It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Getting Rid of Libraries in Some Schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 12:48 PM
link   
You know I hardly ever turn the news on anymore and yesterday I was reminded why. The first story was about Texas schools eliminating libraries and putting in various other things, one quite frankly sounded like a prison work camp.

www.nytimes.com...

Texas Revamps Houston Schools, Closing Libraries and Angering Parents As part of a state takeover plan, libraries in underperforming schools are becoming spaces for disruptive students to watch lessons on computers.

There was a part of me that was so angry, Schools and libraries go hand in hand. Then the other part of me wondered if there is something so much deeper and disturbing to this…. The news story had a girl in FOURTH grade that was just learning to read. WTF, sorry but this warrants cussing!
Fourth GRADE!

The story I linked above sounds so sinister, instead of teaching these kids to read, they are just going to “tell them” things. We all know how that works out. Illiterate people are the most used and abused people there are. Has the system just given up. OH don’t worry I’m not just blaming the school system, the parents get a big ol’ blazing RED F grade too. The story I watched on the news talked about having work camps where the students could garden, or fix things or something of the nature. Sound weird, like a servant class? That’s exactly what they are setting these kids up for!

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I remember when I was in school I loved being in the library. Oh I loved reading books. When I was in first grade, I think it was, I discovered an Astronomy magazine in the school library. Showed my dad and he got me a subscription to it in the mail, and that started a life-long love of astronomy to this day. I discovered J. R. R. Tolkien's works there. Issac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Louis L'amour, Zane Grey, the list could go on.

I guess it's a sign of the times. I really don't even know why kids are required to go to a physical school anymore. It seems to me those are an antiquated relic of ancient history. It is sad to hear about the passing of the libraries. Although, perhaps not for the worst, considering all the filth they are allowing into the schools these days for the young eyes to see.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

My school library was pretty useless and I read tons of books when I was a kid. I was always getting in trouble for reading books in class instead of paying attention to the teacher.

That being said, it seems like most school librarians these days are Rainbow Reich commie groomers.

So firing them and using the spaces to hold the disruptive little sh!t birds while other kids want to learn seems like a win win to me.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I for one am surprised that we are not seeing more of this. Let's face it reading has become a lost art these days. Why read when you can get an audio book and have someone else read it to you? Even on this forum we get more YouTube videos than written posts. Personally I am an avid reader and dislike the laziness of using a video to explain your point, especially when it's someone else's video. Plus it's easier to control what people are reading by making the only accessibility be by e-books. The over reliance on the internet has brought it to this.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Everything is digital now and done on Chromebooks. Why is there still a need for a library?

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 03:13 PM
link   

“the parents get a big ol’ blazing RED F grade too. ”

Ironically, I just got off the phone with my daughter who is in college at College Station Texas.

She said that 3 separate girls showed up for the first day of school last week, wearing nothing but bras and g-strings. And no, they weren’t bathing suits. They were lingerie.

My first thought was - sluts.

My second thought was - sh!tty parents.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I LOVE libraries! I love the smell and the sight of all those books. I'm an avid reader and it saddens me that so many kids today can barely read. As reading is the basis for learning of all other academics, their world has shrunk by galaxies.

I work at a rural school and they got rid of their library about 6 years ago or so. The 'library' now consists of a room of long tables and computers so kids can read off the internet. I tell you, it's NOT the same thing and there are hardly ever students in there. For the grade schoolers, they to still have a small library with several hundred books so that's good.

Several weeks ago when I ordered a book, I got the typical question asking if I wanted the Kindle version, paper back, hard cover, and new or used. Sometimes if I'm impatient, I'll get the Kindle version but I also order the 'real' book. Out of curiosity, I checked several books of a variety of venues to see if Kindle was outselling the paper books. They weren't....by far. This made my heart happy. And when the local library in town gets rid of older books, they sell the paper backs for 25 cents and the hard covers for 50 cents so I now have my own library with book shelves surrounding my extra living room.

I feel sorry for kids today not having libraries. There's something magical about libraries and of course the books they hold. It's sensory stimulation that IMHO internet reading can't ever come close to.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

The story I linked above sounds so sinister,

I go to my public library ran in a democrat city from time to time. The book section has shrank and shrank while the video, video game, audio book have taken over most of the library. The library is mostly multimedia now. With more and more computer rooms.

A good example is encyclopedias. How much of the narrative was controlled by a few encyclopedia companies. Now there is google.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Literate people might mess with Texas.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit
Everything is digital now and done on Chromebooks. Why is there still a need for a library?

It’s not the same.

I love reading online, but there is a difference and I do believe children starting out should have books.
It has also been proven blue light is unhealthy for everyone, but especially for the development of children's eyes.
We keep hearing keep them off devices, but it’s the schools that are shoving them in their faces!

I think there is this big push to keep us away from all that is natural.

Natural light, food, paper, fire, water, air, Sun, Moon. If it’s natural they want us away from it!

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 04:28 PM
link   

What’s natural about white paper? Try living next to a paper mill.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 06:44 PM
link   

since all the books now are digital online
they can change anything at anytime,
and disappear anything that will help people
overcome this crap

oh yeah,.. back in 2001 or so, my wife was a preschool worker..
she got a letter one day explaining that if the # ever
hit the fan....

both children and teachers would be loaded on buses
and whisked away 30 miles to an undisclosed location..
no parents would be given access to pick their children up..

then i saw those murals on the walls at denver international...
now , the elite are brainwashing children, modrnizing
business with robots, closing non essential ones..
planning smart cities that olny hold 15000 people

forcing electric cars controlled by computer and
drive by wire fully remote controllable and hackable on us
so we dont go near the elites private lands or leave the city,
be able to get to military bases and elected officials homes
and can crash us at push of button

something very evil is coming this way

remember the cheka? or kgb forerunner?
they had secret underground cities back during
the russian revolution, for spying and collecting
information on everyonei guarantee they are 10x
the size now, from empty underground mines..
secret trains, just like under raccoon city in the
movie series RESIDENT EVIL , but i see

more like the movie the time machine..
with the elites (Morlocks ) hiding underground with the
highest tech, best food, medical,.. you name it

with the over sexualized children and a few slaves
to keep things running, living above,... or vise versa..
they could keep us underground in an escape proof prison
while they enjoy the fresh air

it came as a flash,, seeing all that in an instant...
like seeing a ball rolling onto the road
and seeing the outcome in a flash, vision, whatever,,
but the future for us peasants aint gonna be pretty

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I don’t know what yo say…. Awesome? Excellent use of the feminist prerogative?

a reply to: KKLOCO

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 09:36 PM
link   
So uh
Books are online now so whats the commotion?
Or did you post from a pay phone booth?

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 11:31 PM
link   
This has been going on for quite some time in SoCalifornia. It’s been a battle, luckily there are still libraries in schools. About 2009 it started, they’ve been trying their damndest to shutter school libraries. Lately seems like it’s on more stable ground, but… libraries and staff are always first on the chopping block.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 12:19 AM
link   
It really burns me up when I am researching something and instead of finding reading material its a YouTube video with ads. If there is a YouTube video there should be an option to read the material, also.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
So uh

Things online and electronic are easily edited, deleted, suggested.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: shooterbrody
So uh

Things online and electronic are easily edited, deleted, suggested.

Doesn’t change the fact that technology advances and luddites still exist

Transform them into housing for the homeless

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Getting rid of the libraries is always a bad idea no matter which way they care to spell it.

Same with the likes of burning books and all that jazz.

It will all end in tears.

top topics

join