It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zombies - Fact or Fiction

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
From studying the vampire forum, it made me think of my friend who is convinced that zombies are real!

Zombies are persons who have ‘died’ but are not really dead, they are alive in a state of being, referred to as the undead. I cannot understand whythe West Indian Voodoo Practicers would want to mess with the dead, or 'undead', leave life alone, it's sick!

Why do they do it? Are they real? If they are, prove it...

I'm not convinced...

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Hello there,

you know, zombies are fiction.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Prove it then!

The practice by Voodoo's is real, so I'm starting to believe part of it!

I really want to learn more about it, and google's not helping!

I'd appreciate some links please, and more opinions...

...particularly those who think it's fact!

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Here's a link to another ATS thread on the subject.

There is a phenomenon involving "zombies" and Voodoo witchdoctors, but there is a rational explanation, involving poisoning and trickery. Check the thread out, I outlined it in a bit more detail there.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paul
Here's a link to another ATS thread on the subject.

There is a phenomenon involving "zombies" and Voodoo witchdoctors, but there is a rational explanation, involving poisoning and trickery. Check the thread out, I outlined it in a bit more detail there.

I am gonna have to agree with Paul here. There is no such thing as zombies or voodoo. Whoever beleives in that stuff, and i am sorry for being so blunt, should try and think a lot smarter. Think critically when it comes to ideas like this and you will see its nothing more than bull crap.

You say ur starting to beleive it???...Well wat exactly are you basing your belief on??...I am just curiuos.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Well basically...FACT!

I just like being a non-conformist really!

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Zora Neale hurston went to Haiti researching folklore and came across and actual live myth(okay maybe not too alive) You could say this is the first documented zombie in the western hemisphere.

Felicia Felix-Mentor was a native of Ennery. In 1907 she suddenly became ill and died and was buried. There were actual records of the event. Her husband and boy moved on with their lives. Her husband remarried and her boy grew into a man.
Then one day in October 1936 a naked woman was found in the road and reported to the Garde d’Haiti. The same woman surfaced again, this time on a farm and said,” This is the farm of my father. I use to live here.” The tenants living there were scared and chased her off the property. Finally they sent for the boss and he recognized her as his sister who had died and been buried twenty-nine years ago. They sent Felicia to the Hospital. Her husband was called to come and identify her but he refused to at first because he was into politics and didn’t want anything to do with this. He eventually was forced to come and see her, and made the identification of the woman as being his former wife.

Just how did this woman come to be alive after twenty-nine years? Nobody really knows and will probably not ever know. The secret could be with some Bocor who is either dead or alive. There is a theory that a missionary will convert a Bocor and he will give up all his paraphernalia to the church and will free his captives. The Zombies are unable to say anything-since they have lost the ability to speak so they are found wandering about. Or a Bocor could die and his widow will refuse their responsibility for various reasons. The Zombies are set free but these theories are not common

home.satx.rr.com...

here's a pic of her

While there are a few articles on the net about this. the link above the article was the one that had most on this woman , i don't know if she ever got *better*.
Though it's obvious that the woman went through some sort of extreme abuse , it's highly unlikely that she was Beaten to comply, I didn't see any mention of her having any scars on any of the articles I read. She would just cover her ears as if to block out things she didn't want to hear. Almost as if she was in some sort of permanent mental shock.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
There is an intersting study, thats also been fictionalized, so take that for what its worth, about zombies.

Apparently the 'zombie dust/potion' used in haiti contains a mish mash of stuff, and one of these things is poison from the puffer fish.
Now, firstly, the problem is that the concentrations of the poison has never been found to be high enough to have the affect alleged.

Anyway, the idea is that the poison, which can cause paralysis and even allow the mind to be 'awake' and do all sorts of things, is what causes the zombie effect, you get it, you are paralyzed, people, including doctors, think you are dead (heart rate, breathing, down to nil) you are buried, you see it all happening, trip out/whatever, wake up, claw your way back, voila, yer a zombie, possibly with brain damage.

One of the peopel who claimed in recent times to be a zombie said that he, and lots of others, were dug up and brought to work in plantations for illegal products or somesuch, but ended up 'escaping' when the operation was raided/destroyed.

