It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100+ Harvard professors to protect free speech, prevent censorship on campus during 'crisis time'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Good Luck. A bunch of professors and faculty at Harvard think they can restore academic Freedom and freedom of opinions at these "lost" universities. I would not be surprised if they all get fired or mobbed by black clad masked thugs. I commend them for trying and wish them success though I doubt they will prevail.

www.bostonglobe.com...

New faculty-led organization at Harvard will defend academic freedom

Confidence in American higher education is sinking faster than for any other institution, with barely half of Americans believing it has a positive effect on the country.

No small part in this disenchantment is the impression that universities are repressing differences of opinion, like the inquisitions and purges of centuries past. It has been stoked by viral videos of professors being mobbed, cursed, heckled into silence, and sometimes assaulted, and it is vindicated by some alarming numbers. According to the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, between 2014 and 2022 there were 877 attempts to punish scholars for expression that is, or in public contexts would be, protected by the First Amendment. Sixty percent resulted in actual sanctions, including 114 incidents of censorship and 156 firings (44 of them tenured professors) — more than during the McCarthy era. Worse, for every scholar who is punished, many more self-censor, knowing they could be next. It’s no better for the students, a majority of whom say that the campus climate prevents them from saying things they believe.

The embattled ideal of academic freedom is not just a matter of the individual rights of professors and students. It’s baked into the mission of a university, which is to seek and share the truth — veritas, as our university, Harvard, boasts on its seal.

The reason that a truth-seeking institution must sanctify free expression is straightforward. No one is infallible or omniscient.

Over 100 Harvard professors band together to protect free speech, prevent censorship on campus during 'crisis time'

Li nk

More than 100 Harvard professors and faculty members have banded together to form the new Council on Academic Freedom to protect free speech and prevent censorship on campus during a "crisis time."

"It has been stoked by viral videos of professors being mobbed, cursed, heckled into silence, and sometimes assaulted, and it is vindicated by some alarming numbers," Pinker wrote.

The Harvard professor noted that academic institutions that censor students and faculty will inevitably "provide erroneous guidance on vital issues like pandemics, violence, gender, and inequality."

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Interesting to see if this is a *fake Outrage -- Controlled Opposition* fuse that fizzles out right before the firecracker blows as planned 😎

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

With you on that.

If these guys are so smart, why only now are they speaking up about the madness of it all.

Perhaps the tide IS shifting and grifters gonna grift.

Academia can go f themselves.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

If some students join them, and word spreads, they will prevail. Students bring in the $$$.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 02:05 AM
link   
What i learned over the decades is:

If it´s coming from Harvard than it´s evil!

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 09:14 AM
link   
About 8 years too late, buddies

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I know this may seem a bit off topic however, if I disagree with any of my professors and we have an assignment on said topic, I can present my POV. It is graded by a rubric which means my assignment is given points based off the guidelines of the rubric. I have access to that rubric. If I fail for my lack of input that was part of the rubric then, okay. If they try to fail me forgot agreeing to them, I would simply go to them with the rubric and have then justify. If they can't ND don't change my grade, I will be forced to go higher up.

I think you are meaning verbal freedom in colleges. If that's the case, I have no answers. I have had to sit through some 5 🤡 rated teachers, trying to indoctrinate the classes to the collective college mind. I kept my head down. The teacher was attempting to make anyone who did jot fit into the multicultural box ( me), was a racist and bad. guess what, didn't work.
I guess I do not understand how the minds of college students change if they were of one way before. My fundamental beliefs go unchanged. Even though I have been going to college for education for the past 8 years. ( child development jc level and working on a BA in elementary education.). It's just nuts how people are in these places. Well, I am in comifornia.thats why I personally keep to myself for not having to listen to the annoyance of ( Oh biden is just a sweet old man. That's why I voted for him. Kind of junk.)

And now...Work time

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: 19Bones79
a reply to: xuenchen

If these guys are so smart, why only now are they speaking up about the madness of it all.

The need for critical mass perhaps?

It's been painfully obvious to most of us the dangerous road we have been heading down for the last decade. But most of us have been just observers for most of that time and not directly impacted.

When your paycheck is involved how much are you going to be willing to watch before your say enough is enough? Quite a lot longer than most people are willing to admit to themselves, I imagine.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

I lost my job because I refused to get vaccinated, went into quite a bit of debt because of it too.

Making the right choice when you're in a spot isn't for everyone.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I sincerely hope that this works, and that it is emulated around the world, because today what we're seeing is basically the polar opposite, or inversion, of McCarthyism. The Marxists are taking over the institutions to an unprecedented degree, academic freedom is basically already lost, with most professors & students self-censoring for the sake of retaining their positions or coming through with an actual degree instead of a headache & a broken nose. Maniacs are in charge.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I lost my job because I refused to get vaccinated, went into quite a bit of debt because of it too.

Had to give you a Never Forget, for this one.

We're a dying breed, bro.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Woke company? The company I work for is different. When that whole plandemic hit, a lot of employees were taking 2 weeks off and claiming they were afraid of covid. We hired people to replace them and when they tried to come back, we told them their position had been filled. They were staying home to get that free money. Fck that.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

If I was college-age, these days, I would say eff no and get a trades job like electrician or plumber.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 07:37 PM
link   

College? Fostering environments of suffocating mindless PC agenda? Not accredited universities with a billion dollar endowment. Sorry can't turn off sarcasm.

It's usually all the college kid style protesting that suffocates contentious opinions and sacrifices one free speech to appease the kids in the mall by Humanities Dept crying about something.

I want to take people back to 1994. This move is as prophetic as Idiocracy.

edit on 28-4-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

We're a dying breed, bro.

I'll still outlive the vaccinated.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Woke clients.

I work in VIP protection. The company couldn't be bothered until the client was.

I did tests daily, always had disinfectant spray bottle on my person and kept the stupid mask on for 12 hour shifts.

Did all their shopping which consisted of 2 overflowing carts a day. Sprayed everything as I took it off the shelf, had to wear latex gloves in public.

Back at the residence stop in front of the gate, unpack each individual item, spray it again before someone received it on the other side of the gate.

New gloves for every location. At the shop. At the residence.

What I can tell you is that if you have enough disinfectant, it can clean anything off your driveway and give it it's original look back.

Ungrateful c**** the lot of them, but ultimately their right to choose.

top topics

join