It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ode to a Car - BYO2023

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I could go to a store
and buy you some flowers,
but instead I will draw
upon other powers.

I give you my word,
How 'er it may run
this silly thing
is all in fun.

First I assemble some words
and tell them of you,
then sit back
and see what they do.

First they may march,
merely keeping time,
then they break into dance
and begin to rhyme.

You have a new car
that can take you far;

perhaps to a river
flowing free
or a field of clover
wind rustled with glee.

Life is made
of much more than order
It does not recognize
a terrestrial border.

A tree may be small
while in the earth.
It invades the sky
and then finds girth.

But your car is merely
one of your tools.
That's why you expect it
to follow the rules,

else it would not take you
to a place worth going,
where living things
are chaotically growing.

The End

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

I like the reference to wind-rustled fields. Very evocative.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

I grew up around wind swept wild oats.
It's like watching waves.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 06:31 AM
link   

A tree may be small
while in the earth.
It invades the sky
and then finds girth.

Beautiful written, my favorite part of this outstanding poem.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain
I'm glad I left it in.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 07:35 AM
link   

I love cars, so I appreciate your poem, pthena.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

May all your cars
follow the rules
and serve you well
as wonderful tools.

Now that I think about it,
Most all of the vehicles I have ever owned were a physical manifestation of freedom.
edit on 1-10-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 11:34 AM
link   

This was a delightful read, pthena, and I love those lines at the end: "a place worth growing, where living things are chaotically growing."

I love the lightheartedness of this, as well as the pastoral elements

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Thank you.
I had to put the "all in fun" in just in case logical fallacies crept in unawares.
"a terrestrial border" was a tough one. I almost put in "a single border" but thought better of it. Tree invading the sky sealed the deal, crossing that boundary.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Wonderful! I can hear your prose as a rap song. Upon reading for the fourth time, it is really quite deep. Well done!

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

Thank you.

I am trying to imagine an open mic recital.
Rap song could work, with the right beat.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Yes, it certainly could

Bom-Bom-TISSSS
Bom-Bom-Bom-Bom-Bom-Bom-TISSSS
Chicka
Bom-Bom-TISSSS
Bom-Bom-Bom-Bom-Bom-Bom-TISSSS

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Did your car die?

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

An ode need not be a eulogy, in fact it seldom is.
But yes. All of my cars are probably dead by now.
I quit driving almost twenty years ago.

But I can still ride in someone else's car.
The ode is for a woman and her new car.

I let someone read the ode just now.
Then she told me how much fun the Rubicon Trail was.

edit on 1-10-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Excellent!

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JJproductions

Thank you.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Great job!

This is up my alley entirely if we are talking vehicles to drive us through life. You're never confined to a single vehicle. Hop on over to the "abstraction emporium" and see how much practical use it has.

Sometimes, you can intentionally drive one you would never otherwise get in. You drive this uncomfortable horrible car until it's shown you all it can. You pick it because it has no AC, 76 HP, and no working driver side window cranks. Not to mention it's paint job attracts attention and puts you at a perpetual disadvantage.

Once you ditch it you will have grown from the experience and actions of trying to use that vehicle.

Example: I knew a Jewish girl that used white supremacy in this way. Actually immersed herself in the white power scene for around 3 months, as a jew, and reaffirmed her rejection of extremism.
edit on 2-10-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

Thanks.

There was this guy, spent many hours a day reading all the crap that major social media influencers decided he should react to.

He stepped out for a smoke with his head spinning with images of Nazis, and Trans, and forest watering. He became more and more agitated, raging about top concerns on his mind.

Just then a UAV hovered close. It contained a representative of the Galactic Empathic Grantors. The smoking guy was scanned to determine his strongest emotional concerns.

Then a beam shone out enveloping the smoking guy. When it ended he had transed into a Nazi forest floor waterer.

This big funnel looking structure to suck moisture out of the air. Six legs, with 4 ft ground clearance to climb any obstruction to reach any forest no matter the terrain. Two spinning sprinklers front and back. Overall color scheme red and black.

He wasn't exactly pleased with this, but what could he do? He headed off to the nearest dry forest.

edit on 2-10-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

Example: I knew a Jewish girl that used white supremacy in this way. Actually immersed herself in the white power scene for around 3 months, as a jew, and reaffirmed her rejection of extremism.

Is that total immersion to its logical conclusion? And then rejecting that conclusion as undesirable?
edit on 2-10-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Okay... The title says exoteric, not esoteric. I miss points sometimes.

But if I have you right... I may have a similar story...

There once was a Galactic Empire that wanted to change Earth's thinking away from fearful herd mentality. They created a test ideology surrounding it. They used an extreme to illustrate the center.

There also was an angry validation needing kid. He latched onto an ideology to set him apart. To make him badass. He joined a tribe of mutual goals and methodology.

What differentiated this tribe was their emphasis on their accomplished deeds. For the world was one of mundanity. Simplistic minded trendy thinking that required an authority to guide them.

They sought to change that. They wanted to use their deeds to change the world for a coming Galactic Empire. And to understand the nature of human behavior and transcend their limitations, both moral and physical.

The awaiting Galactic Empire was not impressed. The concept of mundanity had been corrupted by the window trimmings of the identity.

The Irony being, this tribe broke away from society and its mundanity by adopting a rigid method and ideology. It had logos, buzzwords to incorporate, all the trappings of that which they were liberating themselves from.

The Galactic Empire, and those that understood their intent, let the arrogance and hypocrisy take down every angry follower that latched on to it. So perturbed by the missed point they took to promoting the falsehoods themselves. They gave them everything they needed to understand, if they wanted to still not get it, they'll lead them to the slaughterhouse instead.

When they'd commit their morally transcending deeds to upend the mundanity, they'd find themselves often right back subject to mundanity as casualties of morality still existing.

In the end, they transcended nothing, and ultimately let their need to belong March them to oblivion.

As it turns out the mundanity the Galactic Empire was referencing was the viral, uncritical, grandstanding behavior, and comfort derived from association with an image.

Nobody quite gets what a superman is anyway.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
a reply to: Degradation33

Is that total immersion to its logical conclusion? And then rejecting that conclusion as undesirable?

Total immersion in Neonazism to gain insight through doing. Done because it was THE OPPOSOTE of her beliefs. Loathed it.

Went to a rally, which do exist in Southern California, and went from there.

Everything about it was undesirable to her. Did an undercover thing pro-bono. To try to understand blind hatred. Temporarily pretended to follow the ideology despite it making her sick to do so.

<<   2 >>

join