It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Boost for Superstitious: Sun to Darken on Day of Pope's Funeral

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Although it will be dark in Italy, there will be a rare hybrid eclipse of the sun on Friday, the day of the funeral for Pope John Paul II. Historically, eclipses have been interpreted, in the minds of many, as harbingers of cataclysmic events. Scientists assure us that this eclipse is purely natural and has been predicted for a long time.

story.news.yahoo.com
Those who say eclipses herald history-shaping events will find support for their superstition when, on Friday, the Sun will be briefly plunged into darkness on the day of Pope John Paul II's funeral.

Astronomers, though, say the eclipse, while of a rare and intriguing type, was calculated long ago and is simply part of a ballet in celestial physics between the Sun, Earth and Moon.

It will be visible on Friday along an arc ranging from the southwestern Pacific to South America, at a time it will already be night in Rome.

The event will be a rare type called a "hybrid eclipse," expert Fred Espenak says on his website (sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov...).

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have only witnessed one near total eclipse in my life and, I have to admit, it was a very eerie experience, for reasons I'm not sure I can adequately explain. I'll never forget it. However, for those who are prone to see religious figures in or on everything from window glass to bathroom doors to grilled cheese sandwiches, an eclipse on the day of the funeral of, arguably, the most popular and accomplished Pope in history is bound to create a stir. I, for one, will be watching for extreme reactions from those who don't keep up with astronomical events or read ATSNN.

[edit on 05/4/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Just to stir the pot, wasn't JPII also born on the day of an eclipse? It doesn't necessarily mean anything of course (and if it did mean anything you'd almost have to be a believer in astrology, because we know that the eclipse is a fixed event, meaning that if there is a correlation beyond coincidence it must be that events conform to the skies and not the other way around.)

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Yes he was born on an eclipse and the papal prophecies of Malachi call him De labore Solis which can translate as "Of the Solar Eclipse." This prophecy was made around 1139 - 1140 AD.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Does it matter that the solar eclipse is a natural phenomenon like death?

I sure hope no crows fly into the Vatican on that day- bad omen

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I had never heard of this individual or his prophesy, so I find it very interesting how similar the prophesies seem to be to the reality. Of course, we are all subject to selective perception and often the relevance of events is imposed by the interpreter.

For those who are interested, an explanation of the prophesies of Malachy can be found here.

It will be interesting if the next pope is of the Order of Saint Benedict, but, of course, I'm sure all 117 cardinals involved in the election process are well aware of the prophesies and their implications.

[edit on 05/4/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I never believed the St. Malachy prophecies .... but upon reading this
article I am now leaning toward believing them. Born during an eclipse,
buried on an eclipse .. laborer of the sun. Yep. I'm starting to think that
St. Malachy was right and we have only two popes until the end of time.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Oh, yes...a prophecy for the end of time that the same faith also would deny based on scriptural comments about not knowing the day or time.......

Hey, it's not like he DIED on the day of the eclipse....the funeral was put on that date...it's not like they couldn't have found an excuse to change the day that they'd do the thing on.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jlc163
Oh, yes...a prophecy for the end of time that the same faith also would deny based on scriptural comments about not knowing the day or time.......

Hey, it's not like he DIED on the day of the eclipse....the funeral was put on that date...it's not like they couldn't have found an excuse to change the day that they'd do the thing on.

Ummmm why do you bother to comment on things you don't make sense about or know anything of??? A prophecy for the end of time that the same faith would also deny you say??? LOL..nobody is denying nothing..but nobody really cares to read the doctrines of the Va either, so what are you talking about deny?? um obviously....but he chose to have his funeral process last 9 days long, and I thought to myself, why did he pick that number?? is it because of the 9 chakras(remembering the picture of the shiva priestess who blessed his forehead when he went to india), or because he knew that in 9 days after his death it would happen, and made this decision as one of his last requests..He did decide how this was to be carried though. Why change the day? this benefits the church into gaining more fellowship! It also empowers the west's battle against the communist nations with their enforced atheistic approach towards human rights.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
The eclipse wont even be visible in Rome so wheres the relevance? Not that an eclipse should have any relevance past a celestial curiosity.

It will be visible on Friday along an arc ranging from the southwestern Pacific to South America, at a time it will already be night in Rome.

Not exactly a revelation

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It would be pretty freaky if the eclipse was visible from where the the funeral is.

Personally when the news is saturated with one subject I get tired of it, but this is the first Pope story on ATSNN that fits our 'alternative' view point.

Did anyone have links to post on the prophecy previously mentioned? I'm sure ATSNN readers would love to read more about this.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by boombye
....but he chose to have his funeral process last 9 days long, and I thought to myself, why did he pick that number??

That's an interesting point. He actually wrote that condition into the Vatican constitution in 1996, specifying that he shouldn't be buried until the 9th day after his death. It's an odd thing to want, it's pretty hard to keep a corpse from bloating up and smelling pretty bad for nine days.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
From a religious standpoint a person's funeral is the actual 'end' of their life on earth (not their physical death)... so one could argue that the eclipse still has meaning if it falls on the date of the pope's funeral.

And, even if you can't see it in rome, I'm sure there are catholics in the places where it will be visible.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
sorry for going off topic, but it should be noted that in Hinduism, we celebrate the birth of child with a 9 day ceremony (9 days after birth) and after death, we also have 10 day dead ceremony. Then we also do one 1 year later. It is believed by some that the soul lingers on earth during the 9-10 days after death before moving on to the next plane.

