It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discrimination against Straights and Whites

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freddie
Tyriffic, I don't really understand that. Skokie is famous for having a huge population of Jews. It is also mostly affluent. Evanston is a big mixture of people. Some public aid people, some millionaires, a big mix. The southside is mainly working class. Lots of Irish, Poles, and Mexicans. Very few wealthy neighborhoods, like Beverly (which Beverly Hills was named after BTW). I grew up in Oak Park, which has a comparable mix that Evanston has.

I was speaking of Blacks and in your defence, some time ago at that...My sister and her family lived in Evanston(she black, him german) and there were some probs...Cleveland is very segregated like Chi-town-Poles here, Italians there, blacks here and there like the most....

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Okay, yes, isn't it ironic that the northern cities in America are more segregated than the southern ones?

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 12:42 AM
link   
But don't you see what you are doing?

Does it matter if the "mix" is right? I lived in Dallas in a "working class neighbor". And that is exactly how I describe it. I never even conceive of describing it elsewise. It was a wonderful neighborhool of working folk trying to experience (and provide their children with) the best possible home, neighbor, school they possibly could. There was a tremendous amount of hispanci people in the neighborhood, but I cannot force myself to think along the lines of describing that neighbor in term so ethnic groups. Naive or not, I felt all families in that community for striving for the same. And I never felt any need to "qualify" that my area was mostly hispanic.

I do not understand the troubles voiced in this thread.

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Val, I believe you are missing my point. In Chicago (presumably other midwest cities) everyone is divided by their ethnic group. Their are many Polish, Irish, Italian, Black, Puerto Rican, Mexican, Phillipino, Chinese, etc. neighborhoods. Oh, yes, Czech, Russian, you get the picture. Everyone stays with their own kind, unless they move into areas where it is a mix, but that takes money. I just find it ironic that the black slaves fled to the north, but now the north is more segregated than the south. There is a lot of racism in the north. I guess that is my point.

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Hey Freddie,
Didn't mean to generalize, not good by me.

Valhall- the pfoblem goes back to original sin and the knowledge that we have differences and similarities- problem is, we spend too much time on the former than on the latter.

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Okay, I understand the point that you are making. My point is that I absolutley don't understand that situation.

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I will paraphrase from the book, "The Boss," by Mike Royko (famous Chicago Tribune columnist, now dead) about Chicago. He talked about wandering into other neighborhoods. He described, "Everything was different. The smells were different. The signs were in other languages. That caused me to realize I was in a different neighbhood, that and the fact that people were throwing rocks at my head." Sorry, unfair paraphrasing. It is a good book. It is mainly about Richard Daley, the "Boss" of Chicago.

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 01:37 AM
link   
The only journalist I sincerely miss...his colums were always entertaining even if the subject didn't really interest me.

Seemed like a cool guy to hang with.

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by maynardsthirdeye

Originally posted by FreeMason
I've said it many times before...watch how fast you'll get kicked out of School if you had a "white club" or "Germanic club"...

Watch how fast you'll be arrested if you went down Market Square in San Fransico naked, fornicating, guys banging women doggy style.

Who does that?

are you talking like nazi germanic club? cause my school has one but its not a nazi program

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kitty
william, ya seem tense

TN, the majority ( whitebread ) has been in power and will remain in power no matter what kind of organizations, parades or clubs open up around them.

then how come the majority has to suffer to make the minority happy?

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 07:50 PM
link   
>>Can South African whites who immigrate to America >>check off "African-American" on their college >>applications? Just wondering.
Yeah, a white South African kid did that on the PSAT at my school to get easy scholarship money... LOL lucky ba$t4rd

posted on Jul, 26 2003 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStalker
>>Can South African whites who immigrate to America >>check off "African-American" on their college >>applications? Just wondering.
Yeah, a white South African kid did that on the PSAT at my school to get easy scholarship money... LOL lucky ba$t4rd

did he go to michigan?

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Wait, if it is wrong for a white/straight/male to do it to a black/hispanic/gay/woman, then why is the reverse alright? Hypocrits! It wrong if the majority does it, but it ok if the minority does it? Wait a minute, this isn't theTwilight Zone or the Outer Limits, so that is BS.

Second, isn't the majority suppose to have the power? The majority of the votes, the majority of the people choose this, the majority want this, all that in a democract where the majority rules, and yet they have no power nowadays. A majority wants something, they racist/sexist/whatever and are sued. 3,936,000 want a new road put in to cut back on flow of traffic of a road that goes right next to a school, but 3 people don't want it, so the road isn't built. People, that is reverse democracy. Doesn't make sense.

Again, why is it ok for the minority to do what is considered wrong for the majority to do?

