It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Targeted postcode, zip code political advertising to your app enabled devices.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The Labour Party in Victoria have started targeting devices in Richmond Victoria.

This calls into question how are they gaining access to residents in these postcodes i.p addresses to force target political advertising? On their devices.

This is really concerning if telecommunications companies are selling lists of up addresses in set postcodes.

Jnsure on how else this could be done.

Does any one have any info on how this is done.

It’s briefly mentioned in the 3rd paragraph in the story.

www.theage.com.au... sh=true

edit on 11-11-2022 by robsmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: robsmith
Yes, it's about smart TV with advertising enabled by default. Manufacturers and TV stations (probably other's too) can then use that advertising space.

Just turn it off in the privacy settings, problem solved. Most people do anyways. I know my SAMSUNG did that backstabbing with the advertisement and collecting data on me, until I googled "Why is my TV giving me ads without watching TV" and found out I now am supposed to deactivate it (the advertisement function).

Makes sense because people would never download such crap to their smart TV voluntary.

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 12:54 AM
link   

This will be among those things political parties will spend their money on henceforth.

The capability and practical application of algorithmically targeting profiles users is the 'value' in "monetization." What you click, who you respond to, what 'news' you linger on, cookies and trackers, provide the means to isolate all potential users for the use of those with access to the stream.

I'm sorry to say, this is not going away by itself.

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

I'm afraid privacy is an illusion on the internet. Flipping a virtual switch means they are responsible if they are ever caught; it doesn't mean they'll get caught using or selling your data.

Since oversight is the purview of the industry itself (and those from the industry politically appointed to perform oversight) we may never get a fair shake at changing it.

I mean it's nice to think that by alerting someone to my "preference" of to not be tracked; but it's no guarantee that it will be honored - the collectors enjoy too many ways to legally justify data collection for "in-house" uses (research, government cooperation, 'quality of service,' et. al.)

Those dialogue boxes promising "privacy" are cute... but they are just dialogue boxes. Encryption will stop YOU from reading private info..., not them - ever.
edit on 11/12/2022 by Maxmars because: formatting - dang it!

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars
I am fairly inept when it comes to computer stuff, I am advancing but I consider myself a DAU. Translate: dumbest user to expect, someone that will find a way to mess things up because no one expected someone being that dumb.

The secret word here is: IPTABLES. It's the mechanism behind firewalls. These tables tell your router what the devices connected to can do. Most routers run on linux so you can SSH in most of the times and set them up yourself, even if the browser interface does not give you the option.

Simply TCPdump everything from that device for half a day and then you go in with IPTABLES on your router and block everything, gradually unblock. That's how I got my TV not to find any updates, it has no findeable internet connection but Netflix and the rest of the stuff works because I did not block these ports.

It's kind of frustrating that one has to go to such lengths and sure not many are willing to look into things to solve such a problem but it is doable. Unless someone here tells me there are ways to circumvent the IPTABLES, but I think they are set in stone?

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Though it’s breaching on big brother tech. Next they will target individuals.

How many households have hey google or Alexa.

It’s already proven they spy even when I think they are inactive.

I look at if this way. If I am too lazy to turn on a light or see who is at my door, and usevyech to do this for me then I should be dead.

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 01:29 AM
link   

It is sad that... my biggest fear is when the industry lobbies propose legislation to criminalize users manipulating the devices operating in their own homes. And their 17,000-word user agreements include stipulations - not to empower them to take and use your data (sell it mostly) - but instead the contract disempower users from taking matters into their own hands.

It appears the only intellectual property lawmakers are interested in protecting are the lobbyists' employers.

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Agreed it is not. This is why we need a revolution! To disconnect, and don’t allow these wankers into our lives for their gain.

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 01:33 AM
link   

I don't blame people for believing the marketing of these devices. I blame the liars who use the law as an all-to-willing shield... and the hypocrisy of the people's choices for government representatives.

Just because I want tech for whatever purpose, doesn't mean I rightly become the tech-maker's bitch. I want the law to agree with me... they don't.

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Totally agree, as each day passes the powers that be are chipping away at our basic human rights.

Their defence being you accepted our 20 thousand page terms and conditions agreement.

Then people complain.

I have a fully wired home with fibre to most rooms. Though I don’t have smart lights, alexa or google.

I refuse!
ability to turn on and off all my devices, answer my door, it’s called get off my butt and do it.

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 01:40 AM
link   

They won’t as they know they can and will use it against you.

As the comedian from watchmen states:

It's a joke. It's all a ****in' joke.

