It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Moon Probe Crashes, Fails

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 06:34 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Russia’s first moon mission in decades has ended in failure after the Luna-25 spacecraft collided with the Moon’s surface.

The incident happened after communication with the spacecraft was interrupted, a blow to Russia’s space ambitions.

Russia’s space agency, Roscosmos, said it lost communication with Luna-25 on Saturday around 2:57pm Moscow time.

“The measures taken on August 19 and 20 to search for the device and get into contact with it did not yield any results,” it said.

maybe we get complacent after so many space successes. space exploration is still mega difficult.
unmanned mission, glad no one got hurt.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero
They maybe should have gone with '60s tech instead of this new fan-dangled quantum computing technology.

Valves, Diodes, capacitors, and good old-fashioned maths seemed to work a treat back.

And some people believe Alien tech could be ours.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

They maybe should have gone with '60s tech instead of this new fan-dangled quantum computing technology.

But, that is what they did?

The reason as of now, official, was a thruster firing with 1.5x more thrust than expected and prevailed the craft to get into the correct orbit. A huge hint on more the trouble that may happened, could be ESA pulling out. They would have provided the collision warning systems and optical landing guidance but pulled out in 2022.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain
a reply to: Soloprotocol

But, that is what they did?

The reason as of now, official, was a thruster firing with 1.5x more thrust than expected and prevailed the craft to get into the correct orbit. A huge hint on more the trouble that may happened, could be ESA pulling out. They would have provided the collision warning systems and optical landing guidance but pulled out in 2022.

I don't know why people expect lunar tech to be infallible, yea it's Wikipedia but here's an extensive and complete list of successes and failures. Seems we have orbited down virtually all nations. But landing is infinitely more difficult, Apollo 11 would have likely crashed without Armstrong making instance adjustments on its approach.

There's a reason neither Russia nor China hasn't landed a manned mission, 99% sure it's difficult and expensive AF, either they have tried and secretly lost persons, possibly early on by unlikely later

or 1% there is somebody on the dark side that doesn't want us to land there anymore

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6
The far side is also more challenging because of radio contact that is needed to remotely steer the craft. I imagine the antenna has to be readjusted by the onboard computer, as it comes back from the moons far side.

I heard a better description once but what we're really doing is shooting a bullet towards a greater bullet, both moving in 3D space and hoping that the bullet comes in a trajectory that allows the fired bullet to align with the same speed and then make that bullet slower until it lands.

That's one hell of a job to do with all the distances and extremes involved. I would compare it to a scuba dive at night where all you have is your compass and you pray and hope to end up where you want to be. In full isolation, in a different weightless environment with one extra dimension.

Good that it was remote, no one had to die.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain
More evidence that Russia and China don’t do anything all that well.
The can almost keep pace by stealing everything they can get their hands on from America, but most of what they try to claim as original, totally sucks.
Sputnik, AK’s, MiG’s, furry hats ….. not bad. But I’ll bet they were stolen from somebody lol.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 09:35 AM
link   
There was once and once only a big televised launch of one of their crewed missions to the space station. I think after the Challenger disaster. The best part and probably why it was a one time event is when the cosmonaut in the right hand seat picked up a broom handle to adjust the camera in the cabin. A. broom. handle. unsecured. It did have some tape on it so there's that. One has to wonder if they're still using 70s tech.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: stevieray

Sputnik, AK’s, MiG’s, furry hats ….. not bad. But I’ll bet they were stolen from somebody lol.

I am not so sure. I would not use absolutes like you do and underestimate.

US buys Russian rocket engines for example. Russians build better rockets than the US, otherwise the US would built their own and not buy from Russia (or bought, not sure if they still do). China is big with lasers.

China also has the best and newest automation stuff from Germany, Sweden, even US. Don't think for a second that the cheapo stuff produced by these precision machines that you get, is the best they can come up with.

How you ask? Was my question too... This is the answer: Wherever you use molds, they detorriate, depending on how often, fast and with what you fill them. If you use more reinforced fibres in the mold, then that is bad for the mold and it has to be replaced quicker. The truth is, as long as the mold is good, it goes to high end products, when it get's bad, it's mass market for the sheep and rest of the world. In the companies where it counts, quality is there you just don't get to see it. And that was just one example with molds.

