It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars UFO Found? (from ATSNN)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
www.astrobio.net...

One source of Sir Arthur Clarke's view on terraforming Mars..
Cannot find anywhere the pictures that were posted of it's being done already. after a puter crash, lost mine..anybody have these images or a link?

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by cownosecat

I see a skull... anyone else?

I see the skull as well. I'll see if I can isolate the image and post it.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I sure hope this works......

Here is the face in the pic.....

Wupy

It is MUCH clearer when you find it on the actual pic.....

[edit on 16-4-2005 by mrwupy]

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Based on the resolution of the camera on the Mars orbiter (.5 Meters per pixel) that group of rocks is 100 meters long and about 60 meters wide. That's a huge mining vehicle.

It's simply your mind playing tricks on you, you mind sees a shape and tries to associate something familiar with it. Like when people see Jesus in the stains on their shower curtain.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeanutButterJellyTime
Based on the resolution of the camera on the Mars orbiter (.5 Meters per pixel) that group of rocks is 100 meters long and about 60 meters wide. That's a huge mining vehicle.

This is always the first thing I ask, how big is it. Whenever someone finds something in a photo, they should include a reference of size.

Originally posted by PeanutButterJellyTime
It's simply your mind playing tricks on you, you mind sees a shape and tries to associate something familiar with it. Like when people see Jesus in the stains on their shower curtain.

Or a grilled cheese sandwich.

Sorry, but no matter how you alter it's appearance, it still looks like rock to me. Now if there were other "things" nearby, that might justify a theory.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Actually, the images have been enlarged 300% and if it is a vehicle, it would only be around 14 x 17 meters (45 x 55 feet) which is comparable to heavy mining equipment on earth.

Thanks for the comments guys!
Help us work this thing out so we can either de-bunk it or figure out what to do about it.

edit/ add pic.

[edit on 4/17/2005 by mythatsabigprobe]

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
It looks to me more like somthing had crashed there. Mining equipmenrt I think not.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Maybe that's because you're comparing it to how 'our' machines look? This thing looks like a sportscar compared to our big square boxes, but it looks like it would function just the same way.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
"One small step for man, but one big step for Coca-Cola."

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   

This is a photo from the orbiter of the opportunity rover. I posted it because it has a scale bar in the bottom right corner that shows the scale of the photos this camera takes.

I used photoshop to drag a selection box around the scale in that photo and pasted it twice into the photo of the strange object, so we could get a sense of scale:

I was wrong about the 100M size. It looks to me like it's roughly 2/3 the size of the scale, say 65M?

After looking closely at the object in question I'm fairly certain we're seeing a rock formation on the north side of that crater, assuming north is up in the photo. The object does look strange at first and I think it's cool you were able to find it, but I don't see anything that makes me think it's anything other than a rock.

Try doing this

go to www.msss.com.... This is the Mars Orbiter Camera Public Target Request Site. The website says: If you would like to recommend a picture of Mars, this is the place. Use the form on the page to request that additional surveys be done of that site due to "interesting terrain anomolies" or some other valid-sounding reason. It would be interesting to see if they follow up on your request. You might get your request denied, but receive an explanation of the object in the picture. It's worth a shot.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I still think it looks like a skull that is on it's side. When you add those filters too it it becomes much more clear. You can see the mouth... the eyebrows.

I think this is just a regular old rock formation type thing, and not mining equipment or anything technological, but it does look like a skull IMO.

[edit on 17-4-2005 by cownosecat]

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
As far as the picture this thread was originally about, I think the streak is a flare caused by sunlight reflecting off the solar panels of the Mars Orbiter as it flies by. Here is a sight about Iridium Flares. These are when the Iridium communication satellites reflect sunlight back to earth.

I just took a picture of an Iridium flare about 40 minutes ago and it is nearly identical to the photo in this thread. It's a long streak. If anyone's interested I'll post it.

You can find mre about Iridium flares, including dates, times, and locations of when to see them for your zip code at www.heavens-above.com.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
PBJT:
Good theory!
Here is an iridium flare.
Took it myself as well.
the heavens above website is great for pinpointing those..Tells you just when to snap the photo, and where to aim the camera.

Nasa is pretty good at calculating orbits, LOL . Maybe they intentionally snapped this photo?! I think they may have done just that..

Now for the other photo, with the "mining equipment"
Look at the other craters in the original image.
The dunes inside are oriented almost prependicular to the dunes in the flats. I think the crater in question, contains some boulders, and the sand is
flowing around them, making them appear misshapen..Mishapen dunes, thats my theory..!

[edit on 17-4-2005 by spacedoubt]

loq

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
even if it was a machine, how come it is out there by itself?
dunt you think there would be some sort of a small camp out or rest zone area close by?

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
That thing is not natural, that's for sure! To me, it looks like an image taken straight from a sci-fi flick... a crashed spacecraft! How cool would it be!

