It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discrimination against Straights and Whites

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 07:53 PM
link   
...I wonder if there will be outrage.....NO STRAIGHTS ALLOWED! lol

NEW YORK — The city is opening a full-fledged high school for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender students -- the first of its kind in the nation, The Post has learned.

Operating for two decades as a small alternative program with just two classrooms, the new Harvey Milk High School officially opens as a stand-alone public school with 100 students in September.

The school is undergoing a $3.2 million in city-funded renovations approved by the old Board of Education in June of last year. It will eventually take in 170 students by September 2004, more than tripling last year's enrollment.

The Hetrick-Martin Institute -- the gay-rights youth-advocacy group that manages and helps finance the school in conjunction with New York's Department of Education -- has hired the school's first principal.

In the past, Harvey Milk High School -- named after the slain gay San Francisco politician -- was assigned an "off-site" supervisor who also oversaw several other schools.

Principal William Salzman said Harvey Milk will be an academically rigorous school that will specialize in computer technology, arts and a culinary program.

"This school will be a model for the country and possibly the world," Salzman said.

"This is a not a touchy-feely situation. We intend to have 95 percent of our students go on to college. We have a lot of talent coming into the school. We want to steer these kids in the right direction."

But New York State Conservative Party Chairman Mike Long blasted the school as "social engineering" that wastes tax dollars.

"Is there a different way to teach homosexuals? Is there gay math? This is wrong. This makes absolutely no sense," Long said. "There's no reason these children should be treated separately."

Long said there are city and state discrimination laws on the books and that authorities should enforce them to stop gay-bashing.

"What next? Maybe we should have schools for chubby kids who get picked on. Maybe all kids who wear glasses should have special schools. It's ridiculous," he said.

What burns Long most is the $3 million spent on renovations. "Maybe this is one of the reasons the city has no money," he said.

Arthur Larsen, who graduated from the program last month as valedictorian, is thrilled with its expansion into a full-fledged school. "I'm now an alumnus of a real school!" he said. "There's going to be more students. In four years, I want to work here."

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Wait, you try to open an all straight school, sued. But an all gay school? $3million bucks from the state.

Ahem, one thing. BULL$H*T!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Like I said before, I don't particulary like the idea of all exclusive organizations- public tax dollars are just that though-PUBLIC.

If you want a club for people who pass gas in public, that is fine with me.........if you want MY tax dollar to fund it- hit the road sucka!

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tyriffic

"This school will be a model for the country and possibly the world," Salzman said.

Yes, what a great model. I'm so jealous there is no such a school in my country. New-Yorkers are sooooo lucky.

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Wait, you try to open an all straight school, sued. But an all gay school? $3million bucks from the state.

You're not politically correct , Dear.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I know I'm not Mr. President, and I don't want to be. A democracy is suppose to be ruled by the majority, not the minority. PC is a way for the minors to take over.

I am sorry. Say 3,999,999 people want a building built to house a teaching center, but 17 don't, it should be built. But using PC, the building wouldn't be built for the minority don't want it to be built. Sorry, this is the real world, not the Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits. Majority rule, not the minority. But with PC, the majority want something, sued and called discriminators. Minoritys want something, it is done so you aren't sued and called discriminators. WRONG!!!

politically Correct

[Edited on 30-7-2003 by James the Lesser]

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 10:38 AM
link   

What makes you think blacks and minorities don't have to pay to go to college?

That is an uneducated statement

It isn't. It's fact. Taking my test scores, and grade point average, I looked into every scholarship/grant available. Not even factoring competitive scholarships (i.e. only looking at guaranteed monies), had I been black, jewish, and female, I would have had not only college paid for (housing, books and all), but I would also have a few grand in spending money.... I found that SAT requirements were far less for black or female applicants, as well as lower GPA's required than for others, for government grants, etc.

I never said they didn't have to pay to go to college. I said that I wouldn't have had to pay anything. I also meant to imply that there are simply more opportunities for such minorities, even when they don't meet the same standards as others.

For example, you'll find that many government jobs have less stringent requirements for minorities than they do for others, for the same exact job.

My point is that reverse discrimination, is still discrimination, and that until everyone is treated equally, discrimination will continue indefinitely....

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser

IF you open an all stright school you get blasted and called a biggot. but and all gay school you get praised !bull #!

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freddie
Val, I believe you are missing my point. In Chicago (presumably other midwest cities) everyone is divided by their ethnic group. Their are many Polish, Irish, Italian, Black, Puerto Rican, Mexican, Phillipino, Chinese, etc. neighborhoods. Oh, yes, Czech, Russian, you get the picture. Everyone stays with their own kind, unless they move into areas where it is a mix, but that takes money. I just find it ironic that the black slaves fled to the north, but now the north is more segregated than the south. There is a lot of racism in the north. I guess that is my point.

yup its like that in omaha

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 10:02 PM
link   
everyone should be able to express their pride in being a certain way, why don't straight and white ppl do nuttin?

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Banjo, pretty simple; it would be described as racist or sexist. I don't know why.

Jo

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It's a pity to see how powerful white nations have rolled over and pissed on themselves in the name of political correctness.

On the other hand presidents like Mugabe in Zimbabwe openly encourage hate speech against whites and he even goes as far as declaring war on England because it is full of whites.

Personally I think the world has gone mad.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThermoNuke
I just want everyones opinions on this. Just because someone is gay they get to have their own parade. Just because someone is black they get to celebrate black pride. All shout discrimination by their opposites.

But if people had a national Straight pride day, or a White Pride day.. People would crap themselves.

exactly. the white male is the most discriminated individual in the US

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jo
It's a pity to see how powerful white nations have rolled over and pissed on themselves in the name of political correctness.

On the other hand presidents like Mugabe in Zimbabwe openly encourage hate speech against whites and he even goes as far as declaring war on England because it is full of whites.

Personally I think the world has gone mad.

what??? the world wasnt crazy before this BS???

lol

i wouldnt say white males are deiscriminated against, although i will say they are loathed and hated by some of each group that isnt white, male and straight.

some see this as excusable or even justified "but they have hated me for so long, wah wah wah"

this is pure BS. i avoid these threads on purpose because everyone wants to blame everyone else for this and thats it. no real discussion, no exchange of opinions and ideas on this in the attempt to learn something.

and mugabe is a nut. not because of what he says but because of how he acts. he has done jsut about everything wrong he can think of and is ruining his country at breakneck speed. farmlands that once produced lots of food for the country now are owned by people who have never farmed and the land goes to waste. there is going to be HUGE shortages of food but he feels this "redistribution of land" was very justified. maybe it was but how he did it and who got the land is another matter all together. his attitude hasnt helped either.

ah screw it, noone reads these threads to learn, only to spew more hate and blame others for problems we ALL face.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join