It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Once a majority of the primaries have concluded can the front runner of the party change

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2024 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I'm not trying to be decietful or have any ill will towards the process. I just wanted to get that out of the way. I'm asking a question from my ignorance of the process.

I have a basic understanding of how primaries work. You win a state for your party and you get the delegates to vote for you in the electoral college. If you win the general election in the state you get those votes. But what happens if you can't make it to the election? Or if your party decides that you cannot win against the opponent?

How does that work? Do they have emergency primaries with the new candidates in the summer or fall before the election? Where would the new candidate come from?

posted on Mar, 6 2024 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MauiWaui

You do realize the primaries have nothing to do with the actual elections? They are ran by the parties only for the parties to help decide who the people want. The actual candidates are whoever the parties decide. The parties have rules they are supposed to follow. They made them up and really have no enforcement of these rules.

That being said, the party that doesn't run the winner of the primaries, for no very good reason, will lose the trust of the people and be likely shunned in that and the next elections.

The parties need to listen to the people or lose the people's support. It's a trust thing after all.

If let's say, there is a death between a primary and an actual election, the party can decide the replacement however they want.

posted on Mar, 6 2024 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

See, I'm ignorant. I was under the impression that if you win a primary in a state that means that state's delegates are saying they are going to cast their electoral votes for you.

What you're saying is, the primary is just a popularity contest to decide who would win in a general election. My question would be, how would it be decided who's popular if the popular candidate couldn't make it to the general election? The party would just choose someone at random?

posted on Mar, 6 2024 @ 09:46 PM
link   

The DNC and RNC, although political by nature, are actually private businesses.

At their Conventions they can choose whomever they would like to run in the General.

Usually they will pick what the election results say they should pick or they will become irrelevant.. they will lose voters.

A good example of how that actually works was the RNC convention between Ron Paul and Mitt Romney.

Ron Paul supporters took the time to learn the rules, implanted themselves within the electors of all states while following the rules of those states.

It took them 8 years to work out the kinks, it had a lot of grassroots support.

Coming into the RNC Convention, Ron Paul supporters had enough electors to make a second vote possible... the rules in some states were that you were bound on the first vote for the person who won the straw poll votes in that state but you were released to vote whomever you wanted to on the second vote.

Ron Paul was going to win.

What actually happened was that the RNC wanted Romney to win, so the first vote happened, it was inconclusive, the RNC stated that Romney won and to quote Romney as he left... "If there were any inconsistencies the RNC will work it out."

In doing that, Romney "Won" the primary but disenfranchised enough voters that he lost the General election.

I didn't track what happened to Bernie on the DNC side, but it was probably the same with him.

The two "parties" are actually just businesses that don't have any Constitutional or legal barriers as far as choosing a candidate to run in the General.

I know... TLDR.

But there you go.

edit on 100000003America/Chicago3pmWed, 06 Mar 2024 22:37:38 -060037 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2024 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

At their Conventions they can choose whomever they would like to run in the General.

Usually they will pick what the election results say they should pick or they will become irrelevant.. they will lose voters.

A good example of how that actually works was the RNC convention between Ron Paul and Mitt Romney.

Ron Paul supporters took the time to learn the rules, implanted themselves within the electors of all states while following the rules of those states.

Coming into the RNC Convention, Ron Paul supporters had enough electors to make a second vote possible... the rules in some states were that you were bound on the first vote for the person who won the straw poll votes in that state but you were released to vote whomever you wanted to on the second vote.

What actually happened was that the RNC wanted Romney to win, so the first vote happened, it was inconclusive, the RNC stated that Romney won and to quote Romney as he left... "If there were any inconsistencies the RNC will work it out."

In doing that, Romney "Won" the primary but disenfranchised enough voters that he lost the election.

I didn't track what happened to Bernie on the DNC side, but it was probably the same with him.

The two "parties" are actually just businesses that don't have any Constitutional or legal barriers as far as choosing a candidate to run in the General.

I know... TLDR.

But there you go.

That Madam , is Very Interesting . Oh , and the DNC did do that to Bernie at Least 2 Times .

posted on Mar, 6 2024 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Delegates for The Parties are not the same as Electoral College Delegates. Although some can be the same People.

