It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lolz about electric vehicles

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

Day to day i drive a Ford Transit Custom simply because i need to carry a lot of tools and equipment. It does the job perfectly, heated seats, cruise control and all the latest toys (i picked the top spec for comfort). I normally have a weekend car to blaze around the countryside although i sold my Cayman and haven't replaced it yet. I like the Jaguar F-Type, probably be my next purchase when i move back to Scotland in a couple of years, i had a test drive in an F-Type 5.0 V8 R and it was a blast, the noise that thing makes is epic. Not as nimble or as refined as a 911 but i'm neither nimble or refined myself, i prefer cars that have personality, a lot of the newer sports cars you can feel the computers doing all the work for you.
edit on 12/10/22 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I had a hybrid. There is no way I’d touch an EV or Hybrid until they work out the kinks.
There are kinks, you know like the car wanting to just power down out of nowhere.

Or, what about when there is battery failure and you are outside of your warranty, ours was going to cost $8000, vs $60 bucks for a regular vehicle.

Those are two REAL world examples I experienced not some second hand story.

I’m what you call an early adopter. I even tried an electric battery powered lawn mower. It was such a failure the company paid to have it fixed 2X, and when it broke for the 3rd time they sent me a brand new one, which I sold and bought a gas mower.
edit on 12-10-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-10-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7
Thanks, I don't overdo it nowadays on the Autobahn. I once went past 355km/h as a challenge to myself and nowadays I only do like 280kmh or so maximum for short time.

Because that's where the Taycan's software steps in, narc narc.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain
a reply to: Mandroid7

Porsche Taycan Turbo S with some custom mods.

Wait.... Turbo? Where does the turbo go on an EV?

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
Sorry I can not relate to your experiences because mine are different.

Zero problems. Okay one time the passenger display did wonky stuff and I had it remotely fixed via update. But nothing like you described. It may be the manufacturer MO though. They build for race track. Stuff like insecurity about a dying battery is not something they would risk blaming themselves. It is built for race track and heavy abuse while still being comfortable on the road, maxing out the current possible tech.

Hence my try at explaining why I do not "brag" but want to point out that EV did huge jumps in technology. Formula narrative, race stuff trickles down and so on. People that are willing and able to, can buy EV that refutes most claims about EV.

And it has always been like that. New stuff get's invented and can be had in higher priced cars. The people buying these cars, lay way for the technology research being paid off and soon cheaper models have that technology, too, for a fraction of the price. I know stuff I can not say currently other than it's getting cheaper and faster, and faster charging (8 minutes) soon. Sooner than most expect.

I had a battery powered angle grinder, Makita. Garbage! But yes, I understand your viewpoint, but can only say Porsche is not producing unfinished stuff. They would never risk their name for this. And they delivered with this one. Blows you of your socks. I hope soon other manufacturers will try to copy and do the same job cheaper.

Then we only need to solve the battery topic and nobody, except for freaks like me or others that are gearheads / fuel heads, will shed a tear for ICE.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Hahahahah yes.

In Germany, we use the word "turbo" not only for exhaust driven turbochargers.

If you have a button on your little RC toy that makes it speed up when pressing, that's a turbo. Turbo here means like "a thingy that makes stuff go faster".

So Porsche Taycan Turbo S means it's a more aggressive version. Many laugh about it, I shook my head too about the Turbo part.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

a lot of the newer sports cars you can feel the computers doing all the work for you.

While I’m excited to see where new cars take us… I’ll be incredibly sad to retire my stick shift. Something about a manual makes you feel more connected with the car and road. Paddleshifting is nice but just doesn’t have the same feeling of connection.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Grenade
I drive the EV daily but when I am working (dirty clothes) or need to transport material, pickup parts, cars, tires, pull out the landlords son's car from the ditch etc, I currently use a beaten up 2008 BMW V8. A bit big for my likings but it does the job in dragging a trailer + car on it safe.

"Weekend" car is a 80s Audi Coupe, 5cyl inline. But I have not driven it since a few months, last thing I did was change the transmission to the shorter version in summer and did some rips on the Autobahn. Brake boosted the disks into coloration. It's a bit faster than the Taycan but feels like three times faster because of all the impressions. Shoots three foot long flames on gear changes, hungry chambers and lot's of filling grade. Let's see how long the exhaust manifold can take it. Savage and a real sleeper. Would not expect it until I engage rolling boost and the exhaust ports open.

Then my health declined after a short phase of getting better and doctor was like "no raised heart rate for you the next year". Well, bummer! But I did video and I feast on it.

F-Types, I had one in yellow here but only interior work. The panels scratch really fast. I wanted to give the customer a good deal so I can change the suspension on one and learn a bit about Jaguars. But was just a Sunday driver, no sport or race stuff.

