It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barret to kick H&K XM-8 ass.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
H&K is not the only one company that wants to make standart assault rifles for US Army. Barret wants piece of cake too! Now when the new M-8 weapon will be chosen in competition there are aditonal designs. The rifle is designated M468 and it uses 6.8mm ammo(yes!).

Design :

Barrett's aim is to eliminate the M-16/M-4's weaknesses while retaining its strengths -- in short, improve the rifle's combat characteristics, but also simplify operator transition to the new weapon, and reduce maintenance and acquisition costs.

A rifle such as the M-16 can be divided into two major components: the upper and lower receivers. The upper receiver houses all of the firing components of the rifle: the bolt assembly, the barrel, chamber, and the gas operating tube, as well as any iron sights or attached optics. The lower receiver forms the "user interface" portion of the rifle, incorporating the butt stock, magazine well, trigger assembly and handgrip. In the M-16's case, all of its operational problems are associated with the upper receiver. Consequentially, the Barrett M468 is essentially a new and improved upper receiver mated to an existing M-16/M-4 series lower receiver (there is no need to buy a complete weapon).

Cartridge :

The core component of the Barrett M468 is Remington's new 6.8mm SPC (Special Purpose Cartridge). Indeed, the rifle's name comes from the combination of M4 and 6.8mm. Introduced by Remington Arms in 2004, the 6.8mm (.270 caliber) SPC is more lethal than the 5.56mm cartridge, without a significant increase in overall bullet dimensions. Though slightly larger than the standard M-16 cartridge (6.8x43mm as opposed to 5.56x45mm), current issue M-16 magazines can easily be reconfigured to accept the new cartridge. In addition, while the SPC has a slightly lower muzzle velocity than the 5.56mm cartridge, its larger mass makes it ballistically similar to the lighter 5.56mm round (in terms of accuracy and bullet drop), and it delivers half again as much kinetic energy. In real terms, this means that the 6.8mm SPC has the same relative trajectory as the 5.56mm (which allows for the M468 to be fired and treated essentially like a 5.56mm M-16), but with 50% more stopping power, and a bullet speed of 2650 feet per second from a sixteen and one-half inch barrel, delivering 1715 foot-pounds of energy, with a six hundred meter effective range.

Other advantages :

- it employs the ARMS Inc. S.I.R. (Selective Integration Rail) hand guard, which allows all existing military night vision devices, combat optics, and weapon accessories (such as bipods) to be mounted on it. The SIR system not only reduces the integration costs of the weapon (there is no need to purchase new optics specifically tailored to the weapon), but also gives the military the ability to selectively field the weapon and its systems. For example, every Heckler & Koch XM-8 requires an integrated electro-optical combat sight, whereas the Barrett M468 can be issued as a stand-alone weapon (the SIR system comes with integrated "flip up" style iron sights), with optional items.

The SIR system allows for the rapid integration of the core system (the M468) into all levels of the military, while distribution of auxiliary systems (such as optics and night vision devices) could be based on unit need and budgetary considerations. In addition, the M468 should be completely adaptable (through the use of modified hand guards) for use with existing secondary weapons, such as the M203 40mm grenade launcher (which has been a standard issue, squad level weapon for the last 20 years) and the 12 gauge LSS under-barrel shotgun. The ability to mount these pre-existing weapons means that new weapons (such as the 40mm launcher that would be used with the XM-8) wouldn't need to be purchased as additional items.

By going to a heavier bolt carrier group and stiffer recoil spring, Barrett has also addressed the one unresolved legacy issue regarding the M-16s reliability under combat conditions.

specifications

Caliber: Remington 6.8mm SPC
Builder: Barrett Rifles
Overall Length:
35.4 inches (stock extended)
32 inches (stock retracted)

Barrel Length:
16 inches (chrome-lined)

Rate of Twist:
6 groove, one-in-10 inch RHT

Sighting System:
Folding Front Sight and Gas Block

Price:
Retail Price: $2,535

Upper Conversion Kit Price: $1,494

Weight:
7.3 lbs

Muzzle Velocity:
2600 feet per second

Magazine Capacity:
5, 10 and 28 Round Magazine Configurations

Operation:
Semi-Automatic, Gas Operated,
Dual Spring Extractor System, Muzzle Brake, Two-Stage Trigger

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

upper reciever (M-468 conversion kit)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

comparing ammo

link

I don't know if it has some chance, but it looks like better than XM-8 (too sci-fi).

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
That thing looks like a Frankenstein rifle. I don't like the way it looks, but I do like that it uses a 6.8mm bullet. Still I want the XM-8 to win the competition.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The XM-8 will probably win, I won't be suprised if H&K suprised us all by releasing a 6.8mm or 6.5mm version of the XM-8, it's cheaper too than the Barrett system...

Still, I like the Barrett upper receiver for the M4/M16

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Nice upper, though I prefer the KAC RIS/RAS over the SIR setups. I bet the army would love to get on this simply due to the amount of money they already have invested into M4 lowers.

Originally posted by longbow
By going to a heavier bolt carrier group and stiffer recoil spring, Barrett has also addressed the one unresolved legacy issue regarding the M-16s reliability under combat conditions.

Anyone know what issue that is? Obviously is follows that if you increase the weight of the BCG that you will need a stiffer spring to return it, but I don't see why they increased the carrier weight in the first place. I wasn't aware that there were problems with them.

