It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Like Writing, Want Points? New Short Story Contest

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
removed, poster's request

[edit on 4-18-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Yay! My Hollow Earth story is done!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
OMIGOSH!!!! I just thought of something great!!! We could have ATS point gambling!!!!! Wadaya say, mods? Its an easy way to get points, and an easy way to lose points. C'mon mods!!!!

Edit: Sorry, kinda irrelevent to the current thread.

[edit on 23-4-2005 by Kushi_Master]

Edit: and heres My story for the contest :www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 23-4-2005 by Kushi_Master]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Quite a good competition we have going here

Is it possible that this one will become our biggest and best yet?

bring it on my creative friends, let the words flow

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Yes, This is actually turning into a good little contest. The more stories I read the more happy I become that you started it. I can't wait till the end draws nigh and all those that are waiting in the wings start to enter their stories.

This has been ALLOT of fun. Thank you WW.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Well I'm in with one post so far. I decided not to read anyone else's work until mine was ready to post, so I'm hoping mine is up to the usual standard expected from me at this point.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDemonHunter
Well I'm in with one post so far. I decided not to read anyone else's work until mine was ready to post, so I'm hoping mine is up to the usual standard expected from me at this point.

I think you should read others..... Get Ideas from it.... I would definitely not have done this if no one else had written a story first

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
So, we could have a story about how aliens came to Egypt and learned how to make pyramids?(get it, instead of the other way around)

Ok, I'm in, so I would put ACSS Alien's Learn from Egyptians as the title if I was doing a story like that?

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
yep you can
just put the (ACCS) in parenthesis like that followed by your story title.

[edit on 4-25-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
So, we could have a story about how aliens came to Egypt and learned how to make pyramids?(get it, instead of the other way around)

Ok, I'm in, so I would put ACSS Alien's Learn from Egyptians as the title if I was doing a story like that?

Yep, thats how you would do it. Good luck with your story and don't forget, the deadline is 16 days away.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I can read Grisham, Tom Clancy, whatever easily and in a couple hours, but dan writing was hard. I'll be lucky if it gets an honorable mention. Mine is on how Atlantis fell and explains why the pyramids around the world are pretty much he same and why everyone seems to have the same legends/myths. I used stuff from Magic The Gathering playing cards, Animorphs, and Diablo 2 Expansion Pack for names of things.(that was the hardest part, coming up with names for people)

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
I can read Grisham, Tom Clancy, whatever easily and in a couple hours, but dan writing was hard.

Writing is a skill, and like any skill, the more you practice it the easier it becomes and the better you get at it.

Here's a little trick that many writers swear by, including myself. Before you write the first line of any story, know what the last line is going to be. After that, everything else is just the filler material between the two lines.

If you know what the last line of the story is, then you already know the story you are writing. The last line brings closure to the epic of your venture.

For me, the last line is usually pretty easy. It's the first line that makes me want to crawl up in a ball and suck my thumb. That opening grab to get the readers attention is extremely important. The last line won't matter if they are not around to read it. With the first line you can assure they are.

For example, i wrote this:

"Every journey into nothingness must begin with something real, If only to the one on the journey."

Thats a killer opening line. It could launch any story you want to write and covers any myriad of topics that one can dream up. I hate to admit this but i'm such an obscure writer I have safely gotten away with using it on more then one story.

Writing is not hard, it's just a skill. The more you write the easier it becomes. The easier it becomes the better you get at it. The better you get at it the more rewarding it will be.

Writing is a journey not to find those who might love you, writing is a journey to find the love within yourself. It's that rewarding.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I usually use a prologue to open a story, explain the characters and such. Also explains how one got to where they are when the story starts. Like the opening credits in a movie, use it to set the story up.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hey, aren't the stories suppose to get a green tag thing to keep them at top? Mine hasn't, yet.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I'm sure that Worldwatcher will take care of you on that one when she's online again. She's the mod for this forum, and the creator of the contest this time around.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kushi_Master

I think you should read others..... Get Ideas from it.... I would definitely not have done this if no one else had written a story first

I prefer to have no influences in my head from other people's stories. I prefer to take my ideas into a dircection all my own. I'm certainly not shy about sharing my work at this point.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kushi_Master

I prefer to have no influences in my head from other people's stories. I prefer to take my ideas into a dircection all my own. I'm certainly not shy about sharing my work at this point.

What I mean is you might wanna check out the other stories, to see what your up against. I'd check out wupy's.... But no ones forcing you, man......

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Well this stinks things up a bit:

3- Participants are not eligible for prize awards from AboveTopSecret.com more than once in a 12-month (calendar year) period. If an individual is awarded a second prize through normal game-play activity within a 12-month period, the prize will be circulated back into the game or event.

This is rule three in the list of rules for contests and games and such.

If I understand this correctly, whoever takes the top three spots in this contest may as well put the quill and paper away for a year cause you can't win again for at least that long.

What is the point of entering if your not elligable to win?

WorldWatcher, am I reading this wrong? Does it apply to the short story section? Please tell me were immune from such an attrocity.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I don't know
I don't believe it applies, however since I'm just taking over, I need to verify with the superiors, will get back to you.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I think that only applies to competitions like "Find the Ring" thing they did awhile back. I hope anyways...... If not, bummer.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join