It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study on smokers and Covid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This from Phillip Macmillan, who looks at the science with regard to the facts delivered by observational science. It appears that Belarus has the highest number of smokers in Europe, but was hardly affected by the COVID wave. Whereas the WHO put out statements that smokers were badly affected by the Covid where this is obviously fake news from a source who should be science-oriented.

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Here's the bottom line as stated in the study:

"Preliminary reports indicated that smokers could be less susceptible to coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, which causes Covid-19. However, once infected an increased risk of severe disease is reported."

So, smokers may be less likely to get a Covid infection, but will have more severe consequences if they do.

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 09:07 PM
link   

When covid hit my daughter and family everyone got super sick except the one smoker. He only knew he had it because he lost his sense of taste or smell for two days (can't remember which now) and a test showed positive.
He worked with mostly smokers who all had the same experience.

I don't recall any illness having so much contradictory 'scientific' information in my entire life, or one where they drew definite conclusions right at the start and then kept changing them.

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 09:12 PM
link   
This came out very early in the COVID outbreak.
A British cigarette company offered to manufacture a specific formula , based on their product .
If I remember correctly, the company only manufactures all natural cigarettes .
This was all in the news , then completely disappeared off the face of the Earth.
I wonder why ?

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Because the “experts” are a bunch of murdering bastiches, that’s why!

Anecdotally, I went through covid smoking and working with lots of people in a busy environment and never caught it until about a month after I quit the nics last August.

I was sick for about four days and super tired for another week or so but virtually no chest issues. Maybe because I’d been smoke free for about a month.

Probably a good thing for those folks with respiratory issues that Covid didn’t show up in the middle of wildfire season this year though.

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Revisiting the Paradox of Smoking: Radioactivity in Tobacco Smoke or Suppressing the SARS-CoV-2 Receptor, Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme 2, via Aryl-Hydrocarbon Receptor Signal? - LINK

The Paradox of the Low Prevalence of Current Smokers Among COVID-19 Patients Hospitalized in Nonintensive Care Wards: Results From an Italian Multicenter Case-Control Study - LINK

Drugs that mimic effects of cigarette smoke reduce SARS-CoV-2's ability to enter cells - LINK

Can Nicotine prevent you from getting Covid-19? - LINK

Was Hockney RIGHT? French researchers to give nicotine patches to coronavirus patients and frontline workers after lower rates of infection were found among smokers - www.dailymail.co.uk...

Targeting the “Cytokine Storm” for Therapeutic Benefit - LINK

Does Nicotine Prevent Cytokine Storms in COVID-19? - LINK

ATS - LINK
edit on 28-9-2023 by TarantulaBite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 04:06 AM
link   
We just find it um interesting your menthol smokes were banned.. is there something in the menthol that also helps? The timing of the banning was well, interesting.
reply to: anonentity

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TarantulaBite

The amount of strontium entering the atmosphere when above-ground testing was the rage, was known that it would increase the prevalence of lung cancer, rather than take the blame the government decided to test underground, as too much strontium would kill them off as well, and demonize tobacco smoking to blame the damage on something else. Now the amount of smokers is way down lung cancer is way up . But so are obesity diseases and diabetes which were a lot lower back in the day because of it also being an appetite suppressor.. So has the general health of the population improved with the smoking bans? i don't think so I actually think it has got worse.

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 05:00 AM
link   

But so are obesity diseases and diabetes which were a lot lower back in the day because of it also being an appetite suppressor.. So has the general health of the population improved with the smoking bans? i don't think so I actually think it has got worse.

Obesity is a complex problem, but one major facet was the introduction of fast food. It used to be that Dad would stop maybe once a month or so and bring home some burgers or KFC and that was a special occasion. A treat for the kids and a break for Mom. Then it got to be twice a month and then every week and then every other day when Moms started working.

It was downhill from there.

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 12:58 PM
link   

You might be on to something there.

I was just reading this study on Vaping.....very interesting
Largest US study of e-cigarettes shows their value as smoking cessation aid - hollingscancercenter.musc.edu...
STUDY

Then you have this ....what's the real reason here? cuz most will just smoke more....spend more $$$
Biden Administration Plan to Reduce Nicotine in Cigarettes Can Save Millions of Lives – But Only if It Is Swiftly Finalized and Implemented - LINK

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 04:50 PM
link   

My 2 cents as an overweight, chronic heart condition and generally unfit smoker of 30+ years...

Got the cov... felt a bit under the weather for a couple of days. Shook it off in three days and went about my business.
Got the second "variant" and shook that off in about 1 day. In all honesty, I had difficulty breathing with the last one.
It lasted about 8 hours. The layers of tar on my lungs are obviously a barrier for this "faux" virus.

Yay for tobacco and it's 2000+ negative effects!*

-*Disclaimer: Tobacco is generally bad for everyone and can cause cancer and numerous other ailments. I do not condone the use of tobacco in any way, shape or form. Use your common sense!

edit on 29-9-2023 by Kreeate because: grammmar

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Kreeate

The asbestos mines in Australia were a good indicator of what smoking did. The smokers were way down in the Asbestosis disease than the nonsmokers. It is a fact that the longest-living people in the world are smokers, in an age of depopulation why wouldn't the powers that be demonize it?

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
a reply to: Kreeate

The asbestos mines in Australia were a good indicator of what smoking did. The smokers were way down in the Asbestosis disease than the nonsmokers. It is a fact that the longest-living people in the world are smokers, in an age of depopulation why wouldn't the powers that be demonize it?

I honestly don't know. I'm sure that smoking in its base essence is not good for people in general.
I've known people who never smoked and died of lung cancer.
I've known people who smoked for 40+ years and lived to 98 years old.
The jury is out though, because there are a multitude of other factors that contribute to the longevity of a human being.
That much is common sense.

As for smoking... It "works" for me. It may very well not work for the next person. It's a personal choice and I won't ascribe any "magical" properties to it. It's poison for sure. But so are many things we put into our bodies. Yet here we are.
edit on 29-9-2023 by Kreeate because: typo

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

i smoke and caught covid twice, pretty damn sure it was covid because it was after my brother, niece,and sister in law,who is a nurse came down to my mothers for family get together. she had to test weekly due to work.the first time they all got sick, the second time was after she had both jabs and was the only one that got sick in their house.

the first time i was sick like bad flu for about 3 4 days, second time it didn't even last two days. i also smoked while sick and over 60.
edit on 29-9-2023 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join