It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing footage of how an octopus defends itself...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
www.ebaumsworld.com...

is this real???

it looks like the octopus went invisible!?!?!?

ENJOY!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
definately weird. are you sure that this isn't some manipulation of the video? how did they know to zoom into the exact right spot for example?

if it is true that is a second new thing learned about octipi in a month. i would like to find a back up source for this. i don't want to be sceptical, but wow invisible octipi like wow.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by drogo
definately weird. are you sure that this isn't some manipulation of the video? how did they know to zoom into the exact right spot for example?

if it is true that is a second new thing learned about octipi in a month. i would like to find a back up source for this. i don't want to be sceptical, but wow invisible octipi like wow.

well its ebaums world...

so...

you know...

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
That is an amazing video. I know octopuses can change color so that they look nearly invisible, and if that video is real it just shows what incredible creatures they are. Here is a pretty good link on the mechanism octopuses use to change colors.

www.susanscott.net...

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac
That is an amazing video. I know octopuses can change color so that they look nearly invisible, and if that video is real it just shows what incredible creatures they are. Here is a pretty good link on the mechanism octopuses use to change colors.

www.susanscott.net...

great info WOS...

wow...

octopuses ARE great creatures...

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   

It does look like its been imaged on in the reverse shot. Keep looking at its eye and it looks more like it was added.

Definatly cool/slightly frightening though... not sure what to look out for when swimming now.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm kinda mostly ok with this.

Our old friend the Octopus (indeed, most if not all of the Celaphods), can change not only their skin colour, but also it's texture.

This bloke chats about it.

The amount of morphing that the one pulls of in the video looks pretty spectacular, but maybe they really can do that much, they really are pretty advanced animals.

Deservedly becoming popular on ATS too !

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
wow i didn't know any of this stuff about octopus. im out of touch

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Octopi can do what was shown in that video.

I saw it on Discovery Channel.

They can't change texture, but the color change is so vivid, it seems textured.

Cool stuff.

[edit on 10-4-2005 by The DeBunker]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It amazes me, what these animals can do. really cool, good for them.

Some say that these are alien animals, including their relatives too.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bombardier
It amazes me, what these animals can do. really cool, good for them.

Some say that these are alien animals, including their relatives too.

I don't know about the alien part, but I do believe they are related to TV remote controls. I can never find that damn thing!

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This isn't quite as cool , but it's another example of an octopus' excellent camoflauging skills!
socrates.berkeley.edu...
socrates.berkeley.edu...
socrates.berkeley.edu...
socrates.berkeley.edu...

EDIT: Added more videos. Enjoy!

[edit on 4/10/2005 by Lenina]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Yes an octapus' ability at color change is the most amazing thing to see......

I saw a PBS show once, about octapi in a study facility. At night somehow the crabs were dissappearing from the crab tanks......this kept happening, so they set up cameras to SEE what was up with this. The footage shows the octapus waiting for the peole to leave, then climbs out of its tank. Squeezes under the door, and goes on down the hall ans under the door of the crab 'room' and them accross the floor and up and into the crab tank for a snack. When full it would then repeat this process to return to its own tank.....sittin there all innocent like when yhe humans return in the am.
These creatures are incredibly smart, its humbleing...........

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
Yes an octapus' ability at color change is the most amazing thing to see......

I saw a PBS show once, about octapi in a study facility. At night somehow the crabs were dissappearing from the crab tanks......this kept happening, so they set up cameras to SEE what was up with this. The footage shows the octapus waiting for the peole to leave, then climbs out of its tank. Squeezes under the door, and goes on down the hall ans under the door of the crab 'room' and them accross the floor and up and into the crab tank for a snack. When full it would then repeat this process to return to its own tank.....sittin there all innocent like when yhe humans return in the am.
These creatures are incredibly smart, its humbleing...........

what!?!?!?

thats amazing!!!

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
For a while now, I've been wondering that since the human embryo supposedly passes through the stages of fish, reptile etc, when will it be that the nerve skills of octopus that cause it to camouflage so well, can be installed into humans.
I mean, we're 'pratting' about with human manipulation now, (although the media are restrained from reporting it, I know, I work in the newspaper industry) and I am pondering when this 'freakish' gift will come to pass.