Still it is fascinating that the Pope was born on the day of an eclipse and will be buried on the day of one.

[edit on 4-6-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Here's a link to the prophecy of St. Malachy:

www.catholic-pages.com...

"De labore Solis"

The "Glory of the Olives" is the next in line. Many believe that this refers to a Jewish Pope (Lustiger?), but it might also refer to someone from latin America.

After the Glory of the Olives, though...

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Im getting tired of having to repeat this. And it just amazing how hard the truth is fto find anymore.

Please go to this link and you can find the map of the PARTIAL solar eclipes that occured on May 18th 1920, the same day JP2 was born. As you can see the Eclipse wasn't only visible in australia. Not really the conculsive proof to support the Malachy prophacy

Also if you look for April 8th 2005 you can see the path for a Total Solar Eclpse. But this is nothing more then a coincidance since the pope gave a 3 day lee-way on his funeral (4 to 6 days after his death) which anyone who wants to support the malachy prophacy can have a little fidge factor.

Now if the pope died on April 8th, it would seem a lot less likly to be coincidance.

The Malachy prophacies are purposly vauge and unclear, and too foten Explinations have been made jsut so the Malachy prophacy can become true.

There is some evidance that the prophacy was created just to save the monestary of some benidicting monks in 1590 during the Reformation.

"De Labore Solis" has also allready be explain by how much the Pope traveled and worked to bring many non-catholic religions together

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by boombye

Originally posted by jlc163

Ummmm why do you bother to comment on things you don't make sense about or know anything of??? A prophecy for the end of time that the same faith would also deny you say??? LOL..nobody is denying nothing..but nobody really cares to read the doctrines of the Va either, so what are you talking about deny?? um obviously....but he chose to have his funeral process last 9 days long, and I thought to myself, why did he pick that number?? is it because of the 9 chakras(remembering the picture of the shiva priestess who blessed his forehead when he went to india), or because he knew that in 9 days after his death it would happen, and made this decision as one of his last requests..He did decide how this was to be carried though. Why change the day? this benefits the church into gaining more fellowship! It also empowers the west's battle against the communist nations with their enforced atheistic approach towards human rights.

It's my sense of humor. I didn't think I'd have to spell it all out for you...since it was rather straightforward.

There are specific comments from Christ and various apostles written about what could either be his return or the fall of Jerusalem....depending on who is interpreting this, and right now, it's not really important enough to persue.....As I remember, Catholicism looks to the book of Revelation as a sign of the end of times...and that's where some of the comments are from.

Anyway....you have scripture that point blank state that even the Son of Man (i.e. Christ had no clue when these things were going to happen, only God the Father knew) didn't know when it was going to happen. .....yet, at the same time, many catholics....some even with high ranking poitions in the church....believe that this prophecy is real...and it's not helping that the pope's day of burial is aiding this...

basically, I'm more amused by the understanding of the scripture and the understanding of this prophecy, and the reasoning by which they conflict. I'm also amused that nothing is being done to prevent this from being considered a fufilment of that prophecy. But then, I never really thought that Catholics, in general, really studied the scriptures, in the first place....I know for a fact they don't arounbd where I'm from.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
here's a very good link on the prophecies www.jpdawson.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   
like i said on the other news post similar. Artificially aligning world events to match pre-determined Celestial ones with a backup of mystical astrology is the oldest mind control trick in the book.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This page has two movies that show where and when the eclipse will be visible. Note that central america (at the bottom) experiences a total eclipse:
www.shadowandsubstance.com...

Again... I have to point out that, from a religious standpoint, the Pope's funeral IS the 'end' of his earthly existence... so the argument of 'oh, it doesn't count because it wasn't on the day he died' doesn't work. Also... and come on... I think that the people who want to automatically dismiss this malachy stuff should confess that it is pretty weird to have a pope who was born and buried on day's that had eclipses (and who was signified by these eclipses in a supposed prophecy).

I am not saying that I believe in the Malachy thing. What I am saying is that the automatic 'this is only coincidence' line seems TOO automatic to be convincing. And, yes, we all know that the moon's orbit was determined bilions of years ago. Eclipses can still be interpreted to have meaning from the perspective of someone who believes that God has designed everything to work out according to a plan.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
But this is nothing more then a coincidance since the pope gave a 3 day lee-way on his funeral (4 to 6 days after his death) which anyone who wants to support the malachy prophacy can have a little fidge factor.

There's no leeway on the date of the funeral. This is a quote from the constitution he verified himself in 1996.

JOHN PAUL II
SUPREME PONTIFF
APOSTOLIC CONSTITUTION
UNIVERSI DOMINICI GREGIS
ON THE VACANCY
OF THE APOSTOLIC SEE
AND THE ELECTION
OF THE ROMAN PONTIFF

THE FUNERAL RITES OF THE ROMAN PONTIFF

27. After the death of the Roman Pontiff, the Cardinals will celebrate the funeral rites for the repose of his soul for nine consecutive days, in accordance with the Ordo Exsequiarum Romani Pontificis, the norms of which, together with those of the Ordo Rituum Conclavis, they are to observe faithfully.

new topics

top topics

join