It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ad hominem!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Ad hominem is what is wrong in this world. Seemingly what everybody utters nowadays is ad hominem, even the OP of a thread is Ad hominem! We come from a life where we were hurt (ad hominem) and now all we do is ad hominem, a deranged mentality established. All we do is vent the wrong way, instead of making peace we make more war, division with every word we speak. Everybody is soul shocked and explodes, the friction makes us lose our minds.

It's not the books that are the problem, it is us.

It starts with us. We need a beacon and a rock to build our house upon and need to understand the underlying frustration wherefrom people say what they say. We clinch and slash. Seperate into unity!

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Untun

And maybe you shouldn't use someone like Rod Stewart for spiritual support.

Rod Stewart busted with a rent boy in a bathroom

How about just accepting the truth and start from there..

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Untun
Ad hominem makes you a bad hominid.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 04:47 PM
link   

While not great in regards to debate and conversation, it's up to the individual to decide if they are effected by them.

/shrug.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Oh, like I don't know what I am talking about. You posted it now it's yours.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Star and flag.

I copied the lyrics of verse 4

Billy wrote a letter back home
To Patti's parents tryin' to explain
He said: "We're both real sorry
That it had to turn out this way"
But there ain't no point in talking
When there's nobody listening
So we just ran away
Patti gave birth to a ten-pound baby boy, yeah

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 07:01 PM
link   
mistake post
edit on 18-8-2023 by firstofAkhet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Personally, I wouldn't assume that the audience here knows what "ad hominem" means. Perhaps many do ... but just as many don't.

I agree that ad hominem is the conversational style of of our age. Basically, if you have no defense or rebuttal to an idea or real point of view, just attach the messenger. Attack the person not the idea. Rather the inverse of WWJD, nest pas?

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Ad hominem is what is wrong in this world. Seemingly what everybody utters nowadays is ad hominem, even the OP of a thread is Ad hominem! We come from a life where we were hurt (ad hominem) and now all we do is ad hominem, a deranged mentality established. All we do is vent the wrong way, instead of making peace we make more war, division with every word we speak. Everybody is soul shocked and explodes, the friction makes us lose our minds.

It starts with us. We need a beacon and a rock to build our house upon and need to understand the underlying frustration wherefrom people say what they say. We clinch and slash. Seperate into unity!

You are Wrong . Tell Me Why ?

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Being on a forum is one thing; Knowing what a forum and how to eloquently debate by the terms of debate and recognize them as a reoccurring trope beyond the words? Is priceless to learn especially for moderators... Being a Moderator and knowing? The Ad attack then is Moderators are better seen(as in yeah you all exist) and not heard as the poster knows they do not have a chance at winning the debate and not because the person is a moderator but that's their excuse for losing it not that they already knew wasn't worthy to debate in a forum and are just a bored poster.

Why post why when the internet browser is a click away and so is the input box for it is the most "I'm just banging a couple of rocks together and somehow have a internet connection while doing it" is the most confounding thing to see on a forum as those experienced to forums could likely say; Outside of whatever it has as help and questions.

Seeing that ATS has it as BOARD questions? It has already encountered the; How is this not a search engine enough to clarify that that is not what a forum is for not bored questions. Like the trend that was the "ask me anything" posts that were halted a few years back.

Red herring and straw man are also important one's to learn.

Once I used a red herring as in go look this up when a debater as going post for post with what the google said without any opinion of their own on the topic when it was asked for... When they came back and stated what the consensus was? All I said was thanks for looking that up I needed it in another thread... It was at that moment he realized he did work for me and got stuck by thinking it was inline with what we were going back and forth about in debate and he immediately bailed the topic ceasing the back and forth. The reason I used that is because just googling and stating what the majority had stated had given him an over inflated sense of ego as if he had ever really considered it and when he wouldn't say what his personal opinion on it was? Here's your fish as he couldn't see himself superior any more having done a task he was already using as debate that wasn't a debate for me instead of him.

That tactic is used by people to try to avoid the Ad hominem them-self; But produce it in others as a personal vendetta against people they don't like in order to get them banned and look them-self faultless.

Using that last statement as a teaching to do that anywhere online has nothing to do with me... But it is a very difficult one to see as those are forum trolls and since they don't break the rules; The forum can't really get rid of them and all the troll does is get rid of members of the forum; Instead of well duh that's what forums creators wanted: Members interested and willing to share their personal input on the subjects it offers.

Once such a troll is bested since a goal like that; that they have means; They hate the forum and want to break it see it go offline and cease to exist. They can't stand it when they lose their troll home and have to wander off to go play that ego stroking love me while I destroy this place game somewhere else.

edit on 19-8-2023 by Crowfoot because: sp not punctuation

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: firstofAkhet
mistake post

Best post of the year ! Most honest one for sure.

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Crowfoot

Someone is controlling the internet keeping the pieces together and we don't know why.

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: stevieray

Heh.

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 02:37 PM
link   

a reply to: Crowfoot

Someone is controlling the internet keeping the pieces together and we don't know why.

Polymetric falcihgol derivation.
edit on 19-8-2023 by firstofAkhet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Oh you know something, someone or anything can't just exist; There always has to be someone that just has to try and be in total control over it then it turns into some dumb competition for all of those that are like that; that it just becomes so insufferable that it isn't even worth sticking around; as that would be like just to see how bad it'll get ruined by them as that sort also likes any and all attention they can get.

edit on 19-8-2023 by Crowfoot because: sp

posted on Aug, 26 2023 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Ad hominem!

This is the capital of Ad hominin! But the people that like to use them fail to realize, it points out their insecurities on what is being discussed; In fact a defense mechanism to hide their ignorance.

posted on Aug, 27 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
I give everyone nothing but good hominems.

And all of my birthday wishes. A la the Peanut Butter Falcon.

posted on Aug, 27 2023 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Ad hominem!

This is the capital of Ad hominin! But the people that like to use them fail to realize, it points out their insecurities on what is being discussed; In fact a defense mechanism to hide their ignorance.

I am not sure sure the ad hominin or gaslighting, a form of manipulation in a debate/discussion is born out of ignorance. I rather think it may be born of true beliefs, truths, indoctrination, and/or bias' (and we all have them). Once their comfort zones are challenged then some seem to take that as an attack and retaliate. People are emotional and some are more passionate that others so know your debate opponent before going and then you have choices, end the debate, continue the debate and point out the ad hominin or gaslighting or insults aren't furthering the discussion, agree to disagree then move on, look into the psychological and sociological reasons why there is such a divide or opposing views, or if one is really fortunate debate the facts from empirical evidence if we are fortunate for that to even exist in the first place.

Then there's the fact that being anonymous with others may make us behave in ways that we would never in face to face encounters, so there's that whole psychology too.

Other than that, I got nothing.

edit on q00000049831America/Chicago5050America/Chicago8 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2023 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Once their comfort zones are challenged then some seem to take that as an attack and retaliate.

Yep. Defense mechanism.
I know I've got mine. Pop up the full armor mode.
It ends up making me embarrassed afterward.

I imagine that people who use offense as defense may be more offensive.
A bit of self examination seems warranted.
Self examination is not a spectator sport.

posted on Aug, 27 2023 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
a reply to: quintessentone

Once their comfort zones are challenged then some seem to take that as an attack and retaliate.

Yep. Defense mechanism.
I know I've got mine. Pop up the full armor mode.
It ends up making me embarrassed afterward.

I imagine that people who use offense as defense may be more offensive.
A bit of self examination seems warranted.
Self examination is not a spectator sport.

I mean as soon as you notice your debating opponent going off topic is the time to shut it all down IMO.

<<   2 >>

join