However, puffer fish is consumed in Japan, and there are no tales of Zombies in japan, certainly not like in Haiti. When someone gets poisoned by the fish, everyone knows whats up.

So an important part of the idea is that Haiti has this mythos of zombies, and that religion is very powerful in haiti and in the minds of haitians. So when someone has been messed with by these witch doctors and goes thru the expereince, they figure that they are zombies, whereas a japanese citizen would know better.

Deny ignorance, don't become a zombie.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Zombies are everywhere. In offices, malls, schools, on the street and probably in your home. But especially offices.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
A British Columbia ethnobotanist named Wade Davis wrote a book on the subject called "The Serpent and the Rainbow".

It's a really great read- all about infiltrating secret Haitian societies and trying to track down zombie poison on behalf of a bunch of Harvard scientists.

www.webster.edu...

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
as always, the movie is even better. (j/k never read the book but the movie is great)

voodoo isnt real? thats a howl. you tryin to tell me that if you went to a voodoo doctor and they made you an herbal remedy for any ailment that modern medicine can cure, and the remedy cures it its still not real? i guess the emergency room down the street is imaginary too.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420
as always, the movie is even better. (j/k never read the book but the movie is great)

voodoo isnt real? thats a howl. you tryin to tell me that if you went to a voodoo doctor and they made you an herbal remedy for any ailment that modern medicine can cure, and the remedy cures it its still not real? i guess the emergency room down the street is imaginary too.

Well thats the whole thing with faith or superstition, There are alot of incredible things that can happen when you believe in something. Alot of incredible things can happen if you believe in Faith healers, Witch Doctors, Psychic healers or hypnotists. While i'm the kind of person that would prefer a real M.D. over some herbologist. I'm open to the idea that belief is a powerful thing that can affect a person psychologically and physically.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
ya ive heard of what nygdan was talking about, when this kind of thing happens even doctors dont usually realize/ cant tell that the person is still alive

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Well, Voodoo (Voudou, Voudon ect...) is a primarily a religion, not just "magic", so it has to be real in at least one sense. It's a blending of Spanish Catholic tradition and the veneration of saints with (generally Yoruba) African indigenous deities.

If you ever get the opportunity to go, visit the LaLaurie house in New Orleans, LA. Then tell me there's no such thing as Voodoo!

I believe in that kind of stuff though, and a major tenant of that sort of thing is that the victim (or subject) has to believe for the magic to work.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Yup i have heard of this zombie news in the paper, and is exactly what Nygdan had said.

It happened in philippines, whereby this people are drugged and claimed as dead. Then after they are buried, they are dugged out again and forced to work in the mine field.

The drug make them half-dead, cannot think properly and only obey any command passed to them. The reason behind this is because this so called zombies can work many hours a day and eat less. They are forced to work long hours and given less food. Something like cheap labours.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
People can actually be turned into zombies as i read but not zombies as you would think as, As walking round killing people eating brains etc...

The puffer fish blood (I think maybe someone who knows more about it can help) if used it can make you brainless and totally inactive

And as a matter of fact we are all zombies brain washed by the media etc etc

Hollywood as made the word zombie into a scary thing when it is just everyone really so people dont think of it as much

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marky
People can actually be turned into zombies as i read but not zombies as you would think as, As walking round killing people eating brains etc...

The puffer fish blood (I think maybe someone who knows more about it can help) if used it can make you brainless and totally inactive

And as a matter of fact we are all zombies brain washed by the media etc etc

Hollywood as made the word zombie into a scary thing when it is just everyone really so people dont think of it as much

Marky,
I thought you would find this enlightening if not amusing. How to make a Zombie It explains better the tetrodotoxin of the puffer fish. There is no such thing as zombies is you are going on the Hollywood romanticism of the word, but I do think that people can be brainwashed, poisoned, and made to seem as though they died through trickery. This is what Vodoun has done, give the ILLUSION of the walking dead.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Zombies are real. The only place I would even think of this would be any end of the world post

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
i've been reading the posts of people and most of them say vodoo is not real. that such beliefs are unfounded. but let me ask those people, what prof do you have that vodoo isn't real? have any of you actually practiced let alone, seen vodoo?

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
zombies are real, and so is frankenstein. and no they dont eat people...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join