It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wildfires Bring to Light CO2 Emission Reduction Challenges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I have cut and paste the entire article as I cant link to it as its a pay site that I pay for by billionaire investor Louis Navellier. So just forget about that he's a one percenter. Just like us right? Well he got there and he is no drum beating climate change reduce CO2 guy, however he is pragmatic and understands what man must do to save our planet. IMO the world needs to wean itself from coal, oil and CO2 generated products. Its too bad that China and India aren't helping but you wont see Greta or AOC talking about them.

In brief he points out that all this stuff about CO2 is worthless until such time that countries learn to control wildfires. The CO2 emissions from Canada's fires in 2023 will push the CO2 emissions way over the top so lets keep an eye on our MSM to see how they push the narrative.

Why is it that all those in power here on earth are so stupid? Educated idiots?

COW FARTS...................

By Louis Navellier June 9, 2023

Wildfires Bring to Light CO2 Emission Reduction Challenges
The raging wildfires in Canada are no longer just a concern for our northern neighbors.

With more than 400 active fires, more than 8.1 million acres of land have already burned in Canada, compared to the typical 600,000 acres at this point in a normal wildfire season. So, when weather conditions shifted this week, winds blew heavy smoke throughout portions of the northeastern U.S.

New York and Pennsylvania have been the hardest hit so far, as smoky conditions blanketed NYC and Philadelphia over the past few days. The smokey conditions also caused widespread hazardous air condition warnings from Massachusetts to North Carolina.

Now, the boreal forests in Alberta naturally burn every year, as lightning from thunderstorms ignites the forest floor. The problem is that the ground in these boreal forests contains peat, which is next to impossible to put out until the snow falls again. As a result, the wildfires are anticipated to burn throughout the summer and until October, causing air quality concerns for the foreseeable future.

Given the early start to the boreal forest fire season this year, some forecast that 2023 will likely set the record for carbon dioxide emissions. ScienceAdvances published a study last year that forecasts the annual boreal forest fires in the Northern Hemisphere could release 12 gigatons of carbon dioxide per year into the atmosphere. Historically, forest fires have accounted for about 25% of global carbon emissions.

By comparison, the International Energy Agency (IEA) reported that carbon dioxide emissions from energy and industry globally hit a record of 36.8 gigatons in 2022 due to China, India and other emerging economies. So, for everybody who is worried about carbon dioxide emissions (which were not originally named in the Clean Air Act), the real problems are natural forest fires from thunderstorms as well as rising coal burning in emerging economies.

Personally, I don’t think there is much that the G7 or COP28 can do to impact global carbon emissions when there is no plan to squelch these seasonal forest fires.

The Wall Street Journal even reported this week that global government’s efforts to curtail carbon dioxide emissions have been overpowered by wildfire emissions. According to the University of California, wildfire emissions in 2020 were twice as high as the state’s greenhouse gas reductions between 2003 and 2019. Wildfires were the second-biggest source of carbon dioxide emissions in California in 2020.

I should also add that Science revealed 1.76 billion tons of carbon dioxide were released due to boreal forest fires in 2021. To put that into perspective, that’s almost double the emissions that came from global aviation in 2021. And nearly three times the projected reductions in 2030 based on the Inflation Reduction Act.

Overall, the green police’s efforts to reduce carbon dioxide emissions still face incredible hurdles, especially when governments don’t take the necessary steps to prevent natural disasters like wildfires that often wipe out their efforts to reduce emissions.

edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: add

edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: typos

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I agree that we can't just paint all 1 percenters with the same brush. I mean really at some point all that luxury and debauchery will just get old and meaningless for some.

Perhaps the solution is as simple as banning campfires during dry conditions. Actually I can't wrap my head around why this isn't a hard and fast rule for campers.

Lighting strikes are a given, so I really haven't looked at forest management processes, but I did read once that they do sectional clear cutting to contain fires. I just haven't researched whether or not Canada does this, I have read that the U.S. forest fires have drastically been reduced but I haven't looked into how they achieved this and I don't have the time today to look into it.

As for arsonists, well maybe what is called for here is extra surveillance in forests; solar powered cameras?

One thing for sure is that this is not one country's problem.

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Its a huge global issue. Why is it they also don't discuss volcanic eruptions. NASA does but they tamp it down. Based on NASA's recent press conference on their stuff on UFO's UAP's and ET, I don't trust NASA. But heres their write:

What Do Volcanoes Have to do With Climate Change

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
I agree that we can't just paint all 1 percenters with the same brush. I mean really at some point all that luxury and debauchery will just get old and meaningless for some.

