It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Totally Disappointed in the Behavior Here During the Mod Lock Out

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yes you did. You came back and ripped the veneer of civility you have used for years right away and indulged in a four hour display of vulgarity. At least. And you were applauded for it. Hurray.

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I didn't think that many people here were like that underneath.

But you were wrong weren't you. That vileness that has peculated here for a long time, Like a pot of water that is not quite ready to boil, when all you can see are the small bubbles? It's been there all along.

You have not mentioned any specifics, but we, most of us know who they were. Old members with no restraints. And now, even in a thread like this I find no apologies. At best we have a few culprits giving out the ''I may not have been on my best'' followed by an excuse, and that only because the mods are back...

So it's cover up time again, time to pretend again. Time to toss stars at posters that can tread that thin line without crossing it.

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BingoMcGoof

I didn't think that many people here were like that underneath.

But you were wrong weren't you. That vileness that has peculated here for a long time, Like a pot of water that is not quite ready to boil, when all you can see are the small bubbles? It's been there all along.

You have not mentioned any specifics, but we, most of us know who they were. Old members with no restraints. And now, even in a thread like this I find no apologies. At best we have a few culprits giving out the ''I may not have been on my best'' followed by an excuse, and that only because the mods are back...

So it's cover up time again, time to pretend again. Time to toss stars at posters that can tread that thin line without crossing it.

I have no reason to apologize for my actions.

Perhaps as a "former" long-standing member here you should apologize for your lack of action.

Although I can understand why you did nothing for this site when it was being attacked.

You approved of what was happening.

edit on 000000010America/Chicago10pmSun, 29 Oct 2023 18:55:09 -050055 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Although I can understand why you did nothing for this site when it was being attacked.

That's not fair. He, Terry/Bingo was one of the first posters to start a sanity-based thread, that served as a meeting spot for members, he and Network Dude.

Unfortunately, I missed your interaction with the trolls. I bet it was stunning, knowing your biting and sardonic wit. However, verbal arguments didn't actually do anything to save the site. It did say a lot about members' loyalties, members defending members and members defending their own posts and theirs and other's right to continue posting in the face of gleeful trolls and hackers, and apparent take-down of our beloved site.

edit on 1120232023k20America/Chicago2023-10-29T19:20:11-05:0007pm2023-10-29T19:20:11-05:00 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 07:36 PM
link   

See, or maybe you don't but right there you chose to defend however it was you were acting without mods. I have no idea what you were posting at that time. Yet you singled yourself out of a general statement and found need to say , ''I din do nuttin bad''. Then have the temerity to come straight at me with accusations. Yeah, that's the '' treading the line without crossing the line I mentioned.

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 07:55 PM
link   

See, or maybe you don't but right there you chose to defend however it was you were acting without mods. I have no idea what you were posting at that time. Yet you singled yourself out of a general statement and found need to say , ''I din do nuttin bad''. Then have the temerity to come straight at me with accusations. Yeah, that's the '' treading the line without crossing the line I mentioned.

I understand that in this world there are people who will defend what they have and people that will cower in a corner and let others defend it for them.

And then whine about it when order is restored.

Know your place.

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 08:15 PM
link   

And just what do you have, it's not hard to know. You found yourself on the 6th page of a commentary on the recent kerfuffle and rather than making comment anywhere within that thread, found it necessary to go to the very end of it and directly ridicule one specific member for their comments. How interesting can you be?

The only positive action to take at that time was to continue to abide by the standards of the ATS we knew. If you did not, then that is on you and no one else. Others acted by those standards and many did not. At this point you know how you acted and I don't really care so I'll let this rest here except for one final comment.

KNOW MY PLACE???????????. Good one massa.

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: BingoMcGoof

The humans alive now are the descendants of the crude and violent Cro Magnon hominids, who killed off all the gentler Neanderthals, so luckily for us we do have mods, for as long as we have them.

It did suck for a while, but at least the ones who were the biggest problems aren't here anymore.

EDIT: That's a WIN, right?
Let's keep THAT energy!
We got our site back! Wahoo!

edit on 29/10/23 by TheValeyard because: clarification

edit on 29/10/23 by TheValeyard because: spelling

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TheValeyard

So true, so true. And indeed, the the foreign instigators have been vanquished by our valiant moderators and sent to the netherworld from whence they came. For that I'm glad. There are others who joined during those moments that have already, at least to me, demonstrated a freshness of though and expression in line with established ATS tradition.

The thing to me is the nature of on line posting. From early on here I have often seen advice from members to have a thick skin, to gird up ones loins for the battle this place can be. There were periods where the term, ''triggered'' grew in fashion describing how some people can so easily be swayed to emotion and erratic behavior. That is what I saw a lot of last week.
Triggering.

Troubling accounts were opened. There was at least one attempt by a foreign website to glean from distracted members, new members for that site. There was also one, or more, accounts that had the appearance of being nothing more than triggering devices. Those triggering accounts were rather successful at getting the goat of a fair number of members here.

Rather than ignoring them as I recall you suggested numerous times, and if I recall correctly, even authored a thread with that suggestion and hope, there were those that did not try and became just as the very thing they were screaming at and using defense as the excuse.

