It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AI Death Panels: Algorithms Are Denying Care for Medicare Advantage Patients

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Yeah, using AI algorithms to justify denying claims. Love it.

Good to know what they are doing with this Medicare Advantage crap. Someone needs a good suing over this. I swear there is a coordinated effort to off you as soon as you get old so that they don't have to pay out on all that money they taxed you on over the years.

www.breitbart.com...

AI continues to become integrated into various industries, its impact on the healthcare sector is starting to become apparent. A recent investigation by STAT has revealed that AI’s influence on Medicare Advantage insurers may be driving denials to unprecedented levels, affecting millions of older Americans who rely on the taxpayer-funded program.

Doctors and medical administrators report that Medicare Advantage payment denials for services that are regularly covered by traditional Medicare are happening more frequently. Insurers like UnitedHealthcare and others claim they discuss a patient’s care with providers before denial, however, many service providers claim that when they ask for explanations, they are met with blank looks and denials of their requests for more details.

“They say, ‘That’s proprietary,'” said Amanda Ford, who facilitates access to rehabilitation services for patients following inpatient stays at Lowell General Hospital in Massachusetts. “It’s always that canned response: ‘The patient can be managed in a lower level of care.'”

The lack of regulation and oversight of these predictive algorithms raises concerns about the impact on patient care and treatment access. As the influence of these tools continues to grow, the precise role they play in insurers’ decisions remains opaque. This raises important questions about the ethical use of AI in healthcare and the potential consequences for vulnerable patients who depend on Medicare for their medical needs.

Denied by AI: How Medicare Advantage plans use algorithms to cut off care for seniors in need

www.statnews.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I wonder if insurance company "HUMANa" ironically uses AI 😁

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Before the ACA was even passed Obama was stumping for it and said something to the effect that instead of getting Grandma a new hip a cane might be a better option when considering the age and monetary factor. I knew then that the gov. planned to take over total control of who gets what treatment.

I had surgery under an Advantage plan and the copays were horrendous. $680.00 just for one months PT. Prescribed another med for pain control since the first one didn't come close to controlling it, but had to wait two weeks for approval-or as for an expedited review, which takes 72 hours.

All told, my 'affordable' plan cost over $1,500.00 in copays in the first six weeks; not a good place for a senior to be in.

Worst two months imaginable, and I couldn't wait to get off the Med Advantage plan. It's great for people without health issues; it's ruinous for anybody else.

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 07:16 PM
link   

It appears if we are on our own when we are old.

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I dunno. All I can report is my own experience being on Medicare Advantage via Kaiser Permanente, formerly Group Health, an HMO. Take my experience however you want. I had an operation for color-rectal cancer two years ago which included a "re-section' of the colon. This included about 4 days hospital, and almost 3 weeks in a very nice "rehab" center getting my act together so I could walk again, etc. I have no complaints about my care. I was 71 at the time. I'm not judging here, just telling you my experience. I paid into Medicare since it started, about 40 years or so.

Total Cost: $250,000 as listed
Total Paid out: $25,000 and marked "paid in full."
Total Copay: $2,500.
Total monthly premium: $28.00 per month

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Probably before AI

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Why is this like the beginning of a dystopian science fiction novel? I hope the US doesn't follow Canada: Are Canadians being driven to assisted suicide by poverty or healthcare crisis?

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 12:05 AM
link   
But notice how the algos won't recommend offing the elites when they're over 100. Seems legit.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Definitely smells a bit fishy mate - here's more on 'death panels' from famed psycho George Bernard Shaw (Gates also pops up).

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: WatchinforJesus

Why is this like the beginning of a dystopian science fiction novel? I hope the US doesn't follow Canada: Are Canadians being driven to assisted suicide by poverty or healthcare crisis?

Of course it is! To think otherwise would be foolish.

It will become like transgenderism: everyone will be entitled to kill themselves at government expense, even little children without their parents knowledge or consent.

