It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Pipe Dream

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: StudioNada

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 11:43 AM
link   

edit on 1 16 2024 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Mantiss2021

Solid state batteries would be way too expensive. For normal people to actually be able to afford the cars. Maybe when a car note is more like a small mortgage spread out over 30 years instead of 5 that would be feasible.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
If we ever get to 50% EV ownership in the US, ....

we would then witness a true miracle on Earth.

Please get real. You can't even sort out your homeless, political, economic, ecological, social or immigration problems and you are thinking without realistic perspective.

Will your country be providing free EVs at the taxpayers cost to all those sponging immigrants to make the numbers up to 50%?

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Give evidence for me to dispute.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna

So like a few years?
Do you not read up on current battery technologies?

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: Allaroundya4k

I'm pretty sure there is no way to know the cause of most vehicle fires as the majority of vehicles are not owned by people that live in a country that has the resources to accurately report let alone respond and investigate the cause.
Your turn

I'll take: "Pulling Excuses Out Of My Ass" for $500 Alex.

How is not having adequate date pulling an excuse out of my ass?
I think you meant to say is that you have nothing but want to put some comment out for some self fulfillment.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: KrustyKrab

I'm not going to entertain a mind that is dead set on believing what you are told to believe.
Get with the program or don't, that is your call. But either way EV vehicles WILL be a thing here very shortly.
If it didn't seem like a viable future then why are so many companies switching?
If the US can get to where we are far more less dependent on petrol do you realize the kind of power that would give us geopolitics wise?
Let that sink in and then maybe the bigger picture will become clearer.
Or just keep parading around what the lobbyists are hoping for to fill their pockets.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundya4k

"Not having adequate data" translation:

"I have no idea if data exists for my position so I'll say something vague and condescending"

"Pretty sure"
LOL

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Are you saying that it can't be done?
The military can do it and does do it. It's called have a spare battery.....kinda the whole idea here......DERP
Do you think EV owners are not aware of this si.ple roadside issue?
For real dude???

Your attitude needs to be checked just a tad. Coming off as if you are in the "know" when you are doing what you claim supporters of ICE's are doing, parroting talking points. There have been many people out there discussing how we need to upgrade our electric grid and it seems that the EV push is proving them correct. If you are having to do rolling blackouts to conserve the grid maybe, just maybe the push for EV's is a bad idea. I don't know about you but I don't drive as much as I am in one place for prolonged periods of time. Maybe charging ev's is a luxury that cannot be afforded at this point in time.
Oh and you proved your ignorance about the spare battery, derp derp derp. Most folks can barely afford an ev and you claim having an extra of the most expensive aspect of them is practical? And you forgot that extra weight is gonna also affect driving range, it's been stated those batteries are heavy in this thread. So stop parroting the nonsense that people with vested interests in the industry are saying. How many of our elected leaders stand to benefit? We all know at least Pelosi will with her stock portfolio.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I found a video that pretty much sums up all the current EV problems. Have a look.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 02:57 PM
link   

nope, I already did but you are too damn smart to realize it.
Go find someone else to play with.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I did also but you can’t provide the goods. I’m still waiting for that abundance of proof you say you have but for whatever reason can’t provide. All you got is what you think to be witty “gotcha” talking points, deflection and buzzwords. I kind of feel embarrassed for you because you’re actually looking pretty silly. Like someone has already mentioned you’re doing exactly what you’re trying to say others are doing. Anyways not going to beat the horse, it is what it is, considering the source.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
I find this extremely comical.
The fools that think electric vehicles will ever take over for internal combustion vehicles, here is why it will never, ever happen.

Cold kills batteries, even small batteries that are in gas vehicles.
When the battery is 20 times the size, it’s even worse.

Chicago-area Tesla charging stations lined with dead cars in freezing cold: 'A bunch of dead robots out here'

www.foxbusiness.com...

It's called entropy.

Petrol based vehicles suffer from the same issues, only worse in some cases.

Nothing is ideal.

edit on 2024-01-16T15:21:43-06:0003Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:21:43 -060001pm00000031 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: glen200376
The batteries can also be volatile.

Yeah, maybe a little!

That's a gas explosion.

edit on 2024-01-16T15:33:08-06:0003Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:33:08 -060001pm00000031 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Yeah, maybe a little!

That's a gas explosion.

were you there, or do you have some other information on it?

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3
I found a video that pretty much sums up all the current EV problems. Have a look.

Yep, that does pretty much sum it up. I’ve known two people that have sold their EVs right after they got them. One guy did one trip with his truck and put it up for sale when he got back from the trip, at a considerable loss I might add. Said it was a absolute nightmare in every way imaginable, towing, lost time, no convenience whatsoever, charging issues, etc…. The other guy was just sick of the constant inconvenience and time consumption of the charging headaches. Neither one of them were happy at all with their new found technology. Have another friend in CA that’s leasing one, who was told he shouldn’t be charging it during certain times, this was months ago, I mean seriously? No way in hell CA is going to have a infrastructure to handle their forthcoming EV mandates, no way, it’s a pipe dream that only easily fooled, manipulated and brainwashed people believe.

The tech is pretty much dead before it’s got started. Another thing is that the government has plans to tax the # out of electric in the future. Don’t think for a second that they’re going to let the tax revenue from fuel go away. We still have roads and highways to maintain, it has to come from somewhere. With the weight increases of EV’s,….newsflash, road maintenance and parking structure cost will increase exponentially. Not to mention the charging infrastructure needed. All which will be passed onto the consumer.

The whole EV BS is a scam like most of the rest of the green new deal crap they’re trying to push. The investors and politicians keep getting richer while they suck all the money they can from the consumers, us, the little guys. Whenever the government tells us it’s the next greatest thing since sliced bread, you might as well grab your ankles right then and there because you’re about to get screwed hard.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 04:56 PM
link   

a reply to: RazorV66

Big man not gonna come in and defend her big ol thread?
Or did you realize that feelings don't always drive good talking points and can be absent of critical thought?
Asking for a friend and all.

Started a new job today Greta, just got home.
Bidenomics is eating up my savings and 401Ks, thanks for that.

But keep defending garbage, even if you are not really very good at it.
edit on 16-1-2024 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: KrustyKrab

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3

With the weight increases of EV’s,….newsflash, road maintenance and parking structure cost will increase exponentially.

It's not just the weight = battery fires are a serious threat to a building's structural integrity -

Since lithium-ion fires are a chemical reaction they can only be cooled not extinguished. They end up burning for several days in some cases. In that case, damage to the parking structure would be extensive. So for this parking structure, it has chosen to ban all electrified vehicles. That includes hybrids, PHEV, and EVs, whether they contain lithium-ion or nickel-metal hydride batteries.

Fire Danger: Underground Parking Lot Bans Electric Vehicles

Like you said, an all-electric future is

a pipe dream that only easily fooled, manipulated and brainwashed people believe.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: chr0naut

Yeah, maybe a little!

That's a gas explosion.

were you there, or do you have some other information on it?

A battery explosion is caused by an internal short within the battery, causing it to superheat its contents which build up pressure and eventually burn through its casing, allowing oxygen in and causing long lasting fires which are hard to extinguish by normal means. The result of a battery explosion is significantly a metal fire.

A gas-air explosion is very fast and the heated gas expands and rises quickly, rarely leaving anything burning (as we see in this video).

Do a web search of CNG explosion videos and compare them to a few EV fire video's.

Also, don't be so gullible and assume that what you see on social media posts are correctly captioned, especially where they are posted anonymously and provide no details of the video content.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join