It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France makes abortion a constitutional right in historic vote

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Venkuish1

Good for France. A woman should have a right to decide about her pregnancy. Poland is hell in that regard. The abortion is nearly entirely banned. Sure, there are few exceptions, like rape or woman's life in danger, but this is only theory. In practice, doctors are afraid to terminate pregnancies for fear of imprisonment. So there were a few cases when women died because doctors were too scared or simply didn't want to terminate too risky pregnancies. Dark medieval times at their finest. Perhaps, it can change with the new more liberal government.

Now immigrants breeding like rabbits isn't a valid reason to deprive women of their freedom to decide about their lives. It's more a call to implement a stricter immigration policy.
edit on 5-3-2024 by twistedpuppy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
You have men foaming at the mouth over making sure women have the right to kill babies. Good for them.

At the same time, it's always men who are the loudest voices against abortion.

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 07:20 AM
link   

As a pro abortion women I applaud France ruling is about time they give women the right to their body, no to dirty and stupid politicians.

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Most votes end up being rather close. Meaning, a certain population wants control over their ability to goven their own reproductive systems.

You see it from the angle of its just killing babies. Most women see it as an act of having self autonomy. I'm not a woman, and I also don't want to control other people, so I tend to lean towards pro choice, most people I speak too about this subject tend to lean in that direction as well.

As for the sway in public opinion, I'm not sure that has much to do with it. There's not many pro choice campaigns swaying public opinion. I see tons of pro life campaigns tho.

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Euronymous2625

You have men foaming at the mouth over making sure women have the right to kill babies. Good for them.

I am always reminded of this

Gloria Steinem: 'If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament'

And the judgements most definitely should be left to God, if one believes in a higher power, not to anybody here on ATS. We see some ATS members' moral judgements are skewed depending on the topics.

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: twistedpuppy

Good for France. A woman should have a right to decide about her pregnancy. Poland is hell in that regard. The abortion is nearly entirely banned. Sure, there are few exceptions, like rape or woman's life in danger, but this is only theory. In practice, doctors are afraid to terminate pregnancies for fear of imprisonment. So there were a few cases when women died because doctors were too scared or simply didn't want to terminate too risky pregnancies. Dark medieval times at their finest. Perhaps, it can change with the new more liberal government.

Now immigrants breeding like rabbits isn't a valid reason to deprive women of their freedom to decide about their lives. It's more a call to implement a stricter immigration policy.

In Europe abortion it's a given in the vast majority of countries. I have been reading earlier about Poland and Northern Ireland but it looks like these are very few European Countries that make it difficult for women to have an abortion. Even in Northern Ireland the law has changed and they are now allowed under given circumstances

www.nidirect.gov.uk...

Abortion services in Northern Ireland

The type of abortion service available will depend on how many weeks pregnant you are.

Early abortion services for pregnancies less than 12 weeks are fully established.

Medical abortion is available for pregnancies up to 24 weeks (and over 24 weeks in limited circumstances).

Surgical abortion is available for up to 20 weeks and work is ongoing to establish a service for pregnancies up to 24 weeks.

For abortion services that are not yet available in Northern Ireland, you can access free abortion care in Great Britain.

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Someone said men can get pregnant and linked it to abortion to make some argument. Let's be real, men can't get pregnant and abortion, no matter how controversial, it is a right in most European Countries and many of the US States.

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

As a pro abortion women I applaud France ruling is about time they give women the right to their body, no to dirty and stupid politicians.

My thought is that abortion should be decided through a vote (just like in referendums). There has been a lot of support in France for the move with around 85% of the public approving the move.

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Euronymous2625

Interesting opinion.
How did you come to that conclusion?

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Mais je ne devrais probablement pas écrire ce post en anglais et dire que je suis Canadien, donc ils ne me traiteront pas comme une merde pour les avoir soutenus.
edit on 5-3-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

Hey Google: French to English translator

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

It would lose its social commentary value to translate that for everyone.

They really do hate Americans though.

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33
a reply to: quintessentone

It would lose its social commentary value to translate that for everyone.

They really do hate Americans though.

Probably only the Americans they met...one bad apple and all that.

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Venkuish1

originally posted by: andy06shake

Good for France and good for woman rights.

The contrast between France and Texas.

In France abortion is a constitutional right and in Texas abortions are banned with the threat of jailing any physicians who may assist in an abortion or even jailing the pregnant women who may seek an abortion.

That's the beauty of state's rights. If you don't like it, leave. If you can't afford to leave, don't get pregnant. I know that's a tough one for today's generation, but with a little responsibility it can be achieved.

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Indeed.

My two cents, a woman's body is her own concern.

And to think otherwise is rather arrogant in the extreme.

Jailing physicians/doctors who may assist in an abortion will only drive them underground leading to unsafe backroom terminations carried out by people who are less than medical health-trained professionals.

Is it not also arrogant to the extreme to think you can play God and kill an unborn child?

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 09:11 AM
link   

When you impose a law that is dependent on other people, it is not a right but a form of obligation, or slavery at the whim of the state.

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Indeed.

Jailing physicians/doctors who may assist in an abortion will only drive them underground leading to unsafe backroom terminations carried out by people who are less than medical health-trained professionals.

To be fair many of the US States have laws that are similar to the laws regarding abortion in Europe. But the problem is a good number of them have made it almost impossible for women to have an abortion and this will lead to the problems you mentioned. At least traveling to other States is still allowed (!) for the purpose of abortion.

How is that a problem? The people of each state voted for or against abortion as it should be. In France they voted for it and put it into law.

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Vermilion

Interesting
How did you come to that conclusion?

If I had to guess at the answer to that question.

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33

Mais je ne devrais probablement pas écrire ce post en anglais et dire que je suis Canadien, donc ils ne me traiteront pas comme une merde pour les avoir soutenus.

In Canada (you probably know better)

Canada is the only country in the world where abortion is free of legal restrictions and designated as a medical service.

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Indeed.

To be fair many of the US States have laws that are similar to the laws regarding abortion in Europe. But the problem is a good number of them have made it almost impossible for women to have an abortion and this will lead to the problems you mentioned. At least traveling to other States is still allowed (!) for the purpose of abortion.

How is that a problem? The people of each state voted for or against abortion as it should be. In France they voted for it and put it into law.

I am for voting like I said earlier but voting doesn't always take place. In France there has been an overwhelming support around 85% of the public in favour of the move.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join