military were required to wear their uniforms when traveling. . . .

I remember well going to a Salvation Army store and getting 'civvies.'

We (the guys I was with) had a tough time until then. Ugly clothes and hats! One guy wore a wig

This was in Arizona no less.

The time we went we left proudly, when we returned we hid. It was sad.

Our military had lied to us (Stars and Stripes news paper) and shock was the first impression when we tried to 'come home.'

California was nuts- Arizona, even the red necks gave us &%ll. The trip east was more than an experience.

Never travelled by bus again.

*edit to add-
but we didn't learn any real lessens. We still let them send our sons off to Grenada, Lebanon, Somalia, Iraq (twice).

Maybe the protestors were right? Maybe we really are barbarians.

[edit on 21-4-2005 by JoeDoaks]

War itself is barbaric and thus creates those actions in some participating in it, its kill or be killed no time to make any other choice, anyone put in that situation has no choice, if they are going to survive and the majority of us are wired to want to survive. I've met two other people who said they are ashamed to say they have fought in Vietnam due to the abuse and the way they were treated when they got back home. One man who was in a sociology class I took in college said he got sent there when he was 18 and had not spoke of being there since he came home, he was forty some years old when he wrote a paper about being sent to Vietnam for class. He wrote about what a shock it was to be an 18 year old boy fresh out of high school and drafted to Vietnam, what a shock it was to go from graduation to be in the jungles of Nam with a gun scared out of his wits, terrified he was going to die there. At least these days one has a choice to enlist or not but the majority of Vietnam vets had no choice even in that, they were drafted. So they did the honorable thing and went when called and got treated like crap for their troubles. Though I am sure some of those looney protesters had something to do with it, the majority of the protesters have gotten a bad rep too, most vets hate them seeing them all counted in with the looney ones. Just like today a lot of people dislike the people protesting this war they see it as not supporting the soldier so if protesting the war because you want the soldiers home is not supporting the soldiers then the alternative would be to support the war and want the soldiers to stay in a war where many are dying everyday. I personally do not support this war, I want our young men and women home receiving everything they were promised for joining the military. I have the utmost respect for all of them, I know they are doing what they are doing right now in the worst of circumstances and trying to survive and help their fellow soldiers survive, (just like our soldiers in Vietnam) war leaves you no other choice but I want this war stopped and them home and to my way of thinking that is supporting them. As crazy as it sounds I want to thank you for serving your country when you were called upon to do so, that took courage and I am sorry you and your fellow soldiers were made to feel ashamed when you came home. Hubby does not tell people he was ever in Vietnam but for a different reason he was there for a very short period of time and not in the thick of any fighting, (he was there during the fall of Saigon bringing people out). He feels if he tells anyone he was there at all people will assume he was there for a full term (like his older brothers, one brother served three tours of duty there, another two tours as a pilot) so unlike a lot of people hubby sees the Vietnam vets as heroes and would not presume to claim that status.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
goose please use paragraphs- one long slug is extremely hard to read.

Back to your points-

My wife (3rd) lost a child at the age of 3. I have no doubt she was broken hearted. She is lived anti-war.

She is mad beyond belief at religious types that support the war yet are against abortion. To her they are condemning grown children to death and there is no difference in the two.

I'm ex as the guy in your class (you refer to). My 'backhome' experiences were different. While in college one of my times I was a VA counselor. Wow, what an experience in human nature.

I remember getting my draft notice the day after attending the sixth funeral for a high school classmate.

We didn't even know where Vietnam was. Bad times.

I never harbored any anger against the anti-war crowd. I understood after a time the Canadian exodus as well.

The reasons for the war were never right.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmaruM

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

It really shouldn't come as a surprise that sooner or later a veteran would take some action, even if it was mostly symbolic. It says quite a lot about our nation that those who supported the most vicious and murderous regimes of all time can become revered cultural icons and even run for President.

It doesnt come as much as a suprise to me either that some low life vet thinks spitting in peoples faces is a acceptable way of protest, doesnt say much for your nation from my view, also a man who was arrested and spat in a officers face in the US was arrested and had a possible life sentance because of his act, why should some probable child murdering face spitting yank be creditited for such an act? Im not a violent person but if he did that to me, id hit him with the nearest metal object i could find.

Amuk do you care to explain here why you gave me a warning for this post? I fail to see why i should speak kindly of a person who goes around spitting in womans faces, and i insulted nobody on this board or made racist remarks.

Maybe you would prefer if i started handing out recruiting leaflets for your nations mad crusade instead of speaking my own mind on a discussion board made just for that.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
wow, how classy, He really proved his point huh? I mean he totally showed her whois "tehwin"

petty.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
He made a point and a multi-leveled one, at that. A bullet would not have been inappropriate, but a stream of tabacco juice expressed volumes to veterans of the war in Vietnam, and anyone old enough to remember, and did so without raising very much in the way of outcries of indignation from the left.