And yes, the Party Delegates can switch candidates at the convention !! All possible. 😎

After the convention and a candidates are "Named", then candidates must get enough signatures on a petition, certified in court, and then on the actual Ballot.

Once on a printed ballot, people vote, even if a candidate becomes incapacitated or dies. If that candidate wins, then other laws and procedure begin, and laws and procedures are different from State to State. Semi complicated.

posted on Mar, 6 2024 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Thank you! So you confirmed my suspicion that if one of the two front runners right now didn't make it to the general election, the party would just choose someone.

It's an interesting thought process to think about whom the democrats and the republicans would pick, as a party, to replace the two front runners. They are both old. One might be a little sharper than the other one but they are still old.

Thanks again for spending your time educating me!

posted on Mar, 6 2024 @ 09:56 PM
link   

A Wild Guess.........

(D) Newsom
(R) Desantis

posted on Mar, 6 2024 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MauiWaui
a reply to: Lumenari

Thank you! So you confirmed my suspicion that if one of the two front runners right now didn't make it to the general election, the party would just choose someone.

It's an interesting thought process to think about whom the democrats and the republicans would pick, as a party, to replace the two front runners. They are both old. One might be a little sharper than the other one but they are still old.

Thanks again for spending your time educating me!

Yup. For example, if the Democrat delegates wanted to put the screws to Biden for example, they could nominate and vote-in somebody else even though Biden has the most Delegates to start with from primary voting and other Delegates. 😧

posted on Mar, 6 2024 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

A Wild Guess.........

(D) Newsom
(R) Desantis

Very Possible 😃

posted on Mar, 6 2024 @ 10:02 PM
link   

The parties do decide who the representatives that vote in the electorial collage are. It veries state by state and even how they are counted varies by state. Some states have all their electorial votes counted for the winner of that state. Other states decide them between the highest winner in the parties.

Until the electorial college vote is counted, nothing is official and each state runs their election according to their own rules.

The members voting in the electorial collage are just anyone in the party that has won the vote according to each states rules. They have sworn to vote for the candidate they represent.

The parties are not part of the government.

posted on Mar, 6 2024 @ 10:02 PM
link   

A Wild Guess.........

(D) Newsom
(R) Desantis

For the Democrats, yeah, it's going to be Newsom. For the Republicans, are you sure? Nikki Haley stayed in and actually got a few votes so if Lumenari's theory is correct, it should be her.

If the people had a choice it would be Vivek or Desantis but they dropped out so early nobody really knows their popularity.

I hope none of this happens, let's let the cards fall where they will with Biden and Trump. I just wanted to ask stupid questions so I'm less stupid in the future!

posted on Mar, 6 2024 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Delegates for The Parties are not the same as Electoral College Delegates. Although some can be the same People.

And yes, the Party Delegates can switch candidates at the convention !! All possible. 😎

After the convention and a candidates are "Named", then candidates must get enough signatures on a petition, certified in court, and then on the actual Ballot.

Once on a printed ballot, people vote, even if a candidate becomes incapacitated or dies. If that candidate wins, then other laws and procedure begin, and laws and procedures are different from State to State. Semi complicated.

I meant "Delegates" instead of "Electors" in my post.

Oof...

I'm getting old.

edit on 100000003America/Chicago3pmWed, 06 Mar 2024 22:25:56 -060025 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2024 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Why is this so confusing for a layman?

I equate this to finances, it's not hard once you know what's going on and you have a basic understanding of free software like Google sheets. It's not taught in school but a little bit of research you can learn these things on your own. With civics, I think they purposely make it confusing and educating yourself isn't available.

Trust me, before I asked ATS for your education, I Googled it many different ways and I didn't get any discernable information.

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: MauiWaui

Why is this so confusing for a layman?

I equate this to finances, it's not hard once you know what's going on and you have a basic understanding of free software like Google sheets. It's not taught in school but a little bit of research you can learn these things on your own. With civics, I think they purposely make it confusing and educating yourself isn't available.

Trust me, before I asked ATS for your education, I Googled it many different ways and I didn't get any discernable information.

It is confusing on purpose.

