It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best Survival Foods: Non-Perishables That Can Outlive You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2022 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Whether you’re sick of throwing out food that’s long past its expiry date, or are working on preparing a food stockpile in case of an emergency, consumables that practically never spoil can be a huge asset to your household. This article lists non-perishable food items that not only have long shelf lives, but if taken care of properly, these foods stand a chance of never going bad within your lifetime.

These ideal survival foods will of course need to be stored the right way in order to retain their practically never-ending shelf life. The absolute best place to keep a food stockpile is in a dark, cool, and dry spot, free of humidity, moisture, direct sunlight, and extreme temperatures. Keeping consumables in an air-tight container, or better yet, vacuum packed, is also very important to increasing shelf life.

Best Long Shelf-Life Non-Perishable Food Items You Can Buy

Read the rest of the article HERE

IMPORTANT: New (old) Standards Are Being Enforced (again) For New Threads
edit on Fri Jan 28 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: added ex tags IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jan, 28 2022 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mizzazz22
Whether you’re sick of throwing out food that’s long past its expiry date, or are working on preparing a food stockpile in case of an emergency, consumables that practically never spoil can be a huge asset to your household. This article lists non-perishable food items that not only have long shelf lives, but if taken care of properly, these foods stand a chance of never going bad within your lifetime.

These ideal survival foods will of course need to be stored the right way in order to retain their practically never-ending shelf life. The absolute best place to keep a food stockpile is in a dark, cool, and dry spot, free of humidity, moisture, direct sunlight, and extreme temperatures. Keeping consumables in an air-tight container, or better yet, vacuum packed, is also very important to increasing shelf life.

Best Long Shelf-Life Non-Perishable Food Items You Can Buy

Read the rest of the article HERE

I read every one of your posts and take notes

posted on Jan, 28 2022 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Go to a big box store and start looking at boxed food that only requires water. You would be surprised how good some of the stuff is for a dollar or less. Keep it dry and it will last 5-10 years.

posted on Jan, 28 2022 @ 10:54 PM
link   
We put foods into rotation and for the freezer meats, we keep plenty of salt on hand so we can salt it if needed. I suppose we could pick up another twenty five pounds of salt though, because we keep using the seasalt up and we get down to about twenty five pounds of salt sometimes. We also have bottles with canning lids, but do not know how to can stuff other than freezer jams and freezing veggies. But we have friends that know how to do that...come to think of it all of our friends that know how to do it are old and falling apart.

Maybe next summer we will go help some friends make some preserves so we know how to can things. I was hoping that if we died before something major happened that we would not need to do it. We do have all the necessary stuff to do canning though, it would be nice to get a bigger canning pot to heat the jars before putting the lids on, ours only does five quarts at a time.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

back in 1297 we used to sell salt more heavily than gold . we used goats. Salt was a high priority!

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 10:49 AM
link   
All of the Major Canning Supply places usually have Instructions on their web sites.
such as Kerr Mason etc.
Some even have downloadable Books.
Canning is easy been doing it for many years now.
You should check out Fermentation lots of things can be fermented.

originally posted by: rickymouse
We put foods into rotation and for the freezer meats, we keep plenty of salt on hand so we can salt it if needed. I suppose we could pick up another twenty five pounds of salt though, because we keep using the seasalt up and we get down to about twenty five pounds of salt sometimes. We also have bottles with canning lids, but do not know how to can stuff other than freezer jams and freezing veggies. But we have friends that know how to do that...come to think of it all of our friends that know how to do it are old and falling apart.

Maybe next summer we will go help some friends make some preserves so we know how to can things. I was hoping that if we died before something major happened that we would not need to do it. We do have all the necessary stuff to do canning though, it would be nice to get a bigger canning pot to heat the jars before putting the lids on, ours only does five quarts at a time.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Mizzazz22

I store lots of different types of foods.

But let me tell you about the beans. I have beans un-opened that I've been storing for the last 7 years. I took some out to test them the other day. It took 2 days over 20 hours of sitting in a crock pot on high before they where soft enough to eat.

So yes beans will last but the older they are the longer you have to cook them before they are edible.
I was using a crock pot so there was very little water loss during the cooking. But if I had been using a fire pit the way one would do if there was no electricity it would have taken gallons and gallons and gallons of water.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

canning fruits and vegs is pretty easy tons of step by step primitive canny videos on youtube.

It's canning meats that's hard. Not something I would do without modern canning equipment that uses electricity. To much risk of poison.

new topics

top topics

join