While I respect the efforts of some posters here to be skeptic about it (as I am also aprt of the people who are trying to get this site rid of unsubtanciated UFO theories here on the site), you people should open their eyes to what they see. Here we have an irregular shape that litterally comes out of a hole that does'nt have the form of a crater at all. Craters are used to have a round or oval shape, due to the strenght of the impact, that is much wider than it is deeper. Here, the Photoshop analysis made by ATS members obviously suggest a hole that is deeper than it is wider and also there is no sign of the shockwave "blueprint" that is left in the ground after a meteorite impact. Now I really don't know what that thing is, but it's not because we can't know that it HAS to be a meteorite.

I'm beginning to understand what's the approach of NASA into the field of exploration... it's about exploring with the idea that there is nothing out there, instead tahn the will to discover something. This is the wrong approach and someday they will loose everything -credibility, power and money- because of that....

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Looks like a crashed sattelite to me.

I doubt it's too much else other than that though.

Or, maybe it's a time capsule buried millions of years ago by the slime surfing cow people of Mars in hopes some day someone would find it and we would all learn not to eat meat.

Just kidding. Crashed satelite...

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

Well I dont know what it is, but it certainly looks... designed. For example, is it just me that see two identical "wings" on the back of that thing?

Looks like a crashed sattelite to me.

I doubt it's too much else other than that though.

Keep in mind that most satellite images arent very high res, meaning that thing is FAR bigger than any satellite we have sent up.

[edit on 18-4-2005 by merka]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
too bad we can't hijack a rover to get some closer shots.
it definately looks like something designed to me aka not natural.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Hmmm...definitely looks man? made...and definitely crashed.

Has anyone got any good contacts who may be able to provide other info?

Cheers

JS

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for the great comments. It's good to look at this from as many different points of view as possible.

Terapin

OK ... for the sake of the discussion, lets for a moment assume that it is indeed mining equipment as you propose and examine the possibility closer.

Have you ever seen an Earth based mine? They leave a HUGE amount of tailings or debris near the opening. The few rocks you show at quite a distance from the 'machine' are not the type of tailings you get from mining. Where is all the support equipment to carry away and process the raw ore? How did such a large piece of machinery get there in the first place? I see no evidence of it driving there nor of it landing there. There is no evidence of it being built on site either. Given the location, it would be far more practical, from an engineering perspective, to dig from the side of the hill than to start trapped within the crater. That would allow better access and more room for tailings and support equipment.

Yes, I've seen an Earth based mine. I worked for Alcoa for 14 years and for 8 years before that I worked for CRA. I'm not a mining expert but I've been around mines and mining equipment most of my working life. You make some good points about the lack of tailings and support equipment, but I can't assume that they didn't exist just because they aren't there in this photo. If this is a machine designed by an advanced society, we may as well throw out all our concepts about practical mining methods. It's possible the thing flew in there, began digging directly down from the top of the mountain, and aerial support vehicles ferried the ore back to a base refinery.

There seems to be little logic in your premise that it is mining equipment. The ESA has been extensively photographing and mapping Mars along with NASA and there thus far is no other supporting evidence of any other such operation going on on the surface of Mars.

Yes, Mars is well mapped and I'm not suggesting that there's any current activity there. However, the majority of survey photos are at low resolution and there are some anomalous structures that 'might' indicate a very old civilization and this 'could' be a relic from that time. www.enterprisemission.com...
Buildings may crumble and be buried under dust in a few thousand years, but a machine designed to withstand high stress and impacts might still be sitting on a mountain top in perfect condition.

Only a few areas have been examined at high (0.5m per pixel) resolution and this particular film strip is just a random? sample surrounded by thousands of square miles that have only been mapped at low res. ESA hasn't released any photo's of this location (although they have great views of a nearby area)

Could it not be that, due to erosion, the crater wall collapsed at that point filling it with large rocks and cliff fall? That would be a far more logical assumption to make and the evidence would seem to point to a natural geological occurrence.

I wish it was that easy to explain, but whatever this thing is it's metalic, reflective, smoothly contoured and has symetrical design features. Whatever it is, it's not just a pile of rocks.

Remember, that the Mars Observer Satellite also takes photos in other spectrums such as infra red and uses magnetic imaging as well with the newly deployed equipment. If this was something out of the ordinary there would be a lot of data to back it up.

Yes, I've looked at all the available images from the different missions and instruments. Infrared, laser altimetry, TES, VIS, etc. Unfortunately, only the visible light photography has sufficient resolution to show any details of this area.
----------

Peanutbutterjellytime
Thanks for that link, I think I will submit a request and see what happens! Only problem with your scale is that you took it from a reduced photo - see the mars msss.com site for the original and you'll see what I mean, at the true resolution it's only about 15 meters across.

ElectricCrow
Good thought, it could be something that crashed there - although the 'crater' doesn't look like it was made by an impact and it doesn't look like anything 'we' might have sent into space.

Echtelion
I'm with you, this thing is not natural and totally out of place. The more skeptical we can be the better, but it's very hard to ignore what it looks like.

Merka
The 'wings' could be chutes that direct the ore behind the machine - that's how we do it on earth using conveyors to control the feed into trucks. One is elevated and that could be to blow the overburden and boulders away until they get deeper into the ore.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join