So, thank you for your stability during that period, I myself looked to it for guidance.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: BingoMcGoof

Oh I wasn't shining perfect after that interchange between you and I.
I got flustered and posted a meme that had some questionable language, and another user
and I took turns on one thread writing verses of a diss rap against a troll.
All centered around the Great Russian wonder, Maliko (or whatever his name was).

Kinda wish we still had the rap verses though TBH,
and I have to maintain that "I was Malvo'd" should probably be a viable legal defense.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TheValeyard

That time could be a lesson for us all V.
Malvo'd, ap ra po

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogani

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

Same thing with groups of people. ATS really only took hours to show who people really are and how much work the mods have here. It became Gab or Stormfront in one day flat.

Heck, it's kinda getting back to normal with cussing and stuff, but people are still openly talking about 1776 and another civil war. For a few days at least, then they'll stop.

But we all now know.

Ideas that require forced censorship will never last, because they require that constant manipulation from above. The moment that system of hall monitoring breaks down, correct ideas aligned with nature will immediately rise to the forefront. All these ideas about equality and tolerance will die without constant policing. Because nobody actually believes in them.
edit on 10/30/2023 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/30/2023 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 01:33 AM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

Yes you did. You came back and ripped the veneer of civility you have used for years right away and indulged in a four hour display of vulgarity. At least. And you were applauded for it. Hurray.

Don't really care or have an opinion about DCs behavior. But just wanna point out, people get away with things because of popularity. People get stars and flags because "oh that person who im friendly with posted this so I won't look at it objectively and will just support my friend".

Nothing to do with whether or not they agree with something. More about keeping THEIR tribe intact and thriving.

Tribalism. And I'm okay with it. I'm all for it.

Its funny how people think they are gonna somehow "defeat tribalism".

Better to embrace it. Use it.

Struggling against nature, HUMAN NATURE is a lost cause. Funny people haven't figured that out yet.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 08:05 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Just show human nature

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

I was just thinking about this prior to signing on this morning. Your point holds, not only here but almost across the board.
And right again, struggling against human nature is a lost cause and I do laugh at myself for my struggle. I admit that for most of my life I have had that old idea that we could do it, overcome the inherited traits and impulses that can so obviously be seen as detrimental to our continued development as a species. And even as I know this, I think I refuse to believe it.. Alas.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Did I star your post because I thought it was true OR because I want to join your club?

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

originally posted by: Mahogani

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

Same thing with groups of people. ATS really only took hours to show who people really are and how much work the mods have here. It became Gab or Stormfront in one day flat.

Heck, it's kinda getting back to normal with cussing and stuff, but people are still openly talking about 1776 and another civil war. For a few days at least, then they'll stop.

But we all now know.

Ideas that require forced censorship will never last, because they require that constant manipulation from above. The moment that system of hall monitoring breaks down, correct ideas aligned with nature will immediately rise to the forefront. All these ideas about equality and tolerance will die without constant policing. Because nobody actually believes in them.

Equality and tolerance seem to work pretty well in the Marines actually, by most accounts. I hear that when there's incoming fire you can't care if the one at your six is gay or straight or black or magenta, because bullets are more offensive than sentiments. Shared hardship is a unifier, which is why people need to view living on planet Earth as our shared battle.
We may have a reptilian brain and a base nature, but that doesn't mean we should say screw it and revert back to being cavemen either.

Philosophically, the unsure status of our future should be a sufficient external incentive to act in our better nature,
and for many it actually is.

The cycle phases from chaos, to tyranny, to revolution, to justice and comfort, to in-fighting, to ruin,
and then the cycle repeats again, until people learn, and some do, and it's mostly those few who are left to rebuild after the devastation.

Nations come and go, but survival is an eternal threat on this planet.
Humans proved with their technology and innovation that they're capable of high marks, so don't let them off the hook.

Maybe you'll be proven right, maybe not, but personally throwing in the towel and fully joining in with the apes is still weak sauce.
edit on 31/10/23 by TheValeyard because: spelling

We should still try. I like having more restraint than a gorilla. It helps me not chase a ball into traffic and end up a quadriplegic with no teeth,
and I hate the texture of applesauce. Besides, you know as well as I do that most of these trolls wouldn't have the guts to behave that way IRL.
That's why they do it. As for the rest: It may be a small amount of civility in the scope of all, but at least we try.

You seem to look at it like "We need moderators and police so that just means we're faking civility", I look at it like,
"We've seen as a species the real world ramifications of not having intercessors when civility falls away, so we seek in earnest for people to step in when we fall short, and that shows that while we're not perfect, at least we try and have a desire to be better."

edit on 31/10/23 by TheValeyard because: clarification

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Society in general has determined that we no longer have to be kind. We no longer expect to act with civility. Society in general is falling apart because as a society we know longer show common decency to one another.

I remember a time where you could come here and disagree with others and still like each other. Seems over the last couple of years you can no longer disagree without hostility name calling and rudeness.

Things aren't going to get better until people learn how to disagree and accept others ideas may not mirror their own.

This is why sights for discussion are disappear ing. People no longer know how to be civil and have a debate.

The last couple of years I have constantly been called names accused of actions even been called a nazi just for expressing an opinion.

I think it's just a lack of upbringing at this point parents no longer teach their kids to respect others 😕

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join