I saw the guy interviewed on TV. I think he deserves a statue in his honor.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The assailant really showed his intelligence and nullified any kind of point he was trying to make by acting like such a jackass. I guess calling her a "poopie head" was a bit too mature for him.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Amuk do you care to explain here why you gave me a warning for this post? I fail to see why i should speak kindly of a person who goes around spitting in womans faces, and i insulted nobody on this board or made racist remarks.

Yeah I was just wondering the same.
So tell us Amuk, why the warning?

On topic;

Jane Fonda writes things Mr Vet doesn't agree with, so Mr Vet takes it all personal and spits Jane Fonda in the face.
I think this makes Mr Vet a pathetic idiot that should get some hardcore therapy to learn how to out his emotions in a normal and mature way without spitting people in the face.

Besides this, spitting people in the face doesn't really explain to someone what it is you disagree with.
This "action" is in all ways utterly dumb and pathetic, and anyone who thinks the pathetic dumb spitting vet should get a statue for this should reconsider their point of view.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The timing associated with this incident makes me suspicious. So, this guy waited decades to spit in Jane Fonda's face? I'm sorry, but noone holds a grduge for that long without something bringing it up to the effect of, "Oh yea, I forgot, I hate her." I don't think his feelings were that strong else he wouldn't have waited so long. Oh well, I guess when some people are close to meeting their maker, they have to find someway to get in the spotlight. After all, this guy probably would have been forgotten had he not been a jerk. Keep that brick wall facade up, sir.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   

as posted by curme
The assailant really showed his intelligence and nullified any kind of point he was trying to make by acting like such a jackass. I guess calling her a "poopie head" was a bit too mature for him.

Must have been an "incredible lapse in judgment" on his part, huh, curme?
Since you consider this person a "jackass" [in all places as ATSNN], would you place Jane Fonda in the same category?
Bear this in mind before you answer, mate:

About her protest involvement in the Vietnam War, Fonda has apologized for her anti-aircraft tank photo, calling it an incredible lapse in judgment.

Police: Man Arrested For Spitting On Jane Fonda -- Fonda Declines to Press Charges

seekerof

[edit on 23-4-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Personally I believe spitting on anyone is wrong.

That's my only real comment for this thread.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Must have been an "incredible lapse in judgment" on his part, huh, curme?
Since you consider this person a "jackass" [in all places as ATSNN], would you place Jane Fonda in the same category?
Bear this in mind before you answer, mate:

About her protest involvement in the Vietnam War, Fonda has apologized for her anti-aircraft tank photo, calling it an incredible lapse in judgment.

Police: Man Arrested For Spitting On Jane Fonda -- Fonda Declines to Press Charges

seekerof

[edit on 23-4-2005 by Seekerof]

If he apologizes, like Jane did for her lack of judgement, I think he will show a lot more intelligence and maturity than he had previously, much like Jane herself.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

If he apologizes, like Jane did for her lack of judgement, I think he will show a lot more intelligence and maturity than he had previously, much like Jane herself.

Jane Fonda has never said she was sorry for what she did in Vietnam. She is only sorry she was photographed on an AA gun.

Smith's act was absolutely poetic.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

I'll take bets this won't happen. Jane had it coming and she knows it. she could have sued and didn't. It might take her until her grave, but she will appologize clearly to the Vets.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I bet the poor guy was sick as a dog since he was not used to chewing tobacco, I chewed tobacco once as a teenager on a dare, I turned green within about 5 minutes, unfortunately smoking never affected me the same way.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Who'd a thunk it, a man spits on a stupid lady and its gets 3 pages of responses at a place where the motto is "deny ignorance".......who'd a thunk it?

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   

It doesnt come as much as a suprise to me either that some low life vet thinks spitting in peoples faces is a acceptable way of protest, doesnt say much for your nation from my view, also a man who was arrested and spat in a officers face in the US was arrested and had a possible life sentance because of his act, why should some probable child murdering face spitting yank be creditited for such an act? Im not a violent person but if he did that to me, id hit him with the nearest metal object i could find.

Amuk do you care to explain here why you gave me a warning for this post?

I think I can answer that. Look at the bold portion of your post.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko

Yeah I was just wondering the same.
So tell us Amuk, why the warning?

Calling people "probable child killers" is not an insult?

Would it be OK to call a black man a "probable crackhead"? How about calling Mexicans "probable rapists"?If you will notice I didnty say a word about those calling him an Idiot, etc.

You insulted ME with your asinine regurgitation of the "baby killer" crap the every vet has had to go through. You get your panties in a freaking wad over someone spitting in this traitorous bitches face but have no problem spiting in the face of every man that ever served in the military. I came home from almost two years in HELL to the abuse of people JUST like you spitting on me and calling me the same CRAP that you so bravely tag someone with from behind the safety of a monitor.

I (and Grady and others) have been called the same thing on this board by "people" just like you that dont have a #ing clue what they are talking about. You are quick to label an entire group "baby killers" and dont see it as an insult but whine like a little kid when 250 points are taking away from you.

If you have any more problems with it U2U me or file a complaint

[edit on 24-4-2005 by Amuk]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join