It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Need for Speed - Drone Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2023 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Hey all!

Warm wonderful weather is upon us! I brought my go-to freestyle drone out to our local fields to stretch my legs a bit. This video will give you a sense of the speed these "race" drones have. My quickest run was roughly (2:18) in the video. As I was rounding the back side of the field, I was going roughly 85Mph (136kmh) at roughly 85% throttle. Battery life drops significantly going that fast. Normally flying in my backyard, I can get a solid 5min on a full charge. Out here in the fields. I'm lucky to hit 3min!!

Enjoy the flight!!

posted on May, 11 2023 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Triton1128

Really is amazing how good drones have gotten over the past few years. Especially the cameras. So smooth. Enjoy your videos!

posted on May, 11 2023 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Thanks!

I actually built this drone. Parted it out and built it piece by piece. The camera is just a GoPro Hero 8 Black. (3D printed mount) I added an ND16 filter and then setup a custom preset. (locked shutter / WB / ISO / ect.. )

** Just didn't want to confuse my drones with any of the off the shelf DJI stuff. They are vastly different.

posted on May, 11 2023 @ 11:37 AM
link   

do you do drone footage as a job, or is this just a hobby you are really good at?

posted on May, 11 2023 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

A hobby, IT is my career. 20+ years in. Went to school for electronics, graduated as an electronic technician. Those two path's kind of lined me up for this hobby. Its right in my wheel house lol

I've had many inquiries though. Real Estate agency's mostly. But I would need my part 107 (to get a business licenses) and then Id have to pay for insurance. Then it would be a job and not as much fun. Right now its an escape for me.

posted on May, 11 2023 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Enjoyed as always, awesome footage!

I have a question though: When you blast through enclosed areas like that wooden barn with the tables...

Do you notice a difference in handling during such a move? Like, do you get a different "feedback" from the drone during that?
edit on 11.5.2023 by TDDAgain because: spelling

posted on May, 11 2023 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

Not really. The way my drones work is off a gyro. There is a gyro on the flight controller (ideally center mass) that is constantly reading its orientation. To keep it simple, the gyro works with the onboard CPU to do everything in its power to hold the last known position I left it in. This is why when I'm ripping over the field at 80mph in a straight line, I'm not being pushed around by any side gusts of wind. There are other variable to take into account, size of the motors (is the craft under powered, or correctly fitted with the right size motors for its size and weight) ect...

An under powered drone (motors too small or props too small) will be pushed around a lot. You wont have that "locked" in feeling. That and when you land, the motors could be hot (potentially damaged)

If everything is working as planned, you shouldn't feel any difference in flight no matter what environment you're flying in.

posted on May, 11 2023 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Thankyou for the flight. It was fun sitting on your drone and I feel refreshed and invigorated. I thought I was going to fall off when you inverted it but I trusted you and never let go.

I Love these flights of yours and it's so nice to have you sharing them here with the evolution of all your talents.

"Tally Ho, and Chocks Away!"

idea: fade the blade sound after take off and see what happens to the feel and flow of a clip, especially if you fly TO music on headphones, then edit with the same music.

"A Waltz in the park" sometime perhaps?
edit on 11/5/2023 by nerbot because: time and space loop

posted on May, 11 2023 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Always love your vids.

posted on May, 12 2023 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Triton1128
Hey all!

Warm wonderful weather is upon us! I brought my go-to freestyle drone out to our local fields to stretch my legs a bit. This video will give you a sense of the speed these "race" drones have. My quickest run was roughly (2:18) in the video. As I was rounding the back side of the field, I was going roughly 85Mph (136kmh) at roughly 85% throttle. Battery life drops significantly going that fast. Normally flying in my backyard, I can get a solid 5min on a full charge. Out here in the fields. I'm lucky to hit 3min!!

Enjoy the flight!!

This is how I fly in my dreams.
Soundtrack is perfect.

posted on May, 12 2023 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

Awesome! I too dream of flying like this.

posted on May, 12 2023 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Funny you say that, 95% of my videos I remove all prop sounds and just have a track playing "which I edit the flight too" But with this one, its hard to tell how fast I'm going. So I left in the prop sounds to give an audible indication. But yes, I agree. Having just music playing with the flight is edited too, is more immersive. I'm glad you enjoyed my flight. I appreciate your awesome feedback!

posted on May, 12 2023 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Triton1128

A hobby, IT is my career. 20+ years in. Went to school for electronics, graduated as an electronic technician. Those two path's kind of lined me up for this hobby. Its right in my wheel house lol

I've had many inquiries though. Real Estate agency's mostly. But I would need my part 107 (to get a business licenses) and then Id have to pay for insurance. Then it would be a job and not as much fun. Right now its an escape for me.

I think flying over golf courses and showcasing the beauty/difficulty of the course is a perfect avenue for what you do, particularly how you do it.

I'm IT as well. Learned avionics, then as a civilian became industrial electrician. turned that into a network infrastructure business at just the right time, and enjoyed quite a few years of getting paid well to do what I enjoyed. I'm wore out now, no so good for crawling under houses or attics, so I scaled back a good bit. But I enjoy recognizing talent and finding a niche to make $.

And I really like your property. we downsized the house and got some land. Best move ever. I love having a lot of things I could do, but nothing I HAVE to do right now. Keeps me off the streets.

posted on May, 12 2023 @ 09:57 AM
link   

This time of year is my busy time (property wise). Grass is growing far too quick, and we have a handful of perennial gardens that require upkeep and finally our 30'x30' veggie garden. It was originally 30'x50' but that was far too big for just my wife and I. We downsized to 30x30 and added a marble patio / fireplace. We still end up giving away hundreds of cucumbers and squash each year. But its not so overwhelming. The location is a bit remote, so it does yield well for the hobby. The fields next to me, along with all the woods in the back are protected wet lands. So no threat of housing ever going in. Being in an office all day, its nice to go home and have things to do outside. Even the 2 hours it takes to mow the lawn, in a way, is peaceful. I jokingly tell everyone its my thinking time lol

posted on May, 12 2023 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Grass cutting is my 2 hours of peace. I don’t have to think about anything but a straight line.

posted on May, 12 2023 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I enjoy it more then I lead on, don't tell my wife LOL

new topics

top topics

join