Who knows, Dolly the sheep, now you see her...

Urn

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
that has to be fake......sure they can change colours, but i'm pretty sure octipi don't have the ability to make their eyes disapear like that....
it's eye completely vanished and took the shape of sea weed??

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
OK. I saw the clip of octopi walking on two limbs a week or so ago. I read the opening post by They See All and thought: Oh, this is going to show something like the cuttle fish cannging colors fast and morphing little spikes on there skin. Everybody has seen that a million times if you ever watch any Discovery Channel.

So I click on the link and DL the clip, open it up and Holy Snikies Batman! That was the wildest thing I have ever saw an octopus do. The walking on two tentacle thing was pretty cool. Hell, I have even seen them squeez themselves into a glass coke bottle through a hole no bigger than a quarter. I knew they were capable of some pretty amazing stuff, but if this vid is legit, well, I think we should give these animals a much closer scientific look. Characteristics of morphing to that degree with that much speed is unheard of.

Anyway, I dont know what to make of it. It seems like it could be real, but its almost to well camoed to be real......So who knows?

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
OK. I saw the clip of octopi walking on two limbs a week or so ago. I read the opening post by They See All and thought: Oh, this is going to show something like the cuttle fish cannging colors fast and morphing little spikes on there skin. Everybody has seen that a million times if you ever watch any Discovery Channel.

So I click on the link and DL the clip, open it up and Holy Snikies Batman! That was the wildest thing I have ever saw an octopus do. The walking on two tentacle thing was pretty cool. Hell, I have even seen them squeez themselves into a glass coke bottle through a hole no bigger than a quarter. I knew they were capable of some pretty amazing stuff, but if this vid is legit, well, I think we should give these animals a much closer scientific look. Characteristics of morphing to that degree with that much speed is unheard of.

Anyway, I dont know what to make of it. It seems like it could be real, but its almost to well camoed to be real......So who knows?

glad to hear you like it

i would like to see more of these vids myself...

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Squids can change color too. I saw some show about them that showed them during a mating season and they would flash different colors so fast it looked like they were blinking.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Ah, I've seen that video before. Yes, the octopus is truly a master of disguise. THey ahve very specialized skin, and a 'very advanced' nervous system to control and process all the relevant information.

Notice that its actually a multi-tiered defense system (in the audio of the special this clip is a short from they explain this). First its camoflauged. Then, when teh threat (the cameraman-diver) still won't go away, it 'reveals' itself suddenly and frighteningly, making this 'ghost face', with the big black dot in the center to scare of the enemy. Finally, when that doesn't work, it take flight, leaving the oil screen behind too.

Supposedly these creatures can also figure out jars with screw lids, they'll open them up to get at whats inside.

Originally posted by IronMan
For a while now, I've been wondering that since the human embryo supposedly passes through the stages of fish, reptile etc, when will it be that the nerve skills of octopus that cause it to camouflage so well, can be installed into humans.

This used to be encapsulated in the phrase 'Ontogeny recapitulate phylogeny' in biology. That development of the individual replays the development of the species. The idea was made popular thru Ernsy Haeckle, a german biologist who was around when Darwin was.
Its not actually true tho. Humans, for example, don't have gills when they are embryos. What they do have are called 'pharyngeal pouches'. They can also be called 'gill slits', but there's no respitory organs like in fish. They are something of a feature that developed in the phylogenetic history of the species and that is 'retained' in the development of the individual organism.
Whats even weirder is what happens to those pharyngeal pouches.
They seperate and become your arms and shoulder girdle, your adams apple and throat structures (not spine tho) and your lower jaw.

Anyway, a person doesn't repeat these early histories, and the octopus group probably branched off the human line before haveing these abilities anyway. Infact, if i recall correctly, the octopus even developed its eyes independently of the rest of the animal kingdom (tho I am not as to how much of a 'base' they started off with for that).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join