It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have FAITH in God?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Is it having faith in the Father, or what is your faith in the Father?

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Do you have FAITH in God?

Trying for at least the faith of a mustard seed.....

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: ltrz2025
We might regard them as alternatives, rather than opposites.

Let's take a different example; Salvation by faith and salvation by works.
You might say salvation by works is the opposite of salvation by faith.
Cole Younger might say that not being saved at all is the opposite of salvation by faith.
I'm trying to mediate between the two of you so that we might understand one another instead of biting each other's hands off.

Your mental juggling is somewhat funny, I like that friend. :-D

But, no need to meddle, and actually you just proved me right.

Although these forms of "salvations" you talk about are subjective concepts (not absolute like Knowledge, Faith or Salvation itself), if someone states that "Salvation by faith" is the opposite of "Salvation by works", then they are opposites, because the two terms cancel each other in that specific logic-language game (read the works of Ludwig Von Wittgenstein on the matter).

If Cole Younger, or however, says that not being saved at all is the opposite of "salvation by faith", then, in his subjective logic-language game, those two terms cancel each other, making them opposite too.

You got confused because you jumped from absolute to subjective without noticing it. However, they are both language-logic games.

In the absolute one, the rules are set by the dictionary. In the subjective one, the rules are set by the proponents.

Again. Knowledge cancels Faith, therefore, they are opposites. And these are absolutes, no subjectivity here.

edit on 8-2-2023 by ltrz2025 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge

By your wet and dry examples, time does not exist. One can in fact dry something that is wet and wet something that is dry.

Should someone examine the items at different times, they could conclued both are in fact wet or both dry depending on when they checked.

originally posted by: ketsuko

Define dry. Define wet.

How many molecules of water makes a dry thing wet, and how many molecules of water must cease to be present before a thing is dry? Are they really opposites as many otherwise dry powders have moisture content.

Sorry guys, I'm trying to find an inch of logic and coherence in your posts, but I can't find any. I'll try to answer what I think I can though:

- Something cannot be wet and dry at the same time. We even have names for such ridiculousness: it's an oxy-moron... it's a fallacy by nature. Something can transition from wet to dry, or dry to wet, but these states cancel each other.

- Wet doesn't mean that something contains water, or moisture. Wet means that something is SATURATED with water. They are two different things. If something feels dry to the touch, then you don't say it's wet. Surely people have subjectivities, for a person the limit between dry-wet is different than for others. But still, he/she, would not define the same thing as wet and dry at the same time, unless it's a psychotic person.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 06:40 PM
link   

What do you think dessicant packets are for in products if dry is dry? My husband points out that the freeze-dried products will have detectable 2 to 4% moisture; what do you think the moisture is? The EU standard is no more than 5%.

There is more water locked up in the crust of the earth than in the oceans. Is the crust dry or wet?

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Yeshua is his name, not Jesus.

Jesus comes from the Greek translation .

Faith in God? As in the creator? Yes I do.

Faith in the book about him? No I don't. The book is plagerised from several older works and mistranslated many times.

There was no Jesus simply because 2000 years ago the letter J had not been invented.

A person sometime in history that may heve been the personification of God? Possibly. But he was not the son of Zeus, the literal translation of the word Jesus.

I also think the book of Revelations is a distorted account of the fall of last civilization before this one and not what is to come.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

What do you think dessicant packets are for in products if dry is dry? My husband points out that the freeze-dried products will have detectable 2 to 4% moisture; what do you think the moisture is? The EU standard is no more than 5%.

There is more water locked up in the crust of the earth than in the oceans. Is the crust dry or wet?

HAHAHA, you crack me up. These funny mental puzzles like: "Which came first, the egg or the chicken?", makes me laugh so hard. Thanks for the laughs Ketsuko, I get you!

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Faith as a subject that can only be examined fully without the constriction of doctrine.

But since the OP has described a specific manifestation of faith, namely faith in the Christian God, it bears restating specifically.

Faith in its true manifestation does not require proof, such questions are specifically the domain of the non-faithful who must challenge that which they do not possess. As the author Khalil Gibran said, “Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof.”

Faith is a virtue among a family of related virtues; faith, hope, charity and love. Any calling to faith seems to embrace all these other virtues in some meaningful way which cannot be simply cast aside.