Perhaps the solution is as simple as banning campfires during dry conditions. Actually I can't wrap my head around why this isn't a hard and fast rule for campers.

Lighting strikes are a given, so I really haven't looked at forest management processes, but I did read once that they do sectional clear cutting to contain fires. I just haven't researched whether or not Canada does this, I have read that the U.S. forest fires have drastically been reduced but I haven't looked into how they achieved this and I don't have the time today to look into it.

As for arsonists, well maybe what is called for here is extra surveillance in forests; solar powered cameras?

sustainablefortbragg.wordpress.com...

This is how it's done, and it works. there are many other factors that go into fires taking place, but this practice will reduce the available fuel, which will stop most fires from raging out of control.

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass

Its a huge global issue. Why is it they also don't discuss volcanic eruptions. NASA does but they tamp it down. Based on NASA's recent press conference on their stuff on UFO's UAP's and ET, I don't trust NASA. But heres their write:

What Do Volcanoes Have to do With Climate Change

From your article:

Climate scientists bring up volcanic eruptions to better understand and explain short periods of cooling in our planet’s past. Every few decades or so, there is a volcanic eruption (e.g., Mount Pinatubo, El Chichón) that throws out a tremendous number of particles and other gases. These will effectively shield us enough from the Sun to lead to a short-lived global cooling period. The particles and gases typically dissipate after about 1 to 2 years, but the effect is nearly global.

Comparatively speaking, greenhouse gas warming coming from human activities (primarily driven by the human burning of fossil fuels) will endure for millennia, even longer than nuclear waste.

This makes sense in the context that in the past greenhouse gas wasn't at the level it is now and so rising volcanic particles and gases dissipated quickly back then without much long-term effects and there were more trees. So, we have continuous pumping of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, less trees and just more of everything, including cow farts.

The scientists say the answer to this problem is to reforest the Earth and our leaders are dragging their feet here too. The money always seems to be diverted to the war machine and we are paying the price.
edit on q00000001630America/Chicago5656America/Chicago6 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

This is how it's done, and it works. there are many other factors that go into fires taking place, but this practice will reduce the available fuel, which will stop most fires from raging out of control.

Thanks for that and I'll read it later, but I also have to research what's going on with Canada's and/or other country's 'burning towards success' processes, if any are even practicing these much needed burns.

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Thanks for that and I'll read it later, but I also have to research what's going on with Canada's and/or other country's 'burning towards success' processes, if any are even practicing these much needed burns.

they have been ignoring the forest and hoping things just work out.

Back in 2016 when Parks Canada had planned just 12 prescribed burns for the year, Mark Heathcott, the agency’s retired fire management coordinator of 23 years, warned about the importance of the practice to prevent future wildfires.

nypost.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Nice article. Seems like the USA last did this type of prevention was back in the 70's

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

As I said in my thread about this, Ft. Bragg does this regularly in different areas and the results can be seen as you drive through the base. We have a lot of long leaf pines here, which makes a mess of flammable tinder on the ground. Some areas have people who rake it up for landscaping use, and others use the burns to maintain the area. But aside from a military base with lots of people to use for things like this, I don't know that regular forest crews have the manpower or budget for things like this. And the bad part only comes around once in a pretty good while, so it's like playing the lottery, but when you win, your sh!t burns down.

edit on 11-6-2023 by network dude because: Beto, what a stupid name.

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

What they do in the South is sell pinestraw which in effect is forest management. Uncle Sam should also allow harvesting of pine straw in its forests as one bale costs over $5 near Columbia, South Carolina.

It is used around the foundations of the homes landscaping as termites hate it. It does disintegrate in the heat and needs to be replenished annually.

There is a lot of money to be made here as its NOT used up North.

Could The Air Force Bomb Forest Fires into Submission
edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: typos

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Yes. Reforestation is the way to go. I am all in on that

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Rather than reducing CO2 admissions, why not focus on converting CO2 back into oxygen and carbon by increasing trees, plants and algae?

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Fireworks cause some fires, and I heard that things like chinese lanterns floating around are also triggering some. More and more youth and middle aged people are doing stuff in the forests these days too, not only campfires, but cannabis roaches tossed around and cigarette butts cause fires too. The problem is with society, people were not trained to be cautious in the woods. Even motorbikes and four wheelers without good spark arrestors can cause fires. Not many people take their lawnmower into the woods but some fires start from metal hitting rock, lead bullets did not cause sparks when they hit rocks, steel ones can if they hit chirt or quartzite or sometimes flint.

We have a lot of issues to address. I think anyone walking wilderness trails or doing something in the wood should possess some sort of certification on fire safety that is free to get but requires a day or two of class to explain risks,

new topics

top topics

join