911 is for race track. Most Porsche are, it's kind of unfair to compare a Porsche to any other car because they are built for abuse on the track. You buy one and take it to the race track, abuse the hell out of it, then drive home. A customer has a GT3 RS model. Took me for a ride once. 700ish HP. Punches you into the seat again and again, keeping promises about numbers. Porsche eben.
edit on 12.10.2022 by TDDAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

So true. You are a lot slower no matter how good you can shift compared to DSG or other similar transmissions. Can not tackle corners as well because with DSG systems you just pull the paddle and the transmission does a perfect rev match downshift while breaking and tricks with boost too.

But manual stick shift, tons of more fun. So much more soul. The R33, serial dog boxed though, that feeling traveling down the arm when you flatshift. You can feel it up to the shoulders, the power you just interrupted and reengaged...

Also, pedal work. When it's about passion and fun and handling the machine, you need a clutch. There's so much more involved when you scream towards a corner and brake, rev match downshift at the same time (heel toeing while braking, left foot works the clutch simultaneous, don't try it children).

Pure satisfaction, raw and adrenaline invoking ♥

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Yea, I think manual is only superior to traditional automatic transmissions. But DSG beats it out in most metrics. Electric wins out on all as it’s gearless, but at the cost of nostalgia and feel.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Possibly a big step towards making EVs more feasible would be to stop focusing on battery technology and put some research into capacitor technology.

Capacitors charge quicker, are lighter, and cheaper to produce. The raw materials are 100% recyclable.

Of course, they present a new set of challenges when it comes to powering an electric motor, some pretty big ones, but overall they would be more environmentally friendly.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

My Dads partner drives an Audi TT RS, I mean it’s a nice car and it’s fast but just has no soul, get anywhere near the limits and all sorts of safety systems ruin the fun. As for paddle shifting, the Alfa Quadrifoglio has nice big aluminium paddles that give a nice resistance and satisfying clunk when shifting, my mate let me have a go round some country roads and that car is a beast. I wouldn’t buy an Alfa myself but leasing or renting they’re great fun. I’ve driven a few M5 in my time and for me I’d take the Alfa ahead of them.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Accidentally strarred/flagged you , I'm very much against EVs for several reasons.
Firstly , they are being used to push the 'green agenda' , that EVs are supposedly 'green' (even though coals are needed to convert to electricity)
They , or the self-driving versions, will be used to control/limit us.

They will all be government owned (you will own nothing and be happy).
They will determine by looking at your social credit score if you're 'allowed' to go anywhere , and where you're 'allowed' to go.
If they deem a trip 'unnecessary' you don't go.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 08:43 PM
link   

ATS has its very own Sabine Schmitz by the sound of it.

The first time I tried heel and toe I nearly ended up in a ditch.

One of the guys from work does a lot of sim racing, he has a setup that cost a fortune and it’s actually quite convincing, I leave it till the simulator to practice my drifting and advanced techniques. Also I can drink a bottle of wine and drive without killing myself. I’m not allowed on it anymore as he can’t beat my lap times 😂

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I don't have a issue wit EVs in particular besides the current battery technology and manufacturing processes.

The issues I have are with being told that I won't be allowed to drive, or potentially own, older ICE cars when I know it'll more than likely turn into another heavily regulated rich people only hobby to be able to afford older cars, trucks, and motorcycles or else be heavily fined and have the vehicles stolen from me by local law enforcement or some new created EPA police force.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Plus there is no substitute for a roaring 454 with finely tuned dual quads and a deep loping cam poised to launch on the green.

Patently false. Clearly you're not remembering the 426 or 440 mag. Or even the 460 and it's willingness to rev into oblivion (quite literally, holy hell Ford big blocks like to pop.) Oh and the Wildcat. Can't forget the Wildcat.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 11:01 PM
link   

So yeah, snicker at EV now, you look as stupid as the horse people back then. Soon enough when we have overcome the battery tech limitations and can have an onboard power source, the ICE will be gain the same status than horses. Kept around for entertainment and emotional values only.

It will still take many many years to make batteries truly competitive unless there is some big break through, which is certainly possible. But even then, we still have the issue of electric cars being much more expensive, and that is a much more difficult issue to overcome due to the inherent economics of manufacturing electric cars. It's morally wrong for any government to use laws to force such a transition, especially at a time of global economic turmoil.

If the government allowed people to keep using ICE cars then many people would keep using them for many decades to come. But lets say we make all the technological advancements to build cheap and efficient electric vehicles, is lithium renewable? How is replacing oil drilling with lithium mining really such a good thing? And what about all the plastic and countless other non-renewable resources that go into producing advanced electronics?