Christian faith is distinct in its philosophy in that it seems a kind of blending of both agape and eros. Two early concepts about the human drive towards beauty and goodness. But in the end the real question resolves into the idea that faith is not about a "willingness" to believe... the willingness is incidental... faith itself exists outside of a decision-making process. Not that everyone feels that way.... it just seems faith is more of a 'state' to me than an 'action.'

I wish I could list the endless human efforts to work out this 'mystery' of the human condition, but there is only so much time and 'space' in which we operate... and no one I know can stand to listen to me jabber away for that long. The Christian bible is a good place to see how this element of faith contributes to human life... but it is certainly not the only text to embody that effort... not by a long shot.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

Faith in the book about him? No I don't. The book is plagerised from several older works and mistranslated many times.

There was no Jesus simply because 2000 years ago the letter J had not been invented.

A person sometime in history that may heve been the personification of God? Possibly. But he was not the son of Zeus, the literal translation of the word Jesus.

I also think the book of Revelations is a distorted account of the fall of last civilization before this one and not what is to come.

Yeshua, the horned god of the Canaanites? The Canaanites being the enemy the Israelites wiped out in a genocidel war for their land.

Would you like to try again?
edit on 2 8 2023 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Ok....

His name is Yeshua bar Yosef.

Is that better?

Yeshua, the horned god of the Canaanites? The Canaanites being the enemy the Israelites wiped out in a genocidel war for their land.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Your contention is that wet and dry are opposites. They aren't. They are a matter of degree in reality.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Ok....

His name is Yeshua bar Yosef.

Is that better?

Same horned god name origen, longer name. Go back another few thousand years.
edit on 2 8 2023 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

Khalil Gibran said, “Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof.”

This here. This is why I can say that I have had experiences that prove God exists, but I also know that it won't matter to anyone else really. Those are experiences personal to me, and only I will relate to them as absolute proof of God. My words are inadequate to the experience.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Despite your repeated claims that you're a master linguist, you don't seem to understand the meaning of "opposite". You've stated half a dozen times that 'faith' is the opposite of 'knowledge'.

It isn't. The opposite of knowledge is ignorance. You also keep insisting that if you have knowledge, you don't need faith.
Here's an example that easily refutes your claim:

If you have a trusted friend that you've known for a long time, and they promise to pick you up and drive you somewhere at 9:00, you fully believe that they will. You have faith in them.

I have faith that there is a God, a Creator, because I have seen a preponderance of evidence that convinced me God is real. So, it's not ignorance on my part, it's quite the opposite. I was actually quite skeptical when I was younger, and I didn't arrive at my conclusions through ignorance.

Many people smarter than me believe in a God.

There are scientists with 160+ I.Q.s that believe in God, a creator. Physicists, mathematicians, biologists... I certainly wouldn't call them ignorant. On the contrary, they're very logical, rational, and skeptical.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

I already told you,” Jesus replied, “but you did not believe. The works I do in My Father’s name testify on My behalf. But because you are not My sheep, you refuse to believe. My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them out of My hand.My Father who has given them to Me is greater than all. No one can snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you had known Me, you would know My Father as well. From now on you do know Him and have seen Him.”

Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.”

Jesus replied, “Philip, I have been with you all this time, and still you do not know Me? Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words I say to you, I do not speak on My own. Instead, it is the Father dwelling in Me, performing His works. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me—or at least believe on account of the works themselves.

Truly, truly, I tell you, whoever believes in Me will also do the works that I am doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in My name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Med for anything in My name, I will do it.

If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot receive Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you do know Him, for He abides with you and will be in you.

I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. In a little while the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you. Whoever has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. The one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and reveal Myself to him.”

“Lord, why are You going to reveal Yourself to us and not to the world?”

Jesus replied, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. Whoever does not love Me does not keep My words. The word that you hear is not My own, but it is from the Father who sent Me.

All this I have spoken to you while I am still with you. 26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you.

The Word Became Flesh
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.

6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. 8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.