Then, when was the last time you had an all white school? Or all male school? Sorry, unless a boarding school, no all male schools. Yet you have St. Ursala's school for women, Brutus's school for the African American, well, those the only two I know of that discriminate against the majority, which is alright, for it is against the majority, not a minority.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Wait, if it is wrong for a white/straight/male to do it to a black/hispanic/gay/woman, then why is the reverse alright? Hypocrits! It wrong if the majority does it, but it ok if the minority does it? Wait a minute, this isn't theTwilight Zone or the Outer Limits, so that is BS.

Second, isn't the majority suppose to have the power? The majority of the votes, the majority of the people choose this, the majority want this, all that in a democract where the majority rules, and yet they have no power nowadays. A majority wants something, they racist/sexist/whatever and are sued. 3,936,000 want a new road put in to cut back on flow of traffic of a road that goes right next to a school, but 3 people don't want it, so the road isn't built. People, that is reverse democracy. Doesn't make sense.

Again, why is it ok for the minority to do what is considered wrong for the majority to do?

Then, when was the last time you had an all white school? Or all male school? Sorry, unless a boarding school, no all male schools. Yet you have St. Ursala's school for women, Brutus's school for the African American, well, those the only two I know of that discriminate against the majority, which is alright, for it is against the majority, not a minority.

#1. Do what? Help me understand.

#2. I think you are mixing (no pun) the points. Political majorities do not = Racism. I believe the topic is dealing with whether it is discriminatory to whites if minorities have their own clubs/organizations that may be exclusive to the former.
If you are in the majority, are you harmed by the minority having these orgs.??? Seriously. Are you? I doubt it very seriously. As I am not a golfer, I will probably never seek to join an elitist golf club. Do I think exclusion on race is a bad thing- uh, yes!
Like I said before, I think there is some need for understanding why minorities (being small in number) have a need to feel safe within their number since they are never going to be represented as the majority....

#3. You can partially blame Beloved Bill, the guy who loves minorities for your grief....

www.adversity.net...

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Comrades, we do not live in a perfect world. Not all people get the same chances that others do, and race has alot to do with it as well as financial standing. In a perfect society, your position would be determined by skill and intelligence in the subject. But, this is not a perfect world and the majority always will and always have had a major advantage.

I've seen it first hand, day after day, in my own family. If your telling me the child of a poor polish peasant women who moved to the US can compete with the child of a white and rich married american woman; you are mistaken.

It just is not fair to these people... I can tell you, I see it firsthand. And don't even tell me "Life's not fair" because with that kind of an attitude we won't get anywere. We MUST help out struggling minorities to even out the playing field. When they are at the same level as the majority, then we can ease the rules and let things go more by skill until our society is "perfect" or as close as possible.

Ok I'll get off the soapbox.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 10:21 AM
link   
That if I was a black, jewish female, I wouldn't have had to pay a dime for college.....

I agree with equal rights...I disagree with "special" rights though (i.e. lowering testing standards for minorities, scholarships based on race/sex, etc.) There will never be equality or an end to discrimination, when we grant special considerations based on these factors...

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Know what? I put down Indian(Wait, Native Heritge Oriented American Citizen) and Asian on my college crap. When asked, I have Indian blood, though don't look it, and Russia is in Asia, so I'm part Asian. They didn't take either one, so had to pay in full.

Real way of saying it.
But a Part black, part Mexican Jewish Buddist albino midget didn't have to pay a dime. In fact, he was such a minority, they gave him money!

PC Pu$$* way to say it.
A part African Heritage Oriented American Citizen, Hispanic Heritage Oriented American Citizen of the Jewish and Buddist faith who was pigment impaired and vertically challenged didn't have to pay the money needed to attend college.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Bah i can claim my to be native american because Great Grandfather was 100% pure blood Cherokee - Real indian. i dont claim that on any of my tests or entrance exams because i dont want the support of people that are the same people that try to keep the native americans and blacks stupid.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Whitey Day? No thanks. I have no desire to see a bunch of lame, white-boys strut around in their khaki's drinking starbucks coffee singing Backdoor Boys tunes.

Isn't it bad enough that we have Eminem?

[Edited on 28-7-2003 by Thorfinn Skullsplitter]

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
That if I was a black, jewish female, I wouldn't have had to pay a dime for college.....

I agree with equal rights...I disagree with "special" rights though (i.e. lowering testing standards for minorities, scholarships based on race/sex, etc.) There will never be equality or an end to discrimination, when we grant special considerations based on these factors...

What makes you think blacks and minorities don't have to pay to go to college?

That is an uneducated statement.

I had to pay to go to college and I'm black- I'm neither female or Jewish....I guess I struck out by your standard.
Most of my friends (who did not get scholarships) also had to pay US dollars to get their educations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join