This came from someone who built these things all over China, after I let off a sentence like you did towards him. Never underestimate China, you only know what they want you to know and experience.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: stevieray
a reply to: TDDAgain
More evidence that Russia and China don’t do anything all that well.
The can almost keep pace by stealing everything they can get their hands on from America, but most of what they try to claim as original, totally sucks.

The Russians didn't steal getting the 1st satellite in space Sputnik, or the 1st man in space.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
a reply to: ElGoobero

Valves, Diodes, capacitors, and good old-fashioned maths seemed to work a treat back.

have you seen Russias 60s tech

pretty sure it would fail just going shopping here on earth

Lunokhod 1

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Ilikesecrets
No, but they also bought it with a lot of lives and material, with a general disregard for human life and safety.

That has to be noted, too.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 11:01 AM
link   
i suggest the Russian mission is A-OK

the mission was to land a robotic oxygen processor combined with a rocket fuel extractor... designed to store those assets found in the Moons' south pole craters of local Moon 'ice'--- for future colonies of Moon miners "& support personnel...

having a 'stash' of fuel/energy and breathable oxygen is a mission game-changer. and a Top Secret revelation... so, the Luna 25 crashed is the official story ---> into it's own crater no less (the russians' cant admit to using a warhead in blasting a crater on the Moon)

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Everyone knows the greatest gift from aliens was a magical slide ruler...

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ilikesecrets
The Russians didn't steal getting the 1st satellite in space Sputnik, or the 1st man in space.

The Russians were on the cutting edge before computers came along as the norm. I remember back in the 80s they would take computer programming classes and never see a computer, so they were advanced in the application side of things, that is why all the nasty computer viruses came from that part of the world.

I personally think that the typical engineer before the 80s/90s was overall higher in intelligence than today with how manual they had to do and comprehend everything.

edit on 20-8-2023 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 11:23 AM
link   

No, but they also bought it with a lot of lives and material, with a general disregard for human life and safety.

NTM there’s a lot of other factors. Do we buy stuff from Russia or China because it’s fabulous ? Or because the economics of the various industries/ products make more profit with farming things out. Especially where they have no laws to protect workers or environments. The product may be just OK.
It’s not like the Chinese haven’t been infamous for slave wages, prison camp labor, and hellscape environmental conditions, for decades.
Pretty sure the Russian oligarch billionaires who run the country for Putin, have the same or even crazier freedoms to “print money”. That’s the bad version of capitalism.
edit on 20-8-2023 by stevieray because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: stevieray

Do we buy stuff from Russia or China because it’s fabulous ? Or because the economics of the various industries/ products make more profit with farming things out.

It is okay to admit that Russia does something better than the US for once. No need to find excuses and you're not a commie if you do.

They product may be just OK.

It's "ok" enough for your government to send billions worth of material to the sky with them, not using your own rocket engines. I am sure if your gov could come up with something more fabulous, they would do and we would not have this discussion here.

But it has to be some other reason so you can safe face. Because that's how your whole post feels, denial that the boogyman you got hammered into your head for most of your life, does something right.

Russia is by far not the pinnacle of most things but there are things they are good at. And it is okay to acknowledge that.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Oh well, Maybe the Indians can Land Vikram in a few days.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Ilikesecrets

The Russians were on the cutting edge before computers came along as the norm. I remember back in the 80s they would take computer programming classes and never see a computer, so they were advanced in the application side of things, that is why all the nasty computer viruses came from that part of the world.

I personally think that the typical engineer before the 80s/90s was overall higher in intelligence than today with how manual they had to do and comprehend everything.

Agree on the engineers. They had to spend countless hours on old style library research and stubby pencil calcs, NTM pencil and ink drafting.
Today the softwares and CADD - graphics programs are unbelievable. Still takes a lot of time if you’re using their astronomical capabilities. The animation and rendering products are crazy. It’s like having video of the interiors and exteriors before it’s built.
People used to make good money doing nothing but perspective renderings with paint-pencil-ink, and scale models of wood or foam core. Neither specialty exists anymore.
Draftsmen were terrific artists, and could test for PE or RA after enough years. No more.
edit on 20-8-2023 by stevieray because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Also note that we lost 3 astronauts all at once in a capsule before launch.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Every incident is tragic.

It's not about who lost more or when. I was just saying that Russian people paid a price for this achievement. In all fairness towards the USA's efforts, they were playing it a lot safer than the Russians. It was an uneven race from the beginning.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join