Most Americans think that the two major political parties have to follow rules.

So the election process is fair.

It is not that at all.

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

In doing that, Romney "Won" the primary but disenfranchised enough voters that he lost the election.

I know... TLDR.

But there you go.

Oh , and the DNC did do that to Bernie at Least 2 Times .

I was going to make that point, but you're on top of things already.

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Ask AI:
=detailed&q=if+a+leading+party+presidential+candidate+drops+out+for+unknown+reasons%2C+can+th e+party+select+a+replacement+candidate+for+the+general+election]Ask AI

Can a Party Select a Replacement Candidate for the General Election if a Presidential Candidate Drops Out Before the Convention?

In the United States, if a presidential candidate drops out for unknown reasons before the party convention, the process of selecting a replacement candidate can vary depending on the rules and regulations of each political party. Generally, political parties have their own internal rules and procedures for such situations.

Democratic Party: In the case of the Democratic Party, if a presidential candidate drops out before the party convention, the Democratic National Committee (DNC) has the authority to fill the vacancy. The DNC would typically convene to select a new nominee through a vote among party delegates. This process is outlined in the DNC’s rules and bylaws.

Republican Party: For the Republican Party, if a presidential candidate drops out before the convention, the Republican National Committee (RNC) would be responsible for determining how to proceed. Similar to the Democratic Party, the RNC would likely hold a meeting or take some form of action to select a replacement candidate.

Legal Considerations: It is important to note that there may be legal considerations and challenges involved in replacing a presidential candidate on the ballot, especially close to the general election. State laws vary regarding candidate substitution and ballot access requirements. Parties would need to navigate these legal complexities when selecting a replacement candidate.

Conclusion: In summary, while it is possible for a political party to select a replacement candidate for the general election if a presidential candidate drops out before the convention, the specific process and feasibility depend on party rules, legal considerations, and timing.

edit on 7-3-2024 by charlest2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 01:01 AM
link   

A Wild Guess.........

(D) Newsom
(R) Desantis

Newsom MIGHT become as popular as Nikki, but that's about it, for now anyway. He'll never get the Latino or black vote, I promise you. Which just lends credence to the reason all these illegals are pouring into the countries that would have populations most likely to resist. 🤔

Anything from my current state requires a mask and a penicillin shot. No one in their right mind wants to be here.

Do you really think people want California-ism to go national??? Gavin is smoking jazz cabbage with rest of them if he thinks he can run and legitimately win within ~8 months. Not likely.

His arrogant ass WILL debate and he will have said ass handed to him in front of millions. What possible platform could he have?? Everything here is falling apart while they double down on stupid!

I'm not seeing it unless there's outright election fraud, which is more than likely. Lest we forget practically nothing changed about the processes since 2020, so I'm sure improvements were made to "the apparatus" in the meantime.

edit on 7-3-2024 by VariedcodeSole because: eta

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Man I hear tihs question and see a lot of interest like this, This election season.

Guess what? No one cares either way, Whoever wins will be announced by CNN!

THAT is the american political process.

Unhappy? Don't forget to vote!!! Your selected candidate may win and then he will do everything you ever dreamed of, aslong as congress/irs/dhs agree with said program! iT'S BEAUTIFUL.. only reasn i don't commit felonies.

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Here we go, another reason Gavin could never win the presidency legitimately. You think he's going to put Americans first?? Lol sure he will:

California Moves To Expand Zero-Down, Interest-Free Home Loan Program To Illegal Immigrants

A controversial bill that would let illegal immigrants receive the same kind of homebuyer assistance as U.S. citizens has advanced in the California state legislature, drawing criticism from those who object to granting perks to people who break the law by entering the country illegally.
www.zerohedge.com...

He WILL rubber stamp this with absolute glee! Again, it would take some serious fraud for him to win.

ETA: Veterans can get $0 down OAC, but I've NEVER heard of interest free loans for vets. Perhaps if your a MOH recipient, I'm not sure.

So illegal criminals have it better than our own veterans!! Isn't that wonderful?

What a great president Gavin would be./s

edit on 7-3-2024 by VariedcodeSole because: eta

new topics

top topics

join