9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I believe in god, just not organized religion so much anymore. My view is that god is the collective consciousness of everything that exists...which has great power derived from that consciousness at it's disposal. God would be an entity, not a person, god could even be a plant as far as I know, and the earth would be like a single ion in that entity. Our planet also probably has it's own collective consciousness of all life on it, which would be a tiny part of god...sort of like a single cell in our body, it is not really god, just a tiny cell of it.

Seen some really strange stuff in my life and even though I love science, it cannot explain a lot of what I see. I think if more people followed the commandments like though shall not kill, though shall not steal, and though shall not bear false witness against others, we would have a way better life on earth. Remember, collective consciousness does not just include Humans, even a microbe has consciousness.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Hi

God communicates with his children through visions and dreams. It is personal between God and his child and not for anyone else unless he specifically says so. God's children can see what is allowed through the Holy Spirit and is different for each of us.

Those that dont believe or mock God are not given this gift.

I believe you and other God fearing people who say they have seen (holy apparitions) in the spiritual world and I believe those who mock God have seen unholy things too, only what they see are shown to them what Satan and his minions show them.

originally posted by: rickymouse
I believe in god, just not organized religion so much anymore. My view is that god is the collective consciousness of everything that exists...which has great power derived from that consciousness at it's disposal. God would be an entity, not a person, god could even be a plant as far as I know, and the earth would be like a single ion in that entity. Our planet also probably has it's own collective consciousness of all life on it, which would be a tiny part of god...sort of like a single cell in our body, it is not really god, just a tiny cell of it.

Seen some really strange stuff in my life and even though I love science, it cannot explain a lot of what I see. I think if more people followed the commandments like though shall not kill, though shall not steal, and though shall not bear false witness against others, we would have a way better life on earth. Remember, collective consciousness does not just include Humans, even a microbe has consciousness.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer
Ahh! Josephus! Didn’t take long for him to rear his head. I think it is generally accepted in academia that Josephus has several authors and some added later such as In just 127 words Josephus confirms everything – now that is a miracle!

BUT WAIT A MINUTE ...

Not a single writer before the 4th century – not Justin, Irenaeus, Clement of Alexandria, Tertullian, Cyprian, Arnobius, etc. – in all their defences against pagan hostility, makes a single reference to Josephus’ wondrous words.

The third century Church 'Father' Origen, for example, spent half his life and a quarter of a million words contending against the pagan writer Celsus. Origen drew on all sorts of proofs and witnesses to his arguments in his fierce defence of Christianity. He quotes from Josephus extensively. Yet even he makes no reference to this 'golden paragraph' from Josephus, which would have been the ultimate rebuttal. In fact, Origen actually said that Josephus was "not believing in Jesus as the Christ."

Origen did not quote the 'golden paragraph' because this paragraph had not yet been written.

It was absent from early copies of the works of Josephus and did not appear in Origen's third century version of Josephus, referenced in his Contra Celsum.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

Despite your repeated claims that you're a master linguist, you don't seem to understand the meaning of "opposite". You've stated half a dozen times that 'faith' is the opposite of 'knowledge'.

It isn't. The opposite of knowledge is ignorance. You also keep insisting that if you have knowledge, you don't need faith.

I have faith that there is a God, a Creator, because I have seen a preponderance of evidence that convinced me God is real. So, it's not ignorance on my part, it's quite the opposite. I was actually quite skeptical when I was younger, and I didn't arrive at my conclusions through ignorance. Many people smarter than me believe in a God.

Completely missed my point, pal.

Faith is the opposite of knowledge, because Faith is another word for IGNORANCE. You only have Faith, that is you "trust", when you don't have knowledge. If you have the knowledge of something, then you know IT IS THERE. You don't need to trust or have faith.

I explained this before, go back to my posts and it's there.

I don't believe in God. I KNOW there is a God.

I'm no atheist and I don't need faith, or trust.

edit on 9-2-2023 by ltrz2025 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 12:14 PM
link   
sometimes i let my mind wander and ponder the possibilities of a so called higher being ,
call it " God " if you wish ,
an entity who resides in all 12 dimensions at the same time,
an all seeing and knowing reflection of what was , what is and whats to be ,
a being who exist in the realms sober minds wont reach,
this entity likes to play games with thous who seeks its attention,

A block universe of Job with Dr Manhattan as its game master ,
The closer you get to it the more likely youll get burned like Icaros who lost its wings.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join