It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan McDonald's does away with plastic straws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 01:22 AM
link   
So today with the hot weather coming I decided to have a iced coffee at McDonald's.

And much to my surprise the straws now are paper.

They're actually heavy duty paper straws kind of borderline like cardboard.

It would be nice to see if America McDonald's follows the same suit.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic
I like paper straws. Less plastic is a great thing to me. I don't eat at McDonald's anymore, but there are a growing number of diners/restaurants in the bay area now utilizing paper straws as well. The kids hate them, but they are kids and play with too much anyways.

I actually wasn't even using straws at most places I go too, I just drink from the cup. I'm not sure why that typically earns a sideways look. If the cup was not washed, drinking from a straw still means your drinking from a dirty cup. Some folks are just funny like that I suppose.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I also don't typically use straws. But I mean, the cups are usually paper, so I don't understand why the straws can't be.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 03:24 AM
link   
In Germany they did this in 2018 because then plastic straws and q-tips with plastic stick were forbidden. I don´t eat at McDonalds or, tbh, nowhere outside anymore since years. I can cook for the same price three to five times more of the same BS they want to sell me out there xD And i don´t use straws anyway, somehow i think they are thought for kids to not make a mess when drinking.

So i never used or bought straws anyway but now i need some plastic straws for a bit of craft work and you really don´t get any plastic straws anymore, nowhere. Will have to order hundreds now and only need maybe ten or twenty, what a BS xD. But i am really happy about the q-tips which now have a paper stick. If you cut them in the middle and put some vaseline on the cotton part, you have some nice fire starters which work almost like matches.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Done this in the UK for years.

Basically, if you don't finish your drink in about 30 seconds then the wax lining the straw dissolves and your straw melts.

You then start hunting for a proper nice, plastic straw.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Joneselius
Done this in the UK for years.

Basically, if you don't finish your drink in about 30 seconds then the wax lining the straw dissolves and your straw melts.

You then start hunting for a proper nice, plastic straw.

Really that's amazing never heard of such a thing.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 04:23 AM
link   
They still packed in plastic, sure it's good I guess less plastic but it's like a drop in the ocean so to speak.

Plastic is the worst invention, they even found plastic in the uterus. You even breathe in tiny plastic particles (not visible to the eye), also when you drink out of plastic bottles you get tens of thousands little particles inside every day, nobody knows how bad it is for you.
Let alone all those fish in the ocean, they also filled with plastic, small and big parts.

In my country they collect all plastic waste from households but even so in the end since they can't recycle that much, much of it ends up in poor country's (they export plastic waste to those poor country's!) and so in the oceans nevertheless.
Those poor country's got mountains of plastic because of the west consumption, just laying around in nice nature and plastic stays in the environment for ages.

Just look here at some google pictures:
plastic waste in poor country's
edit on 3-5-2023 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2023 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Been that way in the UK for around a year now.

Murder as well if you decide to order a milkshake.

As they simply collapse and become all soggy.

One of the reasons we prefer to use the likes of "Just Eat" and order at home.

That way we can use the straws in the house.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Been that way in the UK for around a year now.

Murder as well if you decide to order a milkshake.

As they simply collapse and become all soggy.

One of the reasons we prefer to use the likes of "Just Eat" and order at home.

That way we can use the straws in the house.

I'm not going to pimp one product or the other I found mine on amazon usa

Now days I must carry a collapsible reusable straw as our town has banned
the good plastic straws and as you know the paper ones they have here
are useless..
Why are they advocating paper,
cutting down even more trees,
thus causing less CO2 absorption?
They have gone bat # mate !!

PS:

The collapsible straw I got is HIGH QUALITY it was $8!! FOR A STRAW!!

They have some $2-$3 ones but reading the reviews you are wasting your money..

The fast food joints ect could pass out re usable collapsible straws solve
the whole problem but they have made them
so expensive and they are made in china well mine was ..
Rly I LOVE the environment but doing silly things that do not help
and inconvenience regular people just gets people jaded at the whole enviro thing.
edit on 3-5-2023 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
So today with the hot weather coming I decided to have a iced coffee at McDonald's.

And much to my surprise the straws now are paper.

They're actually heavy duty paper straws kind of borderline like cardboard.

It would be nice to see if America McDonald's follows the same suit.

Are they paper/wax like they were many years ago? 😎

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 09:26 AM
link   

As long as Japan continues producing the highest quality plastic toys in history, everything will be fine.

www.mcdonalds.co.jp...

#McLovinIt

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pluginn
They still packed in plastic, sure it's good I guess less plastic but it's like a drop in the ocean so to speak.

Not so ... In Ireland at least they are in a paper wrapper, we've had them for a few years now and they are absolutely awful.

As andy06shake said ... If you have a shake or a smoothie they just disintegrate and have a powdery taste to them.

Also as an FYI the existing McDonalds 'paper' cups are not recyclable because they have a thin interior plastic coating.

Alternative fully bio degradable plastics made from Hemp are possible but there seems to be no traction on the development side.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Who cares about plastic straws, when face masks are strangling wildlife and will take 200 years to get rid of?

Straws don't strangle. Straws just sit there.
I had enough of humans and their stupidity.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

Drives me nuts, try drinking a cold milkshake on a hot Sunday with one of those things. Within 5 minutes the straw turns to mush and you end up almost suffocating yourself to get a drink.

If i ever see a baby sea turtle i'm kicking it to death, damn things ruined straws.
edit on 3/5/23 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Actually the effect your talking about happens not after thirty seconds and not because the straw is submerged in liquid. It occurs because of the habit of playing with the straw in your mouth with excess salivation. This habit typically occurs subconsciously in most people andnmay include mild chewing, picking between the teeth, wrestling it with ones tongue, etc.. etc..

Most kids do this, which is why they fail quicker and kids hate these the most. It's a tick that so many humans have not even realized they are doing precisely because the plastic straws could handle the abuse. I would often squish the tip of plastic straws flat and pick my teeth between sips and bites, but it is done consciously because when something is in my teeth i want it out asap and not when I'm all finished then hunt for a toothpick.

It's faily easy to get over these behaviors by simple becoming aware of them and maturely understanding what the purpose of a straw is and accepting yourself as being a responsible human. That paper straw when thrown out in the grass at a picnic will disappear after a single storm and sun cycle. That plastic straw will remain for a hundred years plus as a choking hazard to wildlife and an aesthetic eyesore .

I'm ok with a plastic bag ban as well. I'm not crusading for it, or the straws, but I most certainly support them.
edit on 5-4-2023 by worldstarcountry because: Grammar/spelling

top topics

join