It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Missouri Man Spits on Jane Fonda

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Michael A. Smith, 54, of Kansas City, Missouri, who doesn't ordinarily chew tobacco, did so for the opportunity to spit a stream of tobacco juice at Jane Fonda at a book signing for her latest opus, My Life So Far. Smith is a veteran of the war in Vietnam and said the act was in retribution for the thirty-seven years "she spit in our faces...." Smith was arrested for disorderly conduct.

www.foxnews.com
A man spit tobacco juice into the face of actress Jane Fonda after waiting in line to have her sign her new book, police said.

The man ran off but was quickly caught by police Tuesday night and charged with disorderly conduct.

Fonda has been on tour and doing interviews to promote her just-published memoir, "My Life So Far." (search) The thrice-married, two-time Academy Award winner covers a wide array of topics, including her 1972 visit to Hanoi to protest the Vietnam War, during which she was photographed on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun. She has apologized for that photo, but not for opposing the war.

Capt. Rich Lockhart of the Kansas City Police Department said that although Fonda did not want to press charges against Michael A. Smith, 54, of Kansas City, he was arrested on a municipal charge of disorderly conduct after off-duty officers caught him just outside Unity Temple, where Fonda was signing books.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ms. Fonda is not a particularly popular individual among those who fought the war against communist aggression in South Vietnam. It really shouldn't come as a surprise that sooner or later a veteran would take some action, even if it was mostly symbolic. It says quite a lot about our nation that those who supported the most vicious and murderous regimes of all time can become revered cultural icons and even run for President.

Related News Links:
www.chron.com
www.azcentral.com
abcnews.go.com
www.1stcavmedic.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Dang, where i come from spitting in someones face is assault and battery!

I'm not saying she didnt deserve it. She disgusts me.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
While I think it was totally understandable that he felt like expressing his opinion in that way...
I also would understand if Janes chauffuer/bodyguard beat the ever lovin crap out of him.

I am sure he has done SOMETHING insanely stupid at some point in HIS lfe to deserve it.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Lazarus

*Reminder: be nice to Lazarus*

I agree.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I think if Fonda had chosen to press charges, which would have been a PR catastrophe, the charge would have been different. They probably charged him with the most severe charge they could under the circumstances.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
While I don't condone such behavior, I can't think of anyone more deserving of being spit upon than Jane Fonda.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Pies for Coulter and spit for Jane. its the latest craze.

What happened to respect? R-E-S-P-E-C-T?

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Pies for Coulter and spit for Jane. its the latest craze.

What happened to respect? R-E-S-P-E-C-T?

That question probably won't play well when asked in reference to Fonda.

My take on this - BAD MANNERS - GOOD AIM!

lol

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
My ex [who comes from a long line of vets] had a large,over-sized truck which bore a bumper sticker saying [Frag Hanoi Jane].
I used to wonder why we never got any flack for that, but put it up to."how crazy can these folks be?" and left us alone.

[edit on 20-4-2005 by siriuslyone]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
A five gallon bucket full would have been more appropriate.

That 'person' should have been forced to live the rest of her life in Vietnam with her friends.

And I would like to say sorry to all the other persons in the world for including her in the same species.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Get over it. Jane Fonda may have done some stupid things in her life including going to Hanoi but if we take our freedoms seriously then it has to include the right to be stupid and annoying. What is really sad is not what she did but the veterans (and I am a veteran) who instead of accepting the reality that they were screwed by their government into fighting an unneccessary war, feel the need to find some value in their suffering instead of just accepting it and resent anyone reminding them that they were screwed. Ultimately that was what so much of that swiftboat bull# was all about (that and Karl Rove), resenting the reminder. In the long run what both Fonda and Kerry (and that photo by the way was a fake, it was photoshoped and was shown to be so right after it was released) was to end an atrotricity and to bring our troops home. Regardless of how they went about it, their hearts were in the right place. Hell, we need somebody that vocal and in your face about it today. But no the wrong wing and the repuglicans have sold their souls to Bush....and he didn't give much for them and they didn't even get that.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Get over it.

Excuse me? You love what ever traitors you wish and don't tell me that I can't hate them.

In the long run what both Fonda and Kerry (and that photo by the way was a fake, it was photoshoped and was shown to be so right after it was released) was to end an atrotricity and to bring our troops home. Regardless of how they went about it, their hearts were in the right place. .

*knock, knock ,knock* Wake up dude! These traitors didn't bring our soldiers home. They called our soldiers WAR CRIMINALS! To me, spitting on the both of them, and everyone else that treated our Vietnam Vets dis-honorably, is the nicest thing anyone could do these homespun pacifists!

So, why don't you get OVER IT!

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
It says quite a lot about our nation that those who supported the most vicious and murderous regimes of all time can become revered cultural icons and even run for President.

Yes, and thankfully Michael Smith wasn't brandishing a pistol. Otherwise, he could have chambered a round to prove his point.

Nothing vicious about that.

[This is where I would typically want to insert a crack about Smith not liking Fonda's work out tapes. Or KLUTE]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Best wishes to Mr. Smith.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
She deserves it, I'm commend the dude that spit in her face. Job well done
. A lot more people deserve spit in their face though including politicians....oh well, most of them are rotting.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
You turn against your country, it follows you for life. Some people just don't get it.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I guess peeing on her was out of the question so spitting was the next best option. Kudo's to the guy.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
I guess peeing on her was out of the question so spitting was the next best option.\

Good idea.......I have a solution for whomever wishes to pee on her, pee in a bucket and then put the bucket on her head. HAHAHAHA, this should be a like a new form of fun for activist against stupid activist, we come up with new ways to degrade stupid activist...........Ok, who is gonna start the website dedicated to it?

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Grady said-
'not apparently popular' that is an understatment.

Even most anti-war people in those days were shocked beyond belief. Tobacco spit washes off.

She's a big girl, she'll get over it.

*edit to add:
Kuddos to Grover

Very well said.

[edit on 20-4-2005 by JoeDoaks]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
If you have ever studied anything about the Pentagon Papers one would know we were being lied to about Vietnam. I too was against the war, my hubby was there for a short time he joined just before the war ended, he was only 19 yrs old. We were married and had a child at that time. I believe you can hate the war and love the warrior. The thing is though that most of the protesters were protesting the war wanting the soldiers to return home but some not all let their dislike of the war turn against the soldiers, my hubby was attacked at an airport by a woman who attacked him screaming he was a baby killer and also attacked him physically beating him in the chest with her fists. So yes there were some crazy protesters but I believe for the most part that most sincerely cared for the soldiers and wanted the war over and the soldiers to return home. Who you should be angry is not the protesters but the supporters of the war who did not meet you and call you heroes, the supporters who did not follow through on the promises made to you about veteran benefits and care. The chickenhawks of today who run our government and got deferment after deferment to keep from going to Vietnam and are still cutting benefits. I agree Jane Fonda clearly went to extremes and stepped over the line but she has at least apoligized for what little that is worth; think of all the ones who has not and supported you going there and supported the war but made sure their children did not and made sure they did not go but sent you instead and many made money off of the war. These same ones continue to support a government that cuts benefits for veterans. I doubt that Hanoi Jane did little to you Vets but earn your disrespect, others however are much more guilty of crimes against you and have not even attempted to apoligize.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join