It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nine feared dead in quake crash (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Fears have appeared after a helicopter while helping in the earthquake hit area of Indonesian island of Nias. All miltary personnel are feared dead and another two are seriously injured.
Poor weather in the area has been reported and its believed that this may be the cause of the crash. But its still unknown what exactly brought the helicopter down.

news.bbc.co.uk
An Australian helicopter has crashed while assisting relief operations on the earthquake-hit Indonesian island of Nias, off Sumatra.

Nine Australian military personnel are believed to have been killed and another two seriously injured.

Nias took the full force of last Monday's powerful earthquake, which killed an estimated 1,300 people.

Aid workers from around the world have arrived on the island to bring relief supplies and rescue survivors.

The Australian Sea King helicopter is reported to have gone down while touring the western coast of Nias on Saturday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its a sad day of the Australian people. Its feared that nine has paid with their lives in trying to help the quake hit area. Poor weather is believed to have caused the crash, but i think the cause is still unkown.

This map shows the area and we can see that the island Nias was one of the worst hit by the quake. Aid is still pouring in and its sad that nine have to pay with their lives.

[edit on 2-4-2005 by infinite]

[edit on 2-4-2005 by infinite]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
is the sea king the helicopter type that has had a crahing problem in canada?

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

im not sure,
you'll have to search around to see

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The Sea King helicopter had been ferrying an emergency medical team

ATS Link

Very sad.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Thats the one.

Canada bought 41 Sea King helicopters in 1963. They require 30 hours of maintenance for every hour of flight. Nice eh?
Hopefully the new military budget will allow for newer helicopters.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
its a really sad story,
i think bad weather caused the crash, it was being reported about the weather in the area.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
if memory serves i believe weather was blamed in the case of a few canadian crashes as well. then it was harder to sweep under the rug when they crashed more and more.perhapse it is well past time that sea kings were permanantly grounded.

amuseingly canada several years ago did order some new helicopters. then the government decided that we did not need new helicopters and spent quite a lot to cancel the order. stupid boobs
politicians can't live with them, can't just shoot them all.
the fastest way to create a problem is to let politics get involved.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
foxnews is now covering the story

www.foxnews.com...

It seems that no one really knows what brought this helicopter down. my money is on bad weather, but im not sure.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
CNN have abit on this aswell;

edition.cnn.com...

There is still no word on what caused the chase, im still guessing it was bad weather. But i will be updating, once i know what brought it down.

top topics

join