It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Unprecedented' images of Martian Moon Deimos up close and personal

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I want to know why the ancient Greeks names the moons of Mars Phobos and Deimos.
Fear and terror? Of what exactly?

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Richard Hoagland's 'Enterprisemission web site posted pictures from NASA taken around Mars' moon and of earth's moon years ago.Interesting stuff!

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Amazing images! I take it the resulting image is natural colour?

I wonder why Deimos is so smooth, and doesn't look like rubble pile asteroids in the main belt. This article says that the research results show that both Phobos and Deimos came from Mars, that is they are not captured asteroids. spaceref.com...

Would be really cool if HOPE did a close flyby of Phobos as well.
edit on 27-4-2023 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Nirishman
a reply to: gortex

Sorry but that isn't real, more CGI nonsense.

Yes , the top pic is just an artists' conception.
The video contains the real stuff .

The spacecraft took images through various filters, so the top image is a combination of those to create a single colour image. There was some manipulation involved to align everything, but what you see is real, that is it's not an artist's conception. I know because I've done stuff like that myself using spacecraft images.

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
I want to know why the ancient Greeks names the moons of Mars Phobos and Deimos.
Fear and terror? Of what exactly?

Mars is the ancient Greek god of war. Fear and terror obviously accompany war.

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

originally posted by: Gothmog

Sorry but that isn't real, more CGI nonsense.

Yes , the top pic is just an artists' conception.
The video contains the real stuff .

The spacecraft took images through various filters, so the top image is a combination of those to create a single colour image. There was some manipulation involved to align everything, but what you see is real, that is it's not an artist's conception. I know because I've done stuff like that myself using spacecraft images.

Like I stated in my post....

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
They should focus on the moon with an ocean of water under the crust. Maybe life is there.

The European space agency have a mission that launched a couple of weeks ago to do that , it'll take a while to get there though.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Phobos and Deimos were discovered in 1877 by American astronomer Asaph Hall III he gave the Moons their names.

Asaph Hall was about to give up his frustrating search for a Martian moon one August night in 1877, but his wife Angelina urged him on. He discovered Deimos the next night, and Phobos six nights after that.
solarsystem.nasa.gov...#:~:text=Got%20Their%20Names-,How%20Mars%20Moons%20Got%20Their%20Names,fear%20and%20Deimos %20means%20dread.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo
a reply to: Nirishman

Your problem there is that these images are not from NASA.

spaceref.com...

I for one believe they are real, but with a caveat that I don't know at all 100% that they are not AI. I really "want to believe" like Fox Mulders poster behind his work desk in the X Files. My trust of the people sharing things these days has slipped thanks to the blatant lies in our western media outlets. Blatant that make it hard to trust anything from anywhere if I can't touch it myself. Sad to realize we are here...... very sad indeed IMO.

edit on 28-4-2023 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 11:39 AM
link   
How odd they can take these dazzling shots, but still
no verified pictures of our own planet? Tries not to laugh.
edit on 4/28/2023 by MrBlaq because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MrBlaq

This one was taken from a distance of around 18,000 miles by the crew of Apollo 17 on their way to the Moon.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MrBlaq

(Laughing). Seriously? What do you mean by "no verified pictures"?

Not verified by Flat Earthers, maybe?

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I believe the moons Deimos and Phobos are remnant pieces of the fabled Tiamat mentioned in Babylonian creation myths.

Tiamat

“Slicing Tiamat in half, he made from her ribs the vault of heaven and earth. Her weeping eyes became the sources of the Tigris and the Euphrates, her tail became the Milky Way.”

In other words Tiamat was a giant asteroid that clobbered a number of worlds in our solar system.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: lostinspace

In other words Tiamat was a giant asteroid that clobbered a number of worlds in our solar system.

And created our Moon if I remember correctly.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I'm not a flat earther, but it looks like poorly rendered CGI. I would think we have the technology to capture a better image but I honestly have no knowledge of the equipment used

posted on Apr, 29 2023 @ 11:08 AM
link   
As soon as I see it i think Fake!
how can the planet have more detail than the rock?
12 year old kids on home computers can do better.

Go look at other older photos of this rock!
Why did they show this???

edit on 29-4-2023 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2023 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Johnathan Swift wrote about the only two moons of Mars 150 years before their discovery in his work Gulliver’s Travels. He even described their orbital periods which were close to the actual figures.

Phobos’ orbital period is actually 7.6 hours, Swift predicted 10 hours.
Deimos’ orbital period is actually 30.2 hours, Swift predicted 21.5 hours.

I wrote a thread about this a while back.

The Martian moons Phobos and Deimos described 150 years before their discovery

In that thread one poster replied that there was some hidden knowledge passed on from the ancients through secret societies, hence the Tiamat legend. Another poster suggested that Swift obtained this special knowledge from Johannes Kepler’s 1610 memoir, in which Kepler made a good guess upon knowledge passed on by Galileo. The thread has only one page but I recommend reading the comments made by “l_e_cox” and “spacekc929” for more details on their views.

posted on Apr, 29 2023 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Well, once the photo tampering is pointed out With NASA and JPL (as in repeated landscape-cloud overlays, blurring and numerous fishy filters on images claimed to be raw- for instance in the numerous Mars images and faults in landmass sizing and placement in the above Apollo 17 shot, despite the numerous whacky narratives that suck the air from discussions), my lifelong spell was broken.

I used to laugh at the earnest folks claiming that NASA was lying (while admittedly still laughing at some of them who aren't exactly credible and agenda free.. .or unsponsored).

Now I am burning to know why they lie to us ... and on what scale? Can we trust anything beyond what we can see with ground scopes? Can we trust even that? Are there just too many artifacts littering our neighborhood for our tiny brains to handle or does it get weirder, like are we under a high resolution screen in what amounts to a terrarium or something similar?

Seriously, WTF is going on ...really?

posted on Apr, 29 2023 @ 08:08 PM
link   

It is clear as day that it is a computer generated video which NASA admit to doing. It's 2 dudes in a room.

You think that its real? I guess VVB, Disney, Crowley, Parsons and Hubbard did a great job after all.

Dollars to donughts that is a fake image. But I will be content to keep "fooling" my self for now until it all comes out.

You missed the WHOLE CONCEPT of what your eyes were seeing.

Because a computer is used you presume the images are created whereby they are IMPORTED onto the models used in the "simulation" you were seeing.

I did a similar exercise YEARS ago in 2009 using original images consisting of texture maps, specularity maps and bump maps all from original data from the CASSINI PROBE on it's Mars flyby. All applied to simple 3D models and then I created rendered images with an additional background. (another actual image of our sky at night)....

DEIMOS

No magic, just tools and resources and imagination.
edit on 29/4/2023 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

edit on 29/4/2023 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2023 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Seriously, WTF is going on ...really?

Everything Everywhere Always.

Keep up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join