It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-speeding tech is now mandatory for new car models in the EU

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Anti-speeding tech is now mandatory for new car models in the EU
Source

I guess we all seen this coming. I know for myself, I can't stand that some drivers seem to only be able to drive at least 10-20+ mph/kph over the speed limit. You all know the type...constantly in a hurry, usually multi-tasking, talking on the phone, etc. They are the ones who wouldn't follow or even recognize the speed limit unless their car actually limited them.

Well, the wait is finally over!
Now, they are making it mandatory for new vehicles in the EU to have a few speed limits imposed.

"On July 6, a technology called Intelligent speed assistance (ISA) has become mandatory for all new car models and types of vehicles introduced to the European market. Furthermore, the system will become mandatory for all new cars that will be sold in the EU from July 2024.

ISA uses the car's cameras, map data and deep learning (among other methods) to check whether the car is driving over the speed limit, and if so, it can warn the driver in several ways, and even reduce the car's speed to bring it within the limit.

At least there is a warning first.
Thankfully, the drivers can override them for now.
For now.

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 11:43 AM
link   
"All new car models"? Seems that could be detrimental in some cases. Fire trucks and ambulances and police cars will be limited to the speed limit too? That could be a disaster for those needing them in a hurry.

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I see there are ways around it. But as the op said..."For now".

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 11:49 AM
link   
cant see this happening in Germany and their autobahn, my favorite highways ever

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

It's coming to the US as well, no doubt.
This is all coupled with the old "cash for clunkers" program.

It's a giant plan to control everything we do. In a sense, I feel like some people should be restricted because they drive like a$$holes and have no regard for other drivers. But to limit the freedoms of everyone, simply because a few bad apples.

Sounds like the grounds on why a lot of other laws have been forced.

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: havok

At some point the insurance to drive a vehicle yourself will be appreciably higher than a self driving vehicle making it a activity for the more well off. Self driving cars won't speed as traffic will be controlled by algorithms.

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 11:57 AM
link   

a reply to: Blueracer

drive like a$$holes

Sounds like Chicago.

But seriously, I notice construction zones that have posted signs that the speed limit is photo enforced and people still speed thru the zones. THOSE are the "assholes" that should have this forcibly implemented if anyone has to deal with it.

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Well they already want people to track themselves for "lower rates" by installing their bluetooth tracking apps. I can't believe people fall for those things, but then again they are all looking for discounts. So I can't blame them either.

At this point nothing will surprise me at all.
I have a feeling it's going to be quite expensive to keep the old cars on the road.

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I have a feeling it's going to be quite expensive to keep the old cars on the road.

Especially when guzzolene becomes a boutique item.

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 12:18 PM
link   
They tried this with the new desil trucks in the USA a few years ago. It had to be abandoned and removed from the trucks as it caused huge traffic problems on the freeways. Think rolling roadblocks of 18 wheelers where noone could pass them because they could not pass each other.

Much like self driving vehicles, more problems are being created than fixed.
edit on 7 6 2022 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

When I rented a car in Portugal like 4 years ago it was annoying as hell. Every time you would go over the limit it would know and not stop obnoxiously BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPing. It didn't slow you down though, it just wouldn't shut up.
As a rule I only go 5 to 10 over. Any more is too much.

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE
cant see this happening in Germany and their autobahn, my favorite highways ever

Actually, much of the Autobahns got speed restricted, especially after the Berlin Wall came down and a flood of new traffic came over from the east.

A few years ago, there were still stretches with no limits that were safe to drive at high speed, but in average conditions, simply trucks passing each other (called "elephant dance" because those vehicles record how fast the driver is going and so they toe the speed limit line) makes high speed driving somewhat risky.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Wait till the doors lock and the cars take you "camping"

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Perhaps they should activate this feature for a certain time (2 yrs?) when you get a speeding ticket.
Why do it to everybody?

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer
"All new car models"? Seems that could be detrimental in some cases. Fire trucks and ambulances and police cars will be limited to the speed limit too? That could be a disaster for those needing them in a hurry.
Wonder if it applies to Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo’s, Aston Martins, Mclaren’s etc?

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

At some point the insurance to drive a vehicle yourself will be appreciably higher than a self driving vehicle making it a activity for the more well off. Self driving cars won't speed as traffic will be controlled by algorithms.

Considering the average age of most ATSers, I would think we'll be long gone before that is implemented.

And will that self-driving car also self-charge....

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 07:26 PM
link   
It really doesn't concern me that much if cars are limited to maximum speed limit. But do wonder how they would replace taxation by citation revenue.

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 07:36 PM
link   

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Well they already want people to track themselves for "lower rates" by installing their bluetooth tracking apps. I can't believe people fall for those things, but then again they are all looking for discounts. So I can't blame them either.

At this point nothing will surprise me at all.

The reasoning is that their phones are already tracking their data. People for the most part have given up on anonymity and privacy.

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
Considering the average age of most ATSers, I would think we'll be long gone before that is implemented.

And will that self-driving car also self-charge....

LOL, good point. A lot of people are complaining about things they'll never see.

join