Canada now allows anyone, for any reason at all, just a request, to be painlessly "put down" like a dog in a clinic and disposed of.

Depressed? Canada has a cure, they'll gladly kill you and put you out of your misery. What teenager can possibly live after their boy/girlfriend dumps them?

Poor? Canada has a quick fix, they'll gladly kill you and you are no longer living in poverty.

Sick? Canada has a great alternative for pain relief, they'll put you out of your misery for free, even if you are curable and encourage this compassionate and thoughtful method of pain relief, a painless compassionate death.

That is Canada today and will be the USA tomorrow, it is inevitable with compassionate, all wise, with eminently superior intellectual capabilities, and all knowing liberals in charge of the government.

The US government already has thrown out "do not lie" as it teaches little tiny children to lie and deceive their parents if they are transitioning at school.

Of course, "do not kill" is next along with it's companion MD oath "do no harm", Canada has thrown these out already.

The US government has thrown out "do not steal" in CA where you can steal up to $999 worth of items and get no more than a parking ticket for stealing.

The moral code of the US and Canada more and more closely represent Christophobia and Anti-Semitism, if it is forbidden in the bible, then the US government and Canadian government must make it legal to do and encourage citizens to engage in it.

edit on 3/17/23 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Turns out "grandma" (my darling wife) needs hip replacement surgery, it's scheduled for April. Obama can take that cane and stuff it. I knew ACA was a disaster waiting to happen.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I have a coworker who lost her grandfather to something like this.

Active, sharp 90+ years old. He fell and broke his neck. He seriously crushed the vertebrae that regulates the diaphragm (ok, protects those nerves). Hospital stabilized him with a brace. Neurosurgeon did a Steven Strange consult on his x-ray to pass on surgery and the fun began.

He needed to be kept 100%stable to heal. Any jarring blow would shear the vertebrae, crush the spinal cord and suffocate him. Hospital kicks him out the same day he goes in to low level assisted living! They try to deny him because he needs what they can't provide.

It was terrible and he ended up in the wrong facility undermanaged and ended up completely breaking his neck a out 5 days later and suffocating.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

It appears if we are on our own when we are old.

What makes you think it is just when you are old? A strong, multigenerational family unit would smooth some of those concerns. But when have we ever had that kind of setup?

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Billies, it has always been possible to die on a whim.

Suicide is nothing new. I think the COTUS should adopt the Roman method and make it fashionable for public leaders to neck themselves.

Come to think of it a global system of leadership suicide could probably solve some issues.

Chuck in a little knifing in the senate and question time becomes a little more appealing.

a reply to: The2Billies

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax
Billies, it has always been possible to die on a whim.

Suicide is nothing new. I think the COTUS should adopt the Roman method and make it fashionable for public leaders to neck themselves.

Come to think of it a global system of leadership suicide could probably solve some issues.

Chuck in a little knifing in the senate and question time becomes a little more appealing.

a reply to: The2Billies

True suicide is always possible.

However, it is a new morality that eschews traditional morality, being forced on the populace, that says the government should kill people whenever they request they be killed, for no reason other than they want to be killed.

It is telling that liberals call this compassion,
to have the government kill depressed people
to have the government kill poor people
to have the government kill people in pain
simply because the person wants it at the moment.

Canada has gone one step further that it's health system is recommending to people that they allow the government to kill them if the person says they can't wait to see a doctor to help them because the wait is so very long in Canada. nypost.com...

This is the new morality of the liberals. One that embraces a death culture and having the government support the killing of people simply to end emotional pain or because they cost the health care system too much money.

We all have to live with the new improved morality of liberalism now. Killing people who are poor if they request it is far better than helping them not to be poor. Lovely new set of morals courtesy of the liberals.

I like your idea of suggesting that politicians hang themselves in public forums who want to be euthanized, this will show the masses that government killing people is a great thing, through their example.

edit on 3/17/23 by The2Billies because: addition

join