It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly Twice as Many Iraqi Children Going Hungry Since Saddam's Ouster, U.N. Expert Says

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Profile of a 'UN EXPERT' - eurocentric, and at all costs anti-american.
Must be allowed bribes or at least allowed to steal cash from the
country assigned to 'watch over'. Sex with children required.

I don't believe there are true UN experts anywhere. The
UN is so corrupt it is impossible to believe anything they say.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

So your calling british UN experts pedofiles, currupt and now obbsessed with europe....yes thats reall "ally" like..

You did in iraq or do not believe in iraq anymore?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I dunno, Flyers Fan, you sound like one

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
So let me guess, all those who opposed the sanctions against Iraq and claimed that hundreds of thousands to a million children were dying [due to starvation and disease, etc.] because of it in Iraq, those conspiracy theories, claims, and assertions were a load of bunk, correct?

That is if what you are indicating is true, AceOfBase?

Incorrect Seeker.
Those claims were made in the mid 90's before Oil for Food started.
Once the Oil for Food program started it reduced the number of starving children to the point mentioned in the article. Instead of continuing it's decline, which it would have done if the sanctions were lifted without an accompanying war, the rates are actually rising.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
But the Oil for food idea turned into an Oil for Weapons deal. Do you think the folks making a ton of cash on this program were going to send inspectors to check out the children who wouldn't come back and say everything's dandy?

Last time I checked, C4 is a lot less filling than a loaf of bread.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
But the Oil for food idea turned into an Oil for Weapons deal. Do you think the folks making a ton of cash on this program were going to send inspectors to check out the children who wouldn't come back and say everything's dandy?

Last time I checked the UN wasnt supplying the iraqi gov with C-4 but hey if this is new "reliable" intel then I'll follow it......again...

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Last time I checked the UN wasnt supplying the iraqi gov with C-4 but hey if this is new "reliable" intel then I'll follow it......again...

lol no, no they weren't. However, the money Saddam was getting he was using to buy weapons from France, Germany and Russia. C4 was just a short little blurb that first came to mind.

No new intel on that

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

lol no, no they weren't. However, the money Saddam was getting he was using to buy weapons from France, Germany and Russia. C4 was just a short little blurb that first came to mind.

No new intel on that

Oh so the money he got in return for supplying people with food was being used to increase his defence forces...since the military is a defence force I have to think that he was buying things to defend himself.....

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
No one should be surprised by this news. The children suffered under the sanctions imposed mostly by the U.S., permanent member of the security council Things got somewhat better for them under the highly corrupt oil for food programme. Since the invasion though, can anyone really say that life is better for these people? Not that Saddam wasn't a terrible guy, but without the sanctions maybe the people would have had the strength to rise up on their own. The sanctions did way more harm than good to those poor Iraqis and now this...

Its so much easier to mind someone else's business then look to your own backyard and problems therein.

Disgusting.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Oh so the money he got in return for supplying people with food was being used to increase his defence forces...since the military is a defence force I have to think that he was buying things to defend himself.....

...I know you're trying to make a point here, I'm just missing it...

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   

...I know you're trying to make a point here, I'm just missing it...

Your makeing a point earlier that it turned into an"oil for weapons" deal....but this strictly isnt true thanks to fredT's (I think it was him) post above....Thats the point I was makeing...I started getting off topic...man I need sleep...

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Just curious but how does the UN know how many children are effected?

Where are they getting the facts and figures from, a Crystal Ball?

I see this as nothing but speculation considering the fact the UN has no presence in Iraq other then perhaps a few who monitored the elections.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

I see this as nothing but speculation considering the fact the UN has no presence in Iraq other then perhaps a few who monitored the elections.

How silly. Don't you know that any kind of criticism aimed at American policy or American government, or, heck, American people is free from the requirement that it be based in fact.

What is the percentage of Iraqi children who will not have to watch their mother be raped in a rape room now as compared to under Saddam's benevolent rule?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

The information came from the Iraqi Health Ministry and a Norwegian group called Fafo Institute for Applied International Studies.

Here's an article from November:

Washington Post

After the rate of acute malnutrition among children younger than 5 steadily declined to 4 percent two years ago, it shot up to 7.7 percent this year, according to a study conducted by Iraq's Health Ministry in cooperation with Norway's Institute for Applied International Studies and the U.N. Development Program. The new figure translates to roughly 400,000 Iraqi children suffering from "wasting," a condition characterized by chronic diarrhea and dangerous deficiencies of protein.
--snip--

International aid efforts and the U.N. oil-for-food program helped reduce the ruinous impact of sanctions, and the rate of acute malnutrition among the youngest Iraqis gradually dropped from a peak of 11 percent in 1996 to 4 percent in 2002. But the invasion in March 2003 and the widespread looting in its aftermath severely damaged the basic structures of governance in Iraq, and persistent violence across the country slowed the pace of reconstruction almost to a halt.
--snip--

[edit on 30-3-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
People you need to go back and research the after invasion when it was reports all over about the children's need, it was brought up by the Red cross, health world organization and later by the red crescent, it was told to the US over and over that children were becoming the unwilling victims of the invasion.

I still can not understand how people here are still coming back over and over about the "food for oil" scandal.

You people still don't get it, the children were hungry under Saddam they were dying after invasion and now they are hungry under the US eye watch.

Get it they are under US care now so US is responsible of their well being. Is not more debate all you have to do is do a search on this boards and you will see the related threads about how the Iraqi children has been suffering.

Regardless of the propaganda of "free Iraqi" and "free elections" and "everybody right to vote" the truth is that Iraq is now a dangerous place and is a hazard to their future the children, and nobody is helping with their needs.

As today Iraq is completely Dependant of the US for everyday needs.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   

The information came from a the Iraqi Health Ministry and a Norwegian group called Fafo Institute for Applied International Studies.

So the UN is taking credit for something they had nothing to do with?

Interesting and it has that familar oil for food ring to it.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Hey what happen with dropping food from the air like they have done many times before?

I got the feeling that US is not financially able to fulfill a task like that without borrowing more money.

After all the children has done nothing wrong they never ask for a war or for insurgents killing them and their parents due to bad security after the invasion, they are the future of Iraq after all.

The sad truth to dropping food in from the air. Did you see the reports of what happened after the tsunamis. It happens all around the world where we try to feed many people by merely "dropping" it. Greedy people who want to have power and control over the hungry get ahold of the food and run a little power control in local areas. It's horrible, but the sad truth. Too much greed in people, it's mankind's biggest downfall.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by steggyD
Too much greed in people, it's mankind's biggest downfall.

I honestly agree with you on that quote, but something has to be done.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
i just wonder how many children where raped while doing this study? It was a UN study right?

Seriously, the UN has never had credibility, why should it start now?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
i just wonder how many children where raped while doing this study? It was a UN study right?

They must have Catholic priests working for the UN.
As said before though, this wasn't a UN study that reported these figures.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join