It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Middle America Please Stand Up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I think that it is safe to say that the majority of America is driving in the center lane of politics. But, if you watch the news, you wouldn't know it. You see endless examples of left to right extremism in everyday politics. The only views that get shouted from the roof tops are those who are on the very far side of the spectrum. But, those who can accept parts of both side are left with little to choose from. Hot or cold, black or white....

Middle America is not getting their voices heard. Reasonable people who don't want to be labled on one side or another (and no, I'm not saying that the only alternative is Libertarian either), who have taken viewpoints from the left and the right and have weeded out the garbage are not being represented. But how do we fix this? How do we get our voices heard?

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I think part of the reason is that extremism is news.
How many media outlets will report "boring", middl-of--the-road news? That won't get them good market share, and thus good ad ratings = more $$$.

I also think congress is a follow the crowd group.
I really don't know how to get the message out, except to hope that thrid-party candidates get a better following and get elected.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The middle isn't so centered, is the issue I think. The bulk of the public is somewhat right leaning, as evidenced by the presidential, senatorial, congressional, and even gubernatorial elections no?

Tho I think that the democrats didn't take as much of a whacking within the states as at the federal level.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Yeah, but I think the regular people are far less democrates or republicans in their outlook.
Even tho I vote republican, usually, I really have little in common with the republican platform. I often agree with the democrats.
VERY few people in congress really speak for the majority of their constituents. I think they mostly represent special interests, people with $$$, people who are vocal.

Again, we have the Silent Majority. They just have no one to vote for

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Well, also, keep in mind, only congressmen can even being to 'accurately' reflect the bulk of their constituents, there's too many peopel for a senator to represent!

Also, consider that, originally, the Senator was appointed by the Governor of a state, so that the Senator represented the State, and the congressmen represented the People, in a sense. Of course its different now tho. But it just goes to show that there's more to it than direct democracy, there are various types of interests that need to be represented too.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Middle-Class America is too busy staving off the constant beatings of being the most heavily taxed and least Federally supported group in the U.S.. Middle America--as in the Heartland-- has spoken, loud and clear, last November. Democrats are now scrambling for moral capital as we speak. As for Middle-Class America, I think it's time we lifted our noses from the grindstone, organized, and speak loud and clear with the only voice Washington seems to hear: our money.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
"Thank you, thank you. You may be seated again."

"Here, let me put Fox on for you. Have a Bud and relax."

Excellent speech, George.

I have never perceived"middle America" and "middle class America" as the same thing, but then again...

www.professorbainbridge.com...

Guess who "breaks for Bush"?

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
It's mainly the media's fault for all the extremism. What makes the news? Someone who can go either way, or the people who stage (sometimes violent) protests over one issue? Definitely the latter. It's what people want to see and want to hear about. Until that changes, the news won't change what it shows.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
I have never perceived"middle America" and "middle class America" as the same thing, but then again...

I completely agree
....and middle class America is not the group I was refering to with this topic. I'm talking to the America who is able to pull from both extremes with a level head and avoid being drawn into the hype on FOX or ABC or whatever leftist, rightist media outlet is out there.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I believe one of are problems is that we donot have much of a choice. It is either dem. or rep. these days or nothing. Our country needs another strong party thrown into the mix that can stand up against all others. Of course this is wishing for alot, but this is one problem that is strangling middle america.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
www.independentnation.org...

We have a majority already of sane centrist people.

We don't need more parties (in fact I could deal with one less right now).

We just need less fake news, less fake issues, and less fanatics.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
www.independentnation.org...

We have a majority already of sane centrist people.

We don't need more parties (in fact I could deal with one less right now).

We just need less fake news, less fake issues, and less fanatics.

If common sense could only prevail over the current political mandates of both parties, the future would seem alot brighter. Unfortunately, the influence of money reigns supreme...

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Rant, one party? Geez, what form of government do you prefer?

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   
mpeake if you want your voice heard heres are how you do it.
Step 1. Gather a group of like minded people like yourself and split them into two groups.
Step 2. Three quarters of your group forms a new political party the other one quarter forms a media outlet that follows your policys blindly.
Step 3. Once Anna Coulter has gone off the air zombies that is people that dont question foxnews will turn to your media outlet and follow your policys blindly.
Step 4. Time to deal with non zombies start by having genunie debates with oppentos give interviews on ATS

Step 5. Buy out any media outlets that question your partys policys.
Step 6. mpeake finds his/herself elected to the oval office.

top topics

join