But lets just say we find a way to manufacture EV's in a very green way, and we replace all ICE cars with EV's, what will happen in emergencies such as floods which destroy all the EV's? Or even worse, what about a solar flare which takes the electric grid off line for months? Suddenly people will be digging up the old ICE vehicle out of the garage, assuming they can still find any gas/petrol. Yet the big brain geniuses still want to outlaw ICE vehicles.
edit on 12/10/2022 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I had a hybrid. There is no way I’d touch an EV or Hybrid until they work out the kinks.
There are kinks, you know like the car wanting to just power down out of nowhere.

Or, what about when there is battery failure and you are outside of your warranty, ours was going to cost $8000, vs $60 bucks for a regular vehicle.

Those are two REAL world examples I experienced not some second hand story.

I’m what you call an early adopter. I even tried an electric battery powered lawn mower. It was such a failure the company paid to have it fixed 2X, and when it broke for the 3rd time they sent me a brand new one, which I sold and bought a gas mower.

I need to weigh in on this. Had a similar conversation with my group of pals about a month ago.

They're on their second electric vehicle and work for a green energy company... It's a company subsidised car on finance/hired purchase.

My argument was as JAGStorm said above, to which their retort was the technology will improve or something like it's cheaper in the long run.

That was until I told them straight that a heck of a lot of people cannot afford an electric vehicle. I pulled 30k out of my head and they said they don't cost that much. A regular low end electric vehicle is going to cost about £15,000. The cheapest I found was a city runner smaller than a Fiat 500 for about £8000. Nobody is going to buy that.

Further to that there is the cost of having a charging point out outside your house - which assumes your house has a drive. Their solution to on road parking was that companies are investigating charging EVs through power poles for on street parking.

So what happens when someone parks outside your property and plugs into your lamp post? Where do these nonsense ideas end?

I hate to say it, but it sounds like a middle class wet dream currently. And yes, they earn more than double what the livable working wage would be considered in the UK.
edit on 12/10/2022 by L.A.B because: Typo

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I can't wait until the day I'm drinking my illegal 100% dark roast coffee(because it's not a soy latte) looking at the 69 Camaro I inherited from my dad who built it from the bottom up and say to myself "Eh, what the hell. I'll fire it up for a few minutes for old times sake." Just to get a visit from the EPA police because multiple people in the area heard the terrifying sound of an evil engine roaring. It even made a few babies cry. The terror!

But yes Duckie I agree with you. One day the technology will be there maybe. It just shouldn't be forced on us before it's ready.

Sure back in the day when cars were unreliable and when most people still rode horseback or in wagons/carriages, but they didn't ban horses on roads. As the technology became better and more affordable more people began driving than riding. Hell, here in Tennessee and in many states horses still have the right of way on streets. Technically, if people were so inclined they could go back to horseback riding and hitching wagons and such.

Not sure the "green" people would enjoy all the extra poop gas in the air though.

I'm just saying maybe in the future it will become more feasible to drive EVs than ICE vehicles. But it's a disservice to millions of people to coerce/force them to buy EVs when the technology and infrastructure isn't there yet and it's not quite affordable yet.

Let the rich folk buy them and use them first. They can afford them and drive them while the infrastructure and technology improves.

Let the working class folks get by with what they have until then.

Maybe in the meantime here in the US we can focus on improving our energy grid first and maybe build a few more nuclear power plants first. Then, I'd say we'd be able to honestly transition from coal, petrol, diesel, and natural gas to running more electric vehicles.

And those people living in cities, especially large ones will have to get used to using public transportation probably, and that's going to open ip it's own can of worms when the rich people don't want to share the same space as the poor people when it comes to access of public transportation. Even the people who live outside the cities will probably have to park at some point on the edge of town and hop on an electric bus or cab to their destination.

Here in the US we really need to do something about traffic congestion in our towns and cities. It's absurd that I used to be able to get across town in about fifteen minutes, but now it takes me just about a hour to get from one side of town to the other. I can ride my bicycle and get to where I'm going faster than that.

In the US it's not just our energy grid that's outdated it's damn near our entire infrastructure. They turn towns into cities and don't expand roads. Then they have to tear down older buildings to build new roads or expand old roads. A lot of our bridges are either overdue on maintenance or under constant maintenance.

It's a growing concern in major cities that their power grid can't keep up with demand, and it doesn't really take much to knock out chunks or entire regions of a grid.

We're nowhere close to being ready for the EV transition.

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

I agree with you that it's not the governments business to rule if ICE can or can not stay and who's going to drive EV or not.

Floods destroy ICE cars too. A solar flare that takes out the electric grid for month you will have no pumps or oil refinery, port loading either. These two examples are made out of thin air.

The rest of your questions I just ignore because they are loaded, as if I ever had advocated for them. This thread isn't about what's better ultimately, sorry that you didn't grasp the reason for the thread. Hint, CriticalStinker explained it best what this thread is about.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join