Also, you have the operation listed as semi-automatic; isn't that really a function of the lower reciever? I'm hoping that it was an error, as I can't see the military issuing an upper that is only rated for semi-automatic fire.

In any case, glad to see someone making the step to the 6.8SPC.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I think they should make next weapon system them able to easily exchange to 7.62x39 mm,, 5.45x39 mm and 7.62x51 mm nato like the FN scar.

A little off topic does anybody know if there are caliber conversions for the HK G36, like the M4 has recently come out with conversions to virtually any other riffle caliber.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I am an NRA lifer and Sharpshooter..
The H&K 91 is the most superior weapon for simplicity, less recoil, and little maintenance of all weapons..IMO..

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
FRICK YEAH!!! 6.8mm ROUNDS!!! Tnx for posting this!!!

Though there r 1 prob.

For the gun itself: 28 round mags.

I hate the 30 round mags, much less a 28. If they get an extended mag, YEAH!!! Or even a barrel clip:
I would cry.

TY for the topic. Finally, a new "Battle Rifle" [The G3 is 1, but again, small mags: 20 Rds, only prob though
]

[edit on 14-5-2005 by SEAL Trident]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
From what I’ve read online it seems that the 6.5 is tuning out to be better overall than the 6.8 round. Does any body have any info on how the 6.5 and 6.8 stack up against each other at long ranges and overall?

I don’t think the barret looks all that bad, but looks don’t really add to much in war. I don’t particular agree with the treatment they gave the already beautiful looking G-36 to turn it into the XM-8. But like I said looks don’t count much I’ll go to war in a pink ballerina outfit with a tampon on each ear
if would help me survive and be more efficient/lethal in the battlefield.

[edit on 5/14/2005 by Oblivions void]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEAL Trident
FRICK YEAH!!! 6.8mm ROUNDS!!! Tnx for posting this!!!

Though there r 1 prob.

For the gun itself: 28 round mags.

I hate the 30 round mags, much less a 28. If they get an extended mag, YEAH!!! Or even a barrel clip:
I would cry.

TY for the topic. Finally, a new "Battle Rifle" [The G3 is 1, but again, small mags: 20 Rds, only prob though
]

[edit on 14-5-2005 by SEAL Trident]

Unless you're a SEAL, you shouldn't post with that name.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
He's no SEAL, or he wouldn't have bitched about a mag that has 2 less rounds than a 5.56mm mag...

Don't forget, this is real life, not CS

M6D

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
the XM-8 still has way to many advantages over this new upper reciever, for example the 20 percent weight reduction, and to be honest, this new reciever doesnt look nearly as versatile as the XM-8, which has at least 5 r 6 initial versions all easily interchangable
hell even down to the small things the XM-8 is superior, like diffrent colour furniture to fit in with the surroundings, and also see through magazines
nice touch
lastly and this is for pure comfort, each rifle has a adjustable stock, nice

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   
The fcat that the Barrett weapon uses 6.5mm, means that a decision also has to be made about the future small arms round. Moving to 6.5 means that ammunition factories would hacve to be retooled and the stockpile of 5.56 sold off or used ( which I guess is more tan possible considering the tempo of US operations at the moment ).
From what I've read the 6.5 SPC seems to be far more effective than the 5.56, there was alot of input from US Spec ops into the design of the 6.5 SPC.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Hey rogue the barret uses 6.8 spc which was develop by special ops but alot of research is coming in saying that the rival 6.5 is getting better results then the 6.8 developed by spec ops in field test from what i've read online.

check out this link (a must for those who havent and are reallly interested in this)

www.defrev.com...

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
That thing looks like a Frankenstein rifle. I don't like the way it looks, but I do like that it uses a 6.8mm bullet. Still I want the XM-8 to win the competition.

You wanna make General someday? Consider cost.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
He's no SEAL, or he wouldn't have bitched about a mag that has 2 less rounds than a 5.56mm mag...

HOW DOES THAT HAVE JACK TO DO WITH THIS???? Look, I'm saying that 30 rd mags SUCK. No, not CS, not Halo, NO GAMES!!! Real life: 1st 1 shot does not always equal a kill, unless you have a HUGE caliber rd, but, 6.8 is soooooo much better than sucky .22. That has been proved time and time again. Probally the biggest example was in Somalia, even better, the CAR-15 with the Green Tip Rds. 2nd: Less Ammo = More times to reload. 3rd: You want to talk about combat: 2 rds less could screw you. I've got some time till combat, but in REAL LIFE, these are true.

Plus, what's with the no SEAL=no name crap

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   

He sounds like a real SeAL to me...

All they do is spray and pray anyway.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

He sounds like a real SeAL to me...

All they do is spray and pray anyway.

"spray and spray"

[edit on 15-5-2005 by SEAL Trident]

M6D

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   
thats what the guy with the M249 does...the rest of the guys shoot accurately...unless your army

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:08 AM
link   
My aunt works for HK, she was here for a coffee party with my mother, she told me, there is a 6.8 G36 in development, but that she knows nothing about a 6.8 XM8

M6D

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
well if theyre developing the 6.8 g3 then its likely they want the contract with the army quite badly, so id undoubtadly say theyre developing one

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join