It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama court rules frozen embryos are children, chilling IVF advocates

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: bastion

(freedom from religion/right to life, liberty and happiness)

I'd be willing to pony up 100 bucks if you can show me where it says freedom from religion in the constitution.

I'm from the UK and thought it banned any laws mandating/estabishing a religion but seems that clause only applies to congress rather than states.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Many religions don't believe that life starts at conception. For example, Judaism doesn't believe that life begins until the first breath is taken. This ruling potentially denies Jewish people access to a medical procedure based on religious beliefs they do not hold.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Threadbarer

Too many times here on ATS, people like yourself have illustrated how wrong aspects of religious beliefs are.

They are free to believe what they want, but belief does not supersede science.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Threadbarer

The Establishment Clause is a limitation placed upon the United States Congress preventing it from passing legislation establishing an official religion, and by interpretation making it illegal for the government to promote theocracy or promote a specific religion with taxes.

Important part is that it limits congress.

a judge is not part of congress, the fact he used religion instead of just legal precedent in the decision guarantees it will be overturned.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 09:57 AM
link   

It says congress cannot establish a state religion the judicial branch can only rule on the legality of something this judge made certain he would be overturned by bringing religious text into it.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:01 AM
link   

So you're saying Jewish religious beliefs are wrong and that state should be free to tell them as such? That seems a tad anti-Semitic to me.

By the way, embryos at this stage do not meet the biological definition of life.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbarer

So you're saying Jewish religious beliefs are wrong and that state should be free to tell them as such? That seems a tad anti-Semitic to me.

By the way, embryos at this stage do not meet the biological definition of life.

*sigh*

Human embryos are, human. They are just at a different developmental stage that you or I.

As for state determining religion? Any religion that uses human sacrifices would be banned, n'est-ce pas?

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Human embryos are, human. They are just at a different developmental stage that you or I.

That's a pretty powerful argument.

Haven't heard it put exactly like that yet.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

It says congress cannot establish a state religion the judicial branch can only rule on the legality of something this judge made certain he would be overturned by bringing religious text into it.

Thanks for the info, that does make a bit more sense.

So if/when it is overturned will the couple still get their compensation (well deserved in this case) but prevent a precedent from being set that would mandate/establish a state religion/ban any risky medical procedure?

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

That's a pretty powerful argument.

Haven't heard it put exactly like that yet.

Infants are at a different developmental stage, teenagers are at a different developmental stage.

We go through developmental stages where our very physical structure changes, our endocrine system molds and shapes us all throughout our lives.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:10 AM
link   

At this stage they are blastocysts. A mass of undefined cells.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:11 AM
link   

My guess is it will be kicked back down saying drop the religious stuff and just rule on the agreement.

My wildly uniformed ignorant guess would be that yes eventually they will get compensation, but who knows how long and how much lawyers will take of it before that happens.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:12 AM
link   

At this stage they are blastocysts. A mass of undefined cells.

You, typing on your computer, are a mass of cells.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:15 AM
link   

That part I assume was implied.

I was thinking in terms of disabilities and a slippery slope.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:24 AM
link   

As I said, a blastocyst does not meet the scientific definition of life. It seems to me you're simply trying to establish your religious beliefs as being right but you're trying to hide that fact by hiding behind science, except your science is bad.

Why do you believe this judge has the right to rule which religious beliefs are right and which are wrong?

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Dandandat3

2025 is going to be fun. Just one of the many coming type of laws to go from the state to the national level, I fear.

If the GOP goes the first year without going super-vengeful with religious influenced legislation, I'll covert to Islam and wear a rape scarf.

In the America that will be Alabama's Wrongful Death of a Minor Act will be acceptable state's rights and California's SCA 10 will get sacrificed to zygote-affirming sanctimony.

That's how it appears, anyway.
edit on 20-2-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:29 AM
link   

By the way, sure they do.
They aren't not just a lifeless lump.
They are humans in the process of developing and being born.
Did you know the human heart starts beating 16 days after conception?
When Does Our Heart First Start To Beat
Abortion stops a human heart from beating. It's homicide.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:31 AM
link   

As I said, a blastocyst does not meet the scientific definition of life. It seems to me you're simply trying to establish your religious beliefs as being right but you're trying to hide that fact by hiding behind science, except your science is bad.

Why do you believe this judge has the right to rule which religious beliefs are right and which are wrong?

I honestly think the judge should have ruled based on science.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
This ruling make IVF unsafe, even life threatening in Alabama. If this law holds up to appeal, doctors won't be doing any IVF work in Alabama.

Good. IVF is carnage.
For every live baby born, two or three of his or her siblings had to die in the IVF process.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Did you know that embryos for IVF are frozen at day 5 or 6?

Here are the qualifications for life: Cellular organization, the ability to reproduce, growth & development, energy use, homeostasis, response to their environment, and the ability to adapt.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join