It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zombies - Fact or Fiction

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
People believe in a "Satan" but not that enough evil can be concentrated to animate a corpse... ok.

My brother (rip) said there is Eurasian folk superstition about the living as undead. Apparently, if you've been recesitated your considered to have been dead-and to them that means that a spirit could have taken you over and you should be killed or shunned. That a person becomes dead to the family. Anyone heard of this???

Any info on this superstition would be great. I'm not sure if it is russian or Jewish. We were associated to both when I heard of it in response to my medical treatment which involved a forced heart stop.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
There are many different types of zombies. Some are more 'real' than others.

There are the Haitian voodoo zombies that are 'killed' and 'brought back' all with the use of a neurotoxin found in the puffer fish. the toxin renders the victim almost dead and works on a level intricate enough to make all signs of life seem to stop. The person is buried and usually recovers from their coma in a few days if they have not suffocated. They 'awaken' with so much brain damage, all they can do is stumble around and perform mindless tasks. Actually, many of these 'zombies' are created by sugar plantation owners as a costless labor force or as a spiritual punishment.

There are the mythical zombies that are caused by solar flares or solar radiations or satan or magic or a curse or whatever. These are fictional. Once a brain is dead, it cannot come to life again. Period.

There are the 'infected' zombies that are 100% possible. There are many diseases transfered through saliva and biting and there are many diseases that are close to mimicking cinematic 'rage zombies' or the like. Rabies and mad cow diseases are very close to simulating a 28 Days Later like 'zombie'. Rabies for instance causes neural damage and manipulates the brain into acting out violently with the intent only to transmit the virus. Infected nocturnal animals are known to attack without provocation in broad daylight only to injure, kill or infect and move on. Rabies still have a little ways to go until it turns humans into mindless killing machines impervious to perceptions of pain, but its dang close as well are others. There are also millions of viruses that mutate and evolve and infinite chances that there are dormant or undiscovered viruses just waiting to run amok in our gray matter. Not to mention any chemical warfare could lead to developing a horrible virus as well.

There are small, microscopic robotically enhanced organisms called nanobots that have a future of medical applications. These nanobots are currently being designed to regenerate cell structures and continue the transmission of brainwaves and signals through the body as well as repair. They will operate under a self preservation program. Who knows what enough of these things will do to self preserve? Take over a dead brain and keep a body moving? Transmit themselves through bites like a virus?

In this world exists something called a horsehair worm. The sole purpose of this worm is to reproduce and feed its offspring. The offspring live in water but eat other insects that do not normally submerge themselves. What the parent horsehair worm does is creep into the body of crickets and grasshoppers, secrete a chemical into the brain and steer the bug like a bumper car from hell into the nearby water to die and feed.
Along these lines is a bacteria that breeds best inside cat intestines and has found a way to infect mice and make them suicidal. Scientists have tested this bacteria by infecting some mice and not infecting others. There is then cheese placed in a simple maze coated in feline scent. The non infected mice cower and do not move forward while the infected gather around the cheese not even concerned with eating it as nourishment.
These bacterias exist and could just as well evolve to pay with us.

I will gather some links and post them soon.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The human body lives technically for a few hours after death....your not alive but your body is still working based on what it knows....

its not outside of the realm of reality to really think that zombies are possible...

I just don't believe that they'd be eating our brains

probably crave food, sex, and money just like if they were living

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
That is a good point about the temporary 'life' after brain death. Even if the body remains 'alive', it would take something serious to move it from internally and you're right about the brain consumption. The only reason I could see it attacking is to infect, not eat.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I think that the government is going to end up engineering zombies. With a mix of medical and military technology they are going to end up making a tissue regenerating bacteria that can adapt to the human body! Yeah, I know what they're doing! Its going to happen.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by friendoftherevolution

Are zombies real? Well I made a post last week that might answer that very question. I will link you to the article in question.

Zombie Mouse Master Extends Lifespans

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wendellion

Its a bit hard for me to go through the post...
So my comment is just a reply to the oppening post,
and you will aknowledge why.

FICTION

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

what about the article I just posted that says the pentagon scientist Just made zombies out of mice...well sort of can you imagine what would happen if they weaponized that?

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Traditionally, zombies are created from dead tissue becoming live tissue. By mans own mistake aka creating a "cure for cancer" or what have you. Recently there has been a doctor in Honduras i think has "discovered" the cure for HIV. This could only mean that the cure for cancer could come in my lifetime. Now i dont personally believe that zombies exsist, but in 2012 wouldn't it be the lesser of the evils option for a zombie apocolypse because you actually could survive that?

Anyways if the cure for death is developed by anyone this could cause major concern. Naturally we know humans are bound to mistake. We probably try to find a cure for death or prolonge life everyday. These new developments in science could only worry us more.

Personally i would love to have a zombie apocolypse rather than the sun explode or a nuclear war because we could actually survive that with shottys and machine guns.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Maybe not "the living dead" but what about a virus like Resident Evil or in 28 Days Later. In 28 days it almost seems plausible. A virus that makes people go insane and attack without thinking rationally. Idk, the science isn't really there but who are we to dismiss zombie-like infections just because they seem too crazy.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I have always heard that some witch doctors turn people who wronged them into "zombies" by throwing this white powder on them. It puts them in a zombie-like state. They pretty much turn brain dead.

My dad told me about this while he lived in asia and the phillipines. I looked it up and surely enough it does happen.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I think I can speak for my people when I say, FACT!

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Do me a favor.

Let me give you this shot with a big T sticker on it! No not the G sticker the T sticker......

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I guess the idea that stem cell research is real and can very well affect this epidemic is if non-importance?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Just in case.

I think perhaps the most plausible would not be the virus or bacteria reanimating a corpse scenario. I may have played too much resident evil but las plagus seems to be a more realistic way of looking at it. Las Plagus is a parasite that eventually makes you loose control over your free will. You essentially become a high functioning zombie except you aren't dead just controlled by a parasite. We already see something like this in nature.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the horse hair worm. It takes over an insect and then makes them jump into water where the worm can emerge and continue the life cycle.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by afterschoolfun

There is already a disease that does that, it is called rabies. Rabies is some crazy crap my friend. If the government learned to weaponize that and make it faster acting, then I could definitely see a zombie-like apocalypse occurring.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Totally.. i dont think zombies are real

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I believe that Zombies arent real

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Rabies is like a REALLY bad diesease anyways, ''Is there a cure for rabies?''

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Zombies are real Damnit!!!!
No seriously I've always enjoyed the zombie movies and Videogames. (gotta check out the reamake of night of the living dead in 3D with Sid Haig , sitting on my sofa basking in 50 inches of 1080 plasma goodness you can't tell me zombies aren't real.!!!...lol)

The reason I train and prep for Zombie Outbreaks is this. If you can survive a Zombie outbreak you can survive ANYTHING!!! FLoods , drought , civil unrest, loss of electricity, home invasions...etc.

Besides when Romero wrote night of the living dead , the zombies were simply metaphors... In that context they're walking around you every day.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join