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Google or Alexa... not for me. After a water damage in our flat, I originally wanted to have something like that installed since some electric wires had to be redone too. But with local speech processing, homebrew by someone who done it for himself. In the end I gave up on it because I saw more work for me than the thing making our day easier.

On the other hand, when done right and in the right amounts, it can really help getting the trivial things sorted. For example my car will ask me if it should de-ice or prewarm itself when it detects frozen windshield on a winter morning. This gives me a more harmonic morning, because I never have to worry about scratching ice or freezing my butt off.

I have more examples. The question is, what metadata are we prioritizing to keep private? Is it a secret that a person that works has to drive to work in the morning? Is it a secret where I work? That's what my car knows in that case. These are trivial every day information that can be found out by almost anyone, things I can hardly hide.

Yet there will be people not agreeing with it, at the same time, have their whole life posted on FB, including where they went to pre-school, with whom, what kindergarten, the hobbies, how the bedroom looks from inside....

Since we can't escape, we at least can set priorities for ourselves. And I question the priorities of many people that take offense in such things. Sure, it should always be the user's decision and able to be deactivated completely, though.

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 02:08 AM
link   
That was the biggest concern a family member had too. Just that it was about software running on computers. I think it is called Trusted Computing or something like that. You can not execute code that was not signed by Microsoft, similar to your example, you can not make changes to the device that are excluded from the user agreement. Or at least loose warranty doing it.

It's already integrated into the device you now use, if you use a computer that isn't 10+ years old, I was told, many parts inside have the chip needed. It's just not turned on yet.

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Targeted postcode, zip code political advertising to your app enabled devices.

Everything is a product to be bought and sold. That includes information.

That's capitalism....what did you think would happen?

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Yep. And! TPTB own all the IPs, satellites, towers etc.

Fight forever with DuckDuckGo, "onion" providers, VPNs.

It doesn't matter how much you think you got covered...THEY.OWN.ALL.THE.STUFF.

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Yep. And! TPTB own all the IPs, satellites, towers etc.

Fight forever with DuckDuckGo, "onion" providers, VPNs.

It doesn't matter how much you think you got covered...THEY.OWN.ALL.THE.STUFF.

Not just the powers that be....

And truth be told, any halfassed 16yr old hacker with a laptop and a working knowledge of Tor can access almost any information he/she wants. Even HIPPA has been compromised. What a boon the the insurance providers, eh?

One irony I find exciting is that "online security" apps, sell your personal information as well.

It's a brave new world, isn't it big brother?
edit on 12-11-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Touche" my friend. All those "DO YOU AGREE" crap notes we agree to, we dont read it. I dont think the average person has any real idea how many log ins, where, when, not signed in etc, unclosed sessions...and add work, food Kiosks, gas stations. stores, clinics with your card, etc.....

We think we're safe? Even TOR......no matter. THESE GUYS OWN THE STUFF!! Security is an illusion to make us feel "secure". Its not real.

Computers? And to think...anything "secure" you can do...and then bury, hide, lock down etc.....it doesnt matter how much you spend.

When you build your whatever-security, VPN...use TOR....hey. Guess what? After all that....youre gonna have to use their stuff to even get out and up.....and then we'd think "nah...as they transfer my stuff...they cant see or read or log it!'

Fools. False. Your personal info is everywhere, and your kids, job, house address and bank.
edit on 11225830America/ChicagoSat, 12 Nov 2022 19:56:58 -060056202200000058 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Your message is bitter truth.

I have often told people - who never seem to take me too seriously - The internet was built from the ground up for SHARING data; not hiding it. All these extra layers imposed upon your traffic are vulnerable - every single one.

Besides, if you really have secrets on your computer - it shouldn't be on-line - ever (just for starters.)

posted on Nov, 12 2022 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger
Security always depends on the demand. There's no real use for a VPN for the normal user that really has nothing to hide other than bank details and such.

A proper VPN, what I have been using the last weeks to use my workstation at home as the workhorse and remote desktop into it as well as the server in my shop, will absolutely hide your traffic 100%. But VPNs are not about hiding primary. People also use them to secure access to their networks. I use OpenVPN with a mobile router and a glas fiber one in my home and shop. And when I dump the packets on any of the two routers I use, the only thing I can see is the target IP of my dedicated VPN server and the ports used. That's all.

Could a three letter agency in theory look into my VPN, live? Well maybe if they happen to be able to decrypt it. I don't really care, as do most. But then I am only trying to hide from my ISP because it's a local one and I know people working there. It's none of their business what's going down in my mediocre comics.

posted on Nov, 13 2022 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I have been aware of this for years, the data a device gathers is more valuable than the device, because the company google etc did not pay for it, so all data is a potential profit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join