It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entergy Corp Shuts Down Nuclear Power Plant in Michigan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Looks like less energy on the grid in Michigan. Consumers Energy customers would be affected it seems. One less aging nuclear power plant in my area seems pretty good to me, plus I'm on a different grid.

More Bad News on the Energy Front: Entergy Corp Shuts Down Nuclear Power Plant in Michigan By Jim Hoft Published May 21, 2022 at 12:43pm
Entergy Corp. announced on Friday that it had permanently shut down its Palisades Power Plant in Michigan after 50 years of operation earlier than planned.

. . . The Palisades plant covers 432 acres in western Covert Township, Van Buren County, Michigan, and generates around 800 megawatts of electricity, that’s enough to power 800,000 residences in Southwest Michigan. The facility employed around 600 employees.

LINK

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I was about to let you have it for spelling energy wrong in your title, but it appears that I’m the dummy here. That aside it sounds like this was (poorly) planned back in 2017. This is really bad timing for us in Michigan.

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Wasnt there some hubub about whitmer also shutting down line 5?

These tryrants want to bring us to our knees. I know it sounds hyperbolic but how else can it be interpreted?

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Oh, perfect.

This coincides nicely with that little article that floated around the other day, predicting rolling brownouts up here over this coming June, July & August.

Something tells me all those little battery operated car toys are going to suddenly become a lot less popular if that indeed pans out.

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 02:19 PM
link   
In Maine we say a 60% electricity cost hike this year, along side the cost of heating fuel and gasoline doubling.
Those in power are squeezing us hard this year, with no end in sight.

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 02:21 PM
link   
At least one of those pesky airplanes didn't crash into it.

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

These tryrants want to bring us to our knees. I know it sounds hyperbolic but how else can it be interpreted?

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Get ready for a planned electricity shortage 😎

More of the same "thumbs in your eyes" governing 😎

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 02:41 PM
link   
To get rid of energy without a replacement will just make it so expensive no one below the top 5% can afford it, so people will need to downsize and that is what they want us all to do. Get you in a 700 sq ft place for a family of 4. Minimize your calorie intake, vastly reduce auto use, and make it unaffordable not to be government healthy labeled. Obama stated that the way to change people to how he would like everyone to be is just make everything unaffordable, well except for them...

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
To get rid of energy without a replacement will just make it so expensive no one below the top 5% can afford it, so people will need to downsize and that is what they want us all to do.

the problem is that replacement of power production these days will also just make it so expensive no one below the top 5% can afford it. because any replacement will have to be so called green energy production, which is more expensive to produce. this is why electricity prices skyrocketed in Ontario years ago when the liberals sunk billions of dollars into green energy production.

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 03:22 PM
link   
their shutting down everything! our food and energy!
this is #ed

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Increasing wattage charges are not being mentioned enough with this push for electric everything. Feels like a plan to control energy to me.

The conspiracy side of me thinks its a bigger plan for when solar max or cosmic wreckage of our grid or emp even false flag giving them unrelenquished control. As anyone in the know will have fail safes.

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Are they rerouting power from somewhere else? It didn't say anything in the article. It did say Biden put forth 6 billion to help keep plants open. They consider nuclear green, I guess that could be looked at two different ways. More of a YingYang energy. Anyways it's not good.

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I'm beyond spooked out what going on here in Michigan. It's starting to get real, really soon I suspect.

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Oh, perfect.

This coincides nicely with that little article that floated around the other day, predicting rolling brownouts up here over this coming June, July & August.

Something tells me all those little battery operated car toys are going to suddenly become a lot less popular if that indeed pans out.

So they are going to charge you more and have poop for service. If you need more it will take forever because of government regulation.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Go democrats go.

It's looking like the GOP will have to plan on going to work getting plans setup to run the US by over ruling the demos.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Lots of good memories of trolling for Coho Salmon near the Palisades warm water discharge some years, in early Spring.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 01:39 AM
link   
If they shut down a nuke plant, does that mean they'll have to burn more Coal and Gas to make up the difference ? 🍌

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Wouldnt you have to close the nuke plants down in the event of a nuclear war. They would be the danger as far as longtime radiation goes.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I'm not from MI and that doesn't matter. I'm FURIOUS about this decision. They didn't shut it down necessarily because it was defective. It is mentioned "operators made the conservative decision to shut down the plant early due to the performance of a control rod drive seal".

They shut it down:

In 2017, Entergy Corp. announced that it would shut down its Palisades plant in the spring of 2022]b] ‘due to a number of financial factors.’ The facility shut down also coincides with the expiration of the plant’s 15-year power purchase agreement with Consumers Energy, according to its news release

Entergy Corp said on Friday it has permanently shut a nuclear power station in Michigan despite a Biden administration plan to rescue plants like it because they generate electricity virtually free of carbon emissions.

White House national climate adviser Gina McCarthy has said that existing nuclear power plants will be needed to meet the Biden administration’s goals on slashing greenhouse gas emissions.

The Biden administration last month launched a $6 billion program to help save nuclear plants that are suffering rising security costs and stiff competition from other electricity generation sources including natural gas and renewable energy.

The first phase of the Civil Nuclear Credit program was meant to keep Palisades and California’s Diablo Canyon plant, owned by PG&E Corp, from shutting. It is uncertain whether Diablo Canyon can be saved by the program.

The first phase of the Civil Nuclear Credit program was meant to keep Palisades and California’s Diablo Canyon plant, owned by PG&E Corp, from shutting. It is uncertain whether Diablo Canyon can be saved by the program.

So what's really going on?????? Are billions of dollars not enough to fix a compromised seal issue? Is someone sabotaging the Green Energy plan? It also mentions that a neighboring nuclear facility Diablo may be a victim of shut down as well.

Why is this happening? I apologize for my naiveté but I don't get it and as others have said, this is bad